Topics

moderated Unsubscribed because a message to them was marked as spam

Bob Bellizzi

Mark,
I've had 19 unsubscribes since July 18, 2018 and I haven't seen one of these since that date, making 20..
Is the system still working for spam marked emails or is it disabled or broken?

--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 3:13 PM, Bob Bellizzi <cdfexec@...> wrote:

I've had 19 unsubscribes since July 18, 2018 and I haven't seen one of these since that date, making 20..
Is the system still working for spam marked emails or is it disabled or broken?

I'm not aware of any issues with the FBL stuff. Are you saying that no one on your list is getting unsubscribed for marking messages as spam, or are you saying that you're not receiving the notifications?

Bob Bellizzi

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 04:07 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Are you saying that no one on your list is getting unsubscribed for marking messages as spam,
Yes, not since July 18, 2018 have I seen any.  There were only 2 in July and about 14 in June, 11 in May, 5 in April, 7 in March.
We had 77 in the year ending July 18, 2018.
Not having one marked as spam in almost a month is very unusual.
I tend to track things and notice when they change.
Either you've entirely slammed the spam unsubscribe issue or something else.
Bob

--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Bob,

Either you've entirely slammed the spam unsubscribe issue or something
else.
Candidates for "something else":

o The members using affected services learned to handle it,

o or left your group,

o or changed services.

o The spam filters of the affected services were told "not spam" often enough that they learned not to put your group's messages into the members' spam folders.

The first and last of which were the hoped-for goals of unsubscription as a teaching tool.

Shal

Jim Higgins

I got a notice this morning so the notice part of the process is working.

Jim H

Received from Bob Bellizzi at 8/16/2018 06:50 PM UTC

Yes, not since July 18, 2018 have I seen any.

Patty Sliney

I am not getting any notices of list members unsubbed for marking a message as spam.  Is this a feature not available for the free level of groups.io?  Or, maybe I need to change our list settings so list mods get notifications?

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 09:24 PM, Patty Sliney wrote:
I am not getting any notices of list members unsubbed for marking a message as spam.
Go to Subscription>Notifications and make sure "Email when a member joins/leaves this group" is checked.

This is not a feature request. Please post such inquiries to GroupManagersForum.

Regards,
Bruce

Bob Bellizzi

Thanks Shal,
But we average about 50-60 newbies each month and quite a few unsubbed for spam were usually in that group.
It seems that the services most often doing this are Hotmail, RoadRunner, Yahoo, Yahoo based services (all att domains, Verizon)
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Bob,

But we average about 50-60 newbies each month and quite a few unsubbed
for spam were usually in that group.
That doesn't preclude the last of the candidates.

Or maybe Groups.io is getting to be "too big to block" [nods at Lena] for some services.

It seems that the services most often doing this are Hotmail,
RoadRunner, Yahoo, Yahoo based services (all att domains, Verizon)
We've been making a list, though I can't say we've been checking it twice ;-)
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Removed-for-spam#Service-Providers

Shal

Chris Jones

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 11:13 PM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
I've had 19 unsubscribes since July 18, 2018 and I haven't seen one of these since that date, making 20..
Is the system still working for spam marked emails or is it disabled or broken?
Bob; going right back to when you started this thread, but following your most recent post a couple of questions spring to mind.

  • Have you looked at your Activity log? Use the Removed because of spam report Action filter; that will list those members who were removed for that reason. Use the Resumed Membership filter to find those that took appropriate remedial action. Are there any entries for which you did not receive notifications?

  • Have you read the GMF wiki on the subject? Removed for Marking Messages as spam is here. There is a list of Mail Service Providers known or suspected of operating FBLs to trigger removal of members. And yes; the service providers you named are on it. :)

Chris

Bob Bellizzi

Chris,
Thanks, & yes I track those things but also keep all emails including removed, Unsubscribed, rejoined joined, etc.
We even send an inquiry email to each one who unsubscribes for any reason asking them to tell us something about why they did so.
In about 95% of unsubscribes, we never receive a response to that.
Many of the responders say something intelligent like, "I set for individual emails and I've received too many"
If they are lurkers, we don't encourage rejoining but if they are contributors or actively seeking help we try to reach out and re-direct invite them.

I and my other owners/moderators/mentors have been operating this group for almost 20 years, long before Yahoo swallowed either e groups or ecircles, whichever came last.
I wasn't complaining.  I was just indicating that there has been a drastic reduction in the number of spam tagged messages and members recently.
Sometimes drastic changes indicate success & at other times, they might be flags indication something went wrong.

--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®