Topics

moderated Database upgrade #downtime - Fri, 8/17/18 9:00pm-11:00pm #downtime #cal-reminder

Haha!

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 9:28 AM, Marv Waschke <marv@...> wrote:
With absolutely no sarcasm intended, Mark runs this service like a pro. Marv

Marv Waschke

With absolutely no sarcasm intended, Mark runs this service like a pro. Marv

First things first! 😊

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 7:42 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 7:12 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 11:00 PM, "main@beta.groups.io Calendar" <main@beta.groups.io> wrote:
I will put up a banner on the site during the day of, announcing the downtime.
Not seeing any banners (yet?).  Will the banners be a manual thing or were they scheduled?  If scheduled, possibly related to the GO update?

Should be up now. It's a manual thing, and I had to feed the kids breakfast first. :-)

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 7:12 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 11:00 PM, "main@beta.groups.io Calendar" <main@beta.groups.io> wrote:
I will put up a banner on the site during the day of, announcing the downtime.
Not seeing any banners (yet?).  Will the banners be a manual thing or were they scheduled?  If scheduled, possibly related to the GO update?

Should be up now. It's a manual thing, and I had to feed the kids breakfast first. :-)

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 11:00 PM, "main@beta.groups.io Calendar" <main@beta.groups.io> wrote:
I will put up a banner on the site during the day of, announcing the downtime.
Not seeing any banners (yet?).  Will the banners be a manual thing or were they scheduled?  If scheduled, possibly related to the GO update?

Barb M

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 08:55 AM, Susan Fox wrote:

This response is a bit OT, but the contrast is just too overwhelming not to mention
I had the same thoughts when I let my subscription team know about the problem with adds and invites the other day! Isn't it amazing to deal with someone who lets us know what's going on? They all agreed - having lived through many days of YG being totally "down" with not only no explanation, but no acknowledgement afterwards that it even happened. Wish we had switched years ago!

Barb

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 07:53 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
groups.io only provides 1 mg of free storage as opposed to yahoo's "very important" 2 mg.
Sorry, meant GB! I have cat meds on the brain. :)

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 06:55 AM, Susan Fox wrote:
they should NOT resist the impulse to tell other groups how great Groups.IO is
Go ahead and tell people, but be prepared for strong resistance (and rotten eggs thrown in your face;). This morning the mod of that group posted another message saying the delay in my messages is my own ISP's fault (it's not), and that they looked into it and groups.io only provides 1 mg of free storage as opposed to yahoo's "very important" 2 mg. I know of several non-premium io groups with greater storage requirements than theirs, and I debated arguing, but I'm not going out on a limb again after what happened last time.

Susan Fox

I agree that Groups.IO is great. I would also tell people that they should NOT resist the impulse to tell other groups how great Groups.IO is.  With Big Tent also shutting down (I was offered a consulting job with them years ago) having platforms that suit our needs is super important.

Susan

SOOOO happy to have moved off Yahoo…

Re: Database upgrade #downtime - Fri, 8/17/18 9:00pm-11:00pm
From: J_Catlady
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 00:39:39 EDT

This response is a bit OT, but the contrast is just too overwhelming not to mention: a couple of days ago I had to join a yahoo group because of a cat situation. I managed to get into my old account somehow and join (not an easy accomplishment - as some of you might remember, there's no "send me a link to log in" over there;) Every single one of my posts was delayed by hours or even, in one case, by an entire day. A couple of them posted relatively quickly, and of course out of order, resulting in a completely asynchronous conversation. It's like a complete disaster over there! I had really forgotten how bad things were! I posted something to the effect that my posts were being delayed (that post itself was delayed lol), and someone posted back, "Yahoo is a free service and we get what we pay for." I wanted to say, "Groups.io is also a free service, and when the site goes down even for an hour we get several days notice and banners go up informing everyone that posts will be slightly delayed, and there is an explanation for the downtime, etc." But of course I had to resist the impulse. Last time I tried that in a yahoo group, they shot the messenger. (Six months later, they moved to groups.io on their own. They sent me an invitation lol.)

[...]

Reminder:
Database upgrade #downtime

When:
Friday, 17 August 2018
9:00pm to 11:00pm
(GMT-07:00) America/Los Angeles

The site will be down while I upgrade the main database server, along with a couple other machines. Emails sent during this time will be queued and sent when the site is back up.

I will put up a banner on the site during the day of, announcing the downtime.

View Event.