Topics

locked Make Date (or Time, when newer) on Messages consistently Date-Time #suggestion

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

The title pretty much sums it up.

There are many times when I find it very handy to know exactly how many minutes, hours, etc., transpired between two posts in a single thread/topic.  Unless there's a setting somewhere at the user level I've forgotten or can't find, posts from the current day show only the time (which is fine, so long as it remains the current day) but as soon as midnight passes what is displayed reverts to date only.

On other sites such as this one I have seen either constant standard date-time, e.g., "On Tue., 8/16/2006 at 10:20 AM," or "Today, 9:08 AM."   Sometimes the use of today/yesterday for those two dates, e.g., "Posted Yesterday at 5:50 PM," is used.

I know that the actual date-time stamp for posting exists behind the scenes and the time only is being used for posts from today and the date only is being used for older posts.  I'd really prefer a true date-time stamp be shown.

--
Brian

Hovering on the Date of a post will show the time when it's from the previous day (or earlier.) I use Absolute time as my site preference, so not sure if this is the same for Relative.

Duane

Brian,

I recently posed a question on GMF about this because I wasn't seeing absolute dates any more, and got the same answer from Duane about hovering. I answered that I always forget to hover. Now that you, too, are bringing this up (unless I misunderstand your post), I'll second it. I do find having to hover inconvenient and would expect that since I have date setting set to absolute, I would see that in general without having to hover. It would be much more convenient. Plus, most people will absolutely not know that they can hover and see the absolute time. They'll just assume (as I did) that the only thing available is the date. I agree that in a quick-moving conversation especially, you want to know exactly when messages were posted. Even if you can hover on one at a time, you still can't see the sequence of all the times at once.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Duane & J,

              I hadn't known about the hover.  Speaking for myself, that's absolutely not preferable and really not usable for all practical intents and purposes.  I really want to be able to glance down the page of open messages in a thread and see the full date-time stamp as part of each message so that I am able to reconstruct the timing in a series of messages.

              This is the only site that I use that doesn't use a full date-time stamp for all date-time related information by default.   I really have no problem with time only for messages from today, as it's clear that when you're seeing time only it's only for messages from today.  Any older messages should have not only the date, but the time displayed as well.
--
Brian

Duane,

I use Absolute time as my site preference, so not sure if this is the
same for Relative.
Mark said he is moving (has moved?) away from using that preference.
https://groups.io/g/beta/message/10000

Perhaps what is needed is another distinction between the desktop and mobile interface, if the shorter format is really helpful on mobile.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Maria

In Y! groups you see the date and time ( not year) when you click in to a message ( so not in the message list view).

So it would read: Aug 14 7:23 PM

Here we have the message # which adds another visual of numbers and I suspect that adding the whole date+time plus that message # on same line won't look nice at all.

I'd suggest if the date/time is made viewable without the hover that:

- either the message # be something you find by hovering over the link icon

or

- that the time date be in small grey type under the author

Or some other way to not make that right hand corner look like an enormous amount of #'s between the message # on the nav arrows, the blue message # and then the date/time. Too much :)

Maria

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 08:03 am, HR Tech wrote:
the message # be something you find by hovering over the link icon

I think this would be better.

Maria

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 08:02 am, Shal Farley wrote:
if the shorter format is really helpful on mobile.

On mobile you don't see the message # - and that's totally fine.

If you added date+time instead of only time or only date, you'd just need to make the font a touch smaller but it would totally work (in single message view).

Maria

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

J,

           You'll know I concur with the message number by hover, since I never use message numbers and always give the full click-through link if I am trying to direct someone to a specific message since the numbers are a completely arbitrary thing with no inherent meaning.

            The message number is and always will be the cyber equivalent of an appendix to me.
--
Brian

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 08:28 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
The message number is and always will be the cyber equivalent of an appendix to me.

I use it once in a blue moon. I find it (irrationally?) reassuring that it's there, but that's about it. :-)

I use message numbers all the time and would prefer they not be hidden.

