Topics

moderated Email blocks


 

Hi All,

As of a couple hours ago, Hotmail/Outlook are delaying emails from us. Our reputation is clear, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'm also getting reports of blocking from some services that use Synacor for FBL stuff, including wowway.com, zoominternet.net and embarqmail.com. We are registered with Synacor, and again, they're showing no issues on the website, so I'm not sure what's up.

I did fix an issue where we were ignoring some FBL reports if the domains didn't match what we were expecting them to be (ie the AOL FBL reports on the cs.com domain as well as aol.com). I don't think this is the issue, but I actually don't really know. Expect more people to be affected by FBL reports, however.

Thanks,
Mark


Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@...>
 

Hi Mark, can you do me a favor? And check and see if Windstream.net is affected I have somebody who is nothing getting list mail from any of your list for a little over 24 hours.

On Aug 7, 2018, at 12:12 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

As of a couple hours ago, Hotmail/Outlook are delaying emails from us. Our reputation is clear, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'm also getting reports of blocking from some services that use Synacor for FBL stuff, including wowway.com, zoominternet.net and embarqmail.com. We are registered with Synacor, and again, they're showing no issues on the website, so I'm not sure what's up.

I did fix an issue where we were ignoring some FBL reports if the domains didn't match what we were expecting them to be (ie the AOL FBL reports on the cs.com domain as well as aol.com). I don't think this is the issue, but I actually don't really know. Expect more people to be affected by FBL reports, however.

Thanks,
Mark


 

Mark,

I wondered what was going on. I had three members start bouncing today, and I virtually never, or extremely rarely, get bouncing members at all, let alone three simultaneously. One of them responded to a bounce probe but the other two, one earthlink and one erols.com, are still bouncing. FWIW.

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 10:12 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

As of a couple hours ago, Hotmail/Outlook are delaying emails from us. Our reputation is clear, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'm also getting reports of blocking from some services that use Synacor for FBL stuff, including wowway.com, zoominternet.net and embarqmail.com. We are registered with Synacor, and again, they're showing no issues on the website, so I'm not sure what's up.

I did fix an issue where we were ignoring some FBL reports if the domains didn't match what we were expecting them to be (ie the AOL FBL reports on the cs.com domain as well as aol.com). I don't think this is the issue, but I actually don't really know. Expect more people to be affected by FBL reports, however.

Thanks,
Mark



--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Mark Fletcher
 

Joseph,

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 10:18 PM, Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@twc.com> wrote:
Hi Mark, can you do me a favor? And check and see if Windstream.net is affected I have somebody who is nothing getting list mail from any of your list for a little over 24 hours.
Here are the instructions I send out to in support for people not
receiving email:

If you are not receiving messages from us, the first place to look is
in your Email Delivery History. Go to a group you are subscribed to,
click the Subscription tab in the left hand sidebar, then click the
Email Delivery History button at the top. That will show responses
from your email service provider when we send email addressed to you.

If the Most Recent Successful Delivery is current, but you did not
receive that message, that indicates that there is a problem after
we've sent the email to you. Please check your Spam folder. Sometimes
messages are mistaken as spam. If you find Groups.io messages in your
Spam folder, please mark them as not spam, as that will help the spam
filter in the future. If there are no messages in your Spam folder,
the only advice we can give you is to contact your email service
provider and ask them to look into it.


Mark


Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@...>
 

Hi Mark, thanks for this. I'm going to have to Walker through these steps. If her provider is unable to fix the issue.

On Aug 7, 2018, at 12:24 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@wingedpig.com> wrote:

Joseph,

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 10:18 PM, Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@twc.com> wrote:
Hi Mark, can you do me a favor? And check and see if Windstream.net is affected I have somebody who is nothing getting list mail from any of your list for a little over 24 hours.
Here are the instructions I send out to in support for people not
receiving email:

If you are not receiving messages from us, the first place to look is
in your Email Delivery History. Go to a group you are subscribed to,
click the Subscription tab in the left hand sidebar, then click the
Email Delivery History button at the top. That will show responses
from your email service provider when we send email addressed to you.

If the Most Recent Successful Delivery is current, but you did not
receive that message, that indicates that there is a problem after
we've sent the email to you. Please check your Spam folder. Sometimes
messages are mistaken as spam. If you find Groups.io messages in your
Spam folder, please mark them as not spam, as that will help the spam
filter in the future. If there are no messages in your Spam folder,
the only advice we can give you is to contact your email service
provider and ask them to look into it.


Mark



Bruce Bowman
 

tds.net (my ISP) was completely blocking groups.io for about 24 hours, but this latest digest got through. I complained so hopefully that had some impact.

It was not an FBL thing, they simply bounced all messages from this IP address.

Bruce


Ken Schweizer
 

Hi Mark,

I have not received any mail from grups.io, so the only way I will see a reply is on the group or from a private e-mail.

I contacted Microsoft (This is probably old news, but just in case) and they suggested the following.

To help us resolve the issue, it would be best if liquidity@... will be added to Outlook.com Whitelist.

Our Outlook.com Deliverability Support can help the sender prevent this issue by asking them to send the necessary information to our sender support team to be added on our Whitelists. We will need their cooperation to ensure that their business will reach all users of Outlook.com.

The form should be filled out by the IT/admin of liquidity@.... Kindly inform them to go to this link for whitelisting: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=614866&clcid.

One of the Outlook.com Deliverability Support will review the request form and will be in touch with them. There is no further action is required from your end.

You can also share this link on how the filter system works including the Policies and Guidelines: https://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx

Ken


 

Hi All,

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 10:12 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

As of a couple hours ago, Hotmail/Outlook are delaying emails from us. Our reputation is clear, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'm also getting reports of blocking from some services that use Synacor for FBL stuff, including wowway.com, zoominternet.net and embarqmail.com. We are registered with Synacor, and again, they're showing no issues on the website, so I'm not sure what's up.


As of about an hour ago, email is flowing again to the Hotmail/Microsoft properties. I learned that they are (now) using Synacor as well, which explains why they started blocking us at the same time as the other domains. Still no idea why we were blocked; the dashboard at Synacor gives no indication that anything's wrong, and Microsoft's own dashboard is the same. Based on this and past experience, it looks like the blocklist is updated once a day, in the evening. Frustrating.

Thanks,
Mark


Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>
 

I also noticed that my Hotmail account just starting giving me the delayed from earlier today messages.

However, when I went to check the email history, I see that I no longer have any info in "last unsuccessful" message now that the mail has gotten through. I would have thought that the last unsuccessful message would not be cleared when the email finally got through. If this is working as designed, then perhaps an (additional) display for the time of the last message that didn't get through. If I hadn't been in front of the computer when the emails arrived, I wouldn't have known how long the delay actually was.

Or, for that matter, I might have missed the entire delay issue.

--
Gerald


 

Is everything back to normal with hotmail now? I have a pending member using hotmail who is still NC after a day and a half and has not responded to the pending notice, either. This is really unusual, because they at least usually confirm, and it makes me wonder whether they got either message. 
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 9:18 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Is everything back to normal with hotmail now? I have a pending member using hotmail who is still NC after a day and a half and has not responded to the pending notice, either. This is really unusual, because they at least usually confirm, and it makes me wonder whether they got either message. 

Yes, Hotmail is back to normal. We have no hotmail.com messages in the queue at the moment.

Mark 


 

Ok, thanks.

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 9:40 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 9:18 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Is everything back to normal with hotmail now? I have a pending member using hotmail who is still NC after a day and a half and has not responded to the pending notice, either. This is really unusual, because they at least usually confirm, and it makes me wonder whether they got either message. 

Yes, Hotmail is back to normal. We have no hotmail.com messages in the queue at the moment.

Mark 



--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu