Topics

locked keep history available for members who left #suggestion

Often I'll get a notice that such-and-such @ whatever email address "has left." Sometimes I don't even remember who that was. Sometimes they've changed their name and/or email address since joining so I can't even find them in my emails or their initial join request. The notice provides a link to the former member, but that leads to a dead end if they have no Groups.io profile, and even if they do have a profile, it leads only to their profile and no information about their activity in the group.

When a member leaves the group, I'd like to be able to recall something about who they are and what they were doing in the group. Is it possible, when a group member leaves, to retain a "unsubscribed/left member" page and to offer the option, when the member leaves, of deleting it or keeping it?

Maria

Second.

J - can you test if you search the logs for the new email address if it will tell you what the old one was? Like a xx@email . com changed their address from zzz @ email.com ?

This way at least we can determine who the person leaving "was" and you can match it to your join records?

Curious because I am sure this is something we will also have a need for.

Thanks!

Maria

I tried that for the particular member who left this morning. They didn't show up under either "changed email" or "changed name." I did a search in the log using the member's name and the only thing that came up was "left via web." Nothing even for "applied for membership." It's possible the member joined before we moved from Yahoo.

Bug report while I'm at it (will also email support): After entering a search term (in this case, the member name) into the search box in the member activity log, and doing the first search, the search term won't go away. Even after deleting it, it comes back again and again with all those symbols. (This used to be a general search bug but got fixed. Evidently it remains in the activity log search.)

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 9:11 AM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

When a member leaves the group, I'd like to be able to recall something about who they are and what they were doing in the group. Is it possible, when a group member leaves, to retain a "unsubscribed/left member" page and to offer the option, when the member leaves, of deleting it or keeping it?

Hmm. What if, if someone has left the group, if you click their name/email address in the activity log, instead of going to their subscription page, which is what it would do if the person were still a member, it returns a search of all their activities in the group?

Sounds like that might be good enough.

What happens if the person has a Groups.io profile? Would we get this proposed "all activities" search, or would we get just their profile, as we get now? Is there a way to get both?

Would the activities search give us anything beyond what we can get right now by doing our own activities search?

Thanks.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 12:20 PM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Sounds like that might be good enough.

What happens if the person has a Groups.io profile? Would we get this proposed "all activities" search, or would we get just their profile, as we get now? Is there a way to get both?

I suppose I could have it have a link to their profile.

Would the activities search give us anything beyond what we can get right now by doing our own activities search?

No, it'd be the same thing. Is there anything else you're looking for?

Mark,

Is there anything else you're looking for?
I was thinking in terms of retaining a static copy of their Subscription page.

That would be particularly of interest if there are any entries in their Activity History which are not also present in the group's logs. I hope there aren't any, but for all the same reasons you provide this per-member log it could be convenient to see it for former members.

Access to the former member's Email Delivery History might also be useful, especially in the case where they were unsubscribed automatically due to expiration of the bounce mechanism. Or maybe by operation of the FBL.

Access to their +owner Messages and Notes might also be of interest. For example, in discussing with other moderators why this member was removed or banned.

Which naturally leads to the idea of keeping a list of Former Members, adding to our collection of Members, Bouncing, Banned, and Pending.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 12:22 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Is there anything else you're looking for

No, I just wanted to know whether we could already easily find the information, rather than you having to provide another means to get it. And I was hoping to still get the profile in addition to the info.

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 01:09 pm, Shal Farley wrote:
the idea of keeping a list of Former Members

LOVE this idea. It would be really convenient, with all the info that Shal outlines here. I would like, however, to be able to cull (remove members from) that list if and when it starts to bog down (or other reasons).

Maria

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 04:05 pm, J_catlady wrote:
On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 01:09 pm, Shal Farley wrote:
the idea of keeping a list of Former Members

LOVE this idea. It would be really convenient, with all the info that Shal outlines here. I would like, however, to be able to cull (remove members from) that list if and when it starts to bog down (or other reasons).

 As do I, especially if it ties in to what Mark mentioned in the mid year roadmap:

https://groups.io/g/beta/message/8656?p=,,,20,1,0,0

"Ability to deactivate members instead of removing them"

Maria

J,

I would like, however, to be able to cull (remove members from) that
list if and when it starts to bog down (or other reasons).
I concur with that idea.

It could be an Action menu item after selecting one or more former member records in the list. With the appropriate warning that it is a permanent removal of the information.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

I'm having a lot of trouble finding apparently correct results in a member activity search after a member leaves the group. A member left yesterday and all that appears in the history is the action of leaving. Also, when I search on a member name (after the member has left), it returns different results from when I search on the email address. The email address also appears to work (in some cases) only if the "@gmail.com" part is left out of the search term. I could go on and on with the seeming anomalies and seemingly incorrect or weird results. I don't even remember them all but can go back in and find details and report them to support as bugs. I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Bottom line, I'm finding the member activity search after a member leaves extremely flakey and unpredictable, and therefore it would really be helpful for this to be facilitated as proposed above by Mark and Shal.