Topics

moderated Change of Appearance

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 01:45 PM, Jim Higgins wrote:
as I slowly shrink the browser width it gets smaller until at about 85% screen width it gets suddenly quite a bit (disproportionately) larger,
I agree with Jim about the algorithm having a hiccup at a certain point as the width gets narrower.

On the other hand, the display rendering is pretty nifty for really narrow displays when it puts the menu in a compact version below the messages.

--
Gerald

Jim Higgins

It's a nice width - same as I remember or close enough - when my browser (Firefox) is full screen (1280w X 1024h), which is my norm. Then as I slowly shrink the browser width it gets smaller until at about 85% screen width it gets suddenly quite a bit (disproportionately) larger, then gets smaller from that point as the screen is shrunk further until it disappears suddenly at maybe 55% screen width. I can't say I've ever seen behavior like that anywhere before. Not a problem at all, just saying because it was really strange... all of which I'd never have noticed if it hadn't been mentioned.

Jim H

Received from Mark Fletcher at 8/17/2018 04:06 PM UTC:

I tweaked the size of the sidebar in some instances to hopefully prevent word wrapping when it becomes too narrow. With the framework I use for the website, I'm a bit limited in the sizing of columns, so for particular browser widths, it could appear larger than necessary. Expanding or shrinking the width of your browser will change it.

Chris Jones

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 05:06 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I'm happy to revert the change if it's more of an issue for people than word wrapping because the sidebar is too narrow.
I'm not going to pretend that it's a major issue because from my point of view it isn't; I was just wondering if (a) it was my fevered imagination, or (b) it was accidental.

As it's neither of the above I'll wait and see like everyone else.

Thanks for the prompt clarification.

Chris

Hi Chris,

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 8:28 AM, Chris Jones via Groups.Io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:
Every one of my individual Groups.io groups has had the width of the (left hand) sidebar increased with the exception of the "summary" page with all my groups listed. As a result the side bar is much wider than it needs to be, and of course there has been a corresponding reduction in the width for the "substance" of any page.

I tweaked the size of the sidebar in some instances to hopefully prevent word wrapping when it becomes too narrow. With the framework I use for the website, I'm a bit limited in the sizing of columns, so for particular browser widths, it could appear larger than necessary. Expanding or shrinking the width of your browser will change it.

I'm happy to revert the change if it's more of an issue for people than word wrapping because the sidebar is too narrow.

Chris Jones

Every one of my individual Groups.io groups has had the width of the (left hand) sidebar increased with the exception of the "summary" page with all my groups listed. As a result the side bar is much wider than it needs to be, and of course there has been a corresponding reduction in the width for the "substance" of any page.

Is this deliberate or a mishap of some sort? If intentional, what is the intent?

Chris