moderated #owner

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 06:20 AM, Peter Simpson wrote:
I saw that Mark often posts in this forum and assumed that it was the way to communicate with him.
You can reach him at support@groups.io. He is generally extremely responsive.

Peter Simpson

Thanks both for your responses. Posting here seems to have been a newbie mistake on my part, I did so because I saw that Mark often posts in this forum and assumed that it was the way to communicate with him.

I'll pass on your feedback to the rest of the team.

Regards, Peter

Having been a groups.io group owner for about three years, I can say that there are absolutely zero politics involved in any way, shape, or form, and that there is zero chance that groups.io might harvest anyone's email address for any political, commercial, or other reason besides running the system. This is neutral, user-centered system that you can trust more than yahoo, Facebook, google, and others to stay out of your face (my opinion). No sub-plot here.

Toby Kraft

Peter,
My 1st comment is - I don't see how this post is "a suggestion for a new feature or improvement to the service" which is what the beta forum is for.
If you are seeking comment directly from groups.io, best to email support.  If you are seeking advice from other group owners, better to discuss in GMF, IMHO.
This issue was discussed at length here.
My take is - hosting your group on groups.io does not directly encourage or support indivisible in any way.  Your group's content is totally under your control within the terms of the TOS and your group will not see anything related to this other organization unless you post it.
If your group is already associated with indivisible, then you can obtain free upgrade offered by the owner of groups.io, Mark Fletcher.   That's it.
Toby

Peter Simpson

Hi,

We need to migrate from Yahoo Groups and were just at the point of pushing the "Transfer" button (having paid for a subscription), when several of my colleagues noticed this on the Groups.io Purchase page:

I've copied some of their observations below, please can you let me know whether you understand their concerns and what can be done to allay them?

If I were to turn this into a request it would be that "Groups.io does not exploit its commercial platform to further a political agenda and that it would make a public policy statement to this effect".

Regards, Peter

Expressed concerns about support for indivisible

"The last thing we need is another partisan social media company. I’m not sure if this is a show stopper but it is a bit of a ‘red flag’ for me. We should have our eyes open about what we are going into here."

"I don’t know what indivisible is. If it’s a radical political or religious organization I’m going to be uneasy as well"

"Our group is non-political and I would hate for our members to become involved in or associated with any political cause simply by belonging to ASCOMTalk."

"If review of the TOS is unrevealing then I think that we need to get a formal response from Groups.io administration that members of our group will not be subjected to political messages from them or anyone else. Also that our members' contact information will not be harvested and sold, given away, shared, or used by them for any purpose whatsoever beyond the administration of their site. This includes making members' contact info available to other groups on the site."