I'd also be happier with a full date/time time stamp shown without hovering, though it would also be OK to say "Today" or "Yesterday" in place of the dates on recent messages. Full time stamps would make it easier to figure out where I left off reading from a previous day.

JohnF

Nightowl >8#

On 8/16/2016 10:03 AM, HR Tech via Groups.io wrote:>> - either the message # be something you find by hovering over the link icon<<
That would never work for me. I use the message number to navigate, as I have explained before, and it cannot be used in that manner if it is not showing. I am completely against having to hover for the Message #.

Brenda

Nightowl >8#

J_catlady wrote:>>I think this would be better. <<

I am completely against hiding the Message Numbers. I have explained in depth that I and others use them to navigate, and for reference. I cannot do that if they are hidden.

Brenda

Actually, upon further thought I agree with Brenda (shocker!) that you shouldn't have to hover to get the message #. Although contrary to what Brenda says I don't think that many people use them for navigation or search (according to the query by Mark a few months ago), I do think the sequential ordering of messages as a whole should be visible without having to hover. For example, the message #'s all appearing on the same page (without hovering) lets moderators easily see that a message has been deleted, without having to pore through logs and/or use guesswork.

Bottom line, I don't think you should have to hover over either thing, message # OR date. Unlike Trump (according to Borowitz, see below), I have nothing against numbers, even lots of them, if they are helpful.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

Nightowl >8#

JohnF via Groups.io wrote:>>I use message numbers all the time and would prefer they not be hidden.<<

Same here. I believe I've already stressed the importance of navigating using the Message Numbers and would not want them hidden. I feel as strongly about this now as I did before. It's a way to navigate that many people use, they just aren't in here to point it out.

One of the main reasons that Yahoo failed so badly in their redesign, was that they started hiding all the controls, the information, forcing everyone to hover or mouse over things just to find them. I do not understand the desperate need to "unclutter" the desktop interface, because the whole point of finding a new home was to avoid that problem, get our controls and information back where we could see them, especially for those for whom hovering and flashing controls cause people with disabilities to have bad reactions.

I would hate to see us go down that same road on this platform when we have worked so hard for two years to tweak it to the point where it met the majority of needs of the Yahoo refugees.

If the problem is on Mobile, then maybe it needs a separate redesign. That's where Yahoo failed, in trying to create one platform that fits all.

Brenda

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

So, now all voices have spoken.

There does not seem to be any objection and, in fact, there appears to be support for a full date-time stamp of some sort.

Message number is it's own thing and I have no objection if it stays or goes, as I ignore it.  It's just fine if it stays, as people very quickly adjust to whatever standard display format is used on a given venue and put in place the mental filters that allow them to focus on the information presented that is relevant to them.  I haven't, and am not, asking for it to be removed.  That was someone else's suggestion and it was exactly that:  a suggestion.
--
Brian

Maria

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 10:44 am, J_catlady wrote:
I have nothing against numbers, even lots of them, if they are helpful.

I don't either, and I don't have anything against the message #, but I do think that the design should be clean and beautiful and that's easy to do by moving things around, selecting type size and color etc... My suggestions were based on my feeling that having full date+time +message # all on one line would not look good.

I think having date+ time under the author's name in small grey would look nice - which in turn would give the message # some breathing space.

Maria

That sounds great, but would it add another whole (unnecessary) line to the display? If not, sounds great. If it adds a line (resulting in fewer messages per page), I'd vote against it.

Maria

Just to clarify - I am talking about in single message view or when you view all messages in a thread. I am not talking about the topics or messages list.

Are you guys talking about adding date+time to the topics/message list? If so I would not be in favor of that really... but don't mind the way Y! does it now where you see the date/time in the single message or the expanded thread view.

As to where I would move the date+time stamp if it were expanded to include all that info in single message view or expanded thread view, my suggestion was visualizing it in small grey font under the author's name so that it aligns with the bottom of the profile pic. Just like on facebook's web version and notification emails. Again, in single message view and when you see the whole thread only.

Just an idea if the date gets longer.

Maria

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:17 pm, HR Tech wrote:
Are you guys talking about adding date+time to the topics/message list

Yes.