moderated #photos - name list confessing when assigning owner to photos

Chris Jones

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 09:50 PM, Tom Vail wrote:
When you edit a photo/album and try to reassign a new owner the list that comes up seems to be in Joined date sequence, not alphabetical.
FWIW anyone selecting Move (to relocate a specific photo to a different album) runs into the same problem; the list of albums presented to select a destination is ordered by creation date, rather than alphabetically.

In a way I understand it, but it still seems a bit odd when selecting Directory presents members in alphanumeric order of Display Name and selecting Photos presents albums in alphanumeric order of Album Name.

As an aside. editing an album name will change its position when Photos are displayed if the initial letters are altered, but the drop down list presented when moving a photo remains unchanged because editing an album name does not change its creation date.

Chris

Tom Vail

Duane,

You hit it on the head.  I'm an Apple guy, and it does not cycle to the next name in either Safari or Chrome.  But it does respond as I would think it should in Firefox.

So what we have here is a compatibility/bug issue, not a suggestion.

Peace,
Tom

Duane

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 08:58 AM, Tom Vail wrote:
When I try hitting "S" repeatedly it does not cycle through the S's.
I just tried it and it cycles through for me.  Sounds like you may have a problem with your browser.

Duane

Tom Vail

Drew,

When I try hitting "S" repeatedly it does not cycle through the S's.  I just tried it and comes back to the same one every time.

We set a standard for the Display Name.  We require "Last name, First name" as the display name.  We have other reasons for doing so, but have found it helpful in identifying people and things like photos.  Not an easy implement, but works for us.

Peace,
Tom

Drew

If you keep hitting the "S" key you will cycle through all the names that begin with S. However, the photo album Owner names are just users' Display Names, which are not unique. For example, there could be multiple "Jim" and no