Topics

moderated Messages Read from Group's pages

Leeni

I don't know if this has been addressed or not.
I know that the shortest amount of time that a message can be locked is 1 day if it isn't locked manually sooner.

Is there any way a selection could be added to have messages automatically  locked as soon as they are sent OR another option would be having a way to hide the messages from the members.

The reason behind my question.
My groups are Signature Tag Request groups. One group the offers are really short term offers like for the first 10 members who request.

Most members are getting the offer via email as my group is basically an email group and that is what we need it to be. Not a forum where they can read the offers from the group pages.

There are a few members who hang out at the messages waiting for new offers to come through and they are at an advantage to get their requests in quicker then anyone else and end up getting all of the tags that way.

While I am online almost 24/7 I can't lock the messages quick enough.

Thanks. Ilene

Toby Kraft

Ilene,
I don't know what a signature tag request is but it sounds like groups.io may not be a good fit for these offer announcements.  Even email is not a good mechanism as there is no way to ensure that all recipients receive the message at the same time, if that's what's intended.  I know of no way to have the message emailed but not displayed on the web site.  Even locked topics are still visible and the member can then check their email to reply directly to the poster.
A group text message with the email of the poster and info on the offer might be a better approach as that is more "real time".
Just a thought.
Toby

Leeni

My groups were functioning fine in Yahoo groups as an email based group.
The only reason for my switch to IO was because one group depended upon the mail to be sent immediately where yahoo had many delays.

You misunderstood what I was asking.
I would like the messages on the group site to be locked immediately upon sending or a way to hide the messages from subscribers altogether.

A signature tag request group is many elderly homebound members like to send emails to their friends and grandchildren and like to put a cute fun tag with their name on it or a Grandma tag in their email. It is a tag that takes the place of just writing a name.

Now it doesn't matter if everyone receives the email at the same time. That is the nature of the group to see the offer for the signature tag in their inbox and not from the site. If they see an offer is made, they need to hunt in their email inbox, spam, trash etc for it.

I know that locked topics can be read. But they cannot request a tag from those locked topics. They need to find the original email and reply showing the complete email from the person offering the tag and that is okay and they could be doing that. But they aren't.

I don't understand what you mean by a group text message.

Ilene

I don't know what a signature tag request is but it sounds like groups.io may not be a good fit for these offer announcements.  Even email is not a good mechanism as there is no way to ensure that all recipients receive the message at the same time, if that's what's intended.  I know of no way to have the message emailed but not displayed on the web site.  Even locked topics are still visible and the member can then check their email to reply directly to the poster.
A group text message with the email of the poster and info on the offer might be a better approach as that is more "real time".
Just a thought.
Toby

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 11:11 PM, magicalkingdomgroups@... wrote:
I know that the shortest amount of time that a message can be locked is 1 day if it isn't locked manually sooner.
Ilene --

You can set up a hashtag that -- when used -- locks the topic as soon as it is posted. You can also set up your group to require hashtags, and also set it up so only Moderators can create hashtags. See where I'm going with this?

-- Your group requires hashtags,
-- You only have one available, and
-- It locks the topic.

I know it's a kludge, and will require some training of your subscribers. But it should work.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Leeni

I know the shortest amount of time is 1 day to lock a topic unless I go in and do it manually.

Now I am computer illiterate.
I really don't know what a hashtag is

I don't understand what needs to be done.
My members I know won't understand hashtags either so if they have to do it, then that would be a no go.

But if it was something I can set up, then I'd give it a try.

Ilene

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 05:01 PM, magicalkingdomgroups@... wrote:
But if it was something I can set up, then I'd give it a try.
If I understand you correctly, what you really want is to disable the online message archive altogether, perhaps as a new entry in the Visibility dropdown in the group Settings. You also previously stated in GMF that this option was available to you in Y!G.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just trying to suggest a workaround that might make life easier for you while Mark ponders (and prioritizes) the notion. We can discuss the settings by reopening your thread in GMF from mid-May. I'll post something over there in a few minutes.

Regards,
Bruce

Leeni

Yes, you are understanding me correctly.
I want to be able to disable the online message archive, if not all together if it can't be done,  but have the option to hide it from members. A new entry in the Visibility dropdown in the group Settings would be wonderful.

Yes that option was available in Y groups
See attachment

A workaround will help if there is one.

I appreciate you opening up the discussion again in GMF as now the issue has become more noticeable about something having to be done since the members now have had time to explore groups IO and what they are able to do that they couldn't do in Y groups because I had that feature disabled from them.

I also realize that this issue may not be high priority for Mark reading about all he has done and needs to do. One thing I do have is patience and understanding as long as I know I have been heard which I have. I do love Groups IO a lot and probably will in the near future transfer my other 3 groups over to IO.

Thanks, Ilene

But if it was something I can set up, then I'd give it a try.
If I understand you correctly, what you really want is to disable the online message archive altogether, perhaps as a new entry in the Visibility dropdown in the group Settings. You also previously stated in GMF that this option was available to you in Y!G.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just trying to suggest a workaround that might make life easier for you while Mark ponders (and prioritizes) the notion. We can discuss the settings by reopening your thread in GMF from mid-May. I'll post something over there in a few minutes.

Regards,
Bruce

Tom Vail

-- Your group requires hashtags,
-- You only have one available, and
-- It locks the topic.
I know it's a kludge, and will require some training of your subscribers. But it should work.

Bruce's idea above may not be that much of a "kludge" after all.  You could include the required hashtag in the "Subject Tag" under "Message Format" (see settings) which will automatically include it in every message.  (Note I have not tested this, but we add text there which is helpful.  The only problem would be is if for some reason it strips hashtags from the "Subject Tag.")

Peace,
Tom

Leeni

Okay I see
This way the taggers wouldn't have to remember to add it there themselves.
That sound like a good idea.
Ilene

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 01:43 PM, Tom Vail wrote:
Bruce's idea above may not be that much of a "kludge" after all.  You could include the required hashtag in the "Subject Tag" under "Message Format" (see settings) which will automatically include it in every message.
Tom -- I just tried this in the ShalsTest group and it doesn't work. The hashtag goes out in the email bug is not actually "applied" to the topic. Good idea, though.

Mark -- It seems our workaround isn't working very well. We also just today had another inquiry about this in GMF. The ability to disable the online message archive remains a desirable feature to a those who would prefer a listserv-like, email-only interface.

Thanks,
Bruce

Paul Webster

+1 from me for this

Situation is that existing members discuss whether or not a new person should join an organisation.
If the vote is split and the person joins then if they have access to the archives then they would also see who did not support their entry.

Today those discussions happen on YG with archiving turned off.
Moving over to groups.io to regain access to shared files area etc is hindered by not having easy way to restrict archiving.
If automatic locking after 1 day completely hides the content then that could be OK.

Christos G. Psarras

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 01:28 PM, Paul Webster wrote:
Situation is that existing members discuss whether or not a new person should join an organisation.
If the vote is split and the person joins then if they have access to the archives then they would also see who did not support their entry.
Paul,

There is a way to do what you want, create an off-the-record subgroup.

1. When the time comes to discuss an applicant, create a private subgroup (not listed in parent group, messages viewable by subgroup members only)
2. Configure the subgroup the way you want it to operate, wide open conversation I guess.
2. Add all parent group members to it.
3. The applicant's acceptance discussions take place strictly on that subgroup only, not on the parent group, strictly enforced.
4. When done, delete the subgroup; no trace left on the group's online archives.

Cheers,
Christos