Topics

moderated Going to groups directly from browser's address bar

Christopher Hallsworth <challsworth2@...>

Hello to the list.

I think Mark's idea of going to groups directly from the browser's address bar is a good one. This makes, for example posting to specific groups easier. Now, I can go to http://groupname.groups.io, select new topic from the bottom of the page, and bingo! I can post a new topic with ease. Try it folks.

Huh?

Chris Jones

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 05:15 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Huh?
I don't think I could have put that any better. Firstly the statement Now, I can go to http://groupname.groups.io is incorrect; it returns a list of things that (in my case) Google has found in respect of the group I moderate. To have any chance of working it has to be https... which makes a world of difference.to the outcome.

I still don't know what the "point" actually is anyway; I have a shortcut on this PC (ditto the laptop used when I am elsewhere) which takes me to a (Groups.io) list of all my groups from which I can go to the message page of my choice. No typing in the browser at all.

Chris ("Puzzled of Northern England")

Toby Kraft

The point is - your group's home page can be accessed as <groupname>.groups.io instead of groups.io/g/<groupname> which is simpler (no "/"s in the URL, eg there is no path following the host/domain name).
I tried both http and https and both worked correctly.  I think this used to work, got broke somewhere along the line and is now fixed.
It's nothing more than a slight convenience and can be simply ignored if you like.  The nickname for our group is "ecn" so I can tell people our site is "ecn.groups.io" which is way easier to write/say than one with a couple of '/'s.  My 2¢ worth..
Toby

Thanks for that clarification. I think this is a huge boon!