Topics

locked Gaps in message numbering

My group is fully moderated. Today at some point of time
there were 3 pending messages. I approved them via email.
They got numbers 77513, 77514, 77516.
On my test group the first message got number 1, the second
number 13. It's not a problem, just something strange.

Lena,

This is caused by how we (currently) do message threading. When we get a message, we look at the References header. For message ids in the references header that do not match messages we already have, we create placeholder messages in the database, in anticipation of receiving those messages at some point (we're assuming messages have been delivered out of order). Each placeholder message takes a message number. We also do this so that we're better able to match messages to specific threads.

So my guess is that one of the messages you approved had a lot of references, which, in the test group, did not match any existing messages, which caused the creation of a bunch of placeholder messages.

I've been contemplating getting rid of placeholder messages. I'm not sure how much they benefit us when threading messages, especially since I added code that matches subject lines last year. But I have not had a chance to look at it more in depth.

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 2:30 AM, Лена <Lena@...> wrote:
My group is fully moderated. Today at some point of time
there were 3 pending messages. I approved them via email.
They got numbers 77513, 77514, 77516.
On my test group the first message got number 1, the second
number 13. It's not a problem, just something strange.

Sharon Villines

On Aug 19, 2016, at 1:28 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

I've been contemplating getting rid of placeholder messages. I'm not sure how much they benefit us when threading messages, especially since I added code that matches subject lines last year. But I have not had a chance to look at it more in depth.
I’m a newbie to groups.io considering moving a 3,000 member list plus archives to groups.io.

Just thinking about placeholder messages makes me queasy. People want to see their messages posted as soon as they send them. If the subject matches something else, fine. But there is no expectation of them matching anything. It would just delay posting.

Sharon.
----
TakomaDC@...

Where Everyone Trims Their Tails,
Smothers Flames, Ignores Trolls, and
Never Sends Private Messages to the List.

Hi Sharon,

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 10:38 AM, Sharon Villines <sharon@...> wrote:

Just thinking about placeholder messages makes me queasy. People want to see their messages posted as soon as they send them.

Placeholders are just an internal bookkeeping thing. You never see them and they don't delay messages at all.

Cheers,
Mark

Sharon Villines

Thanks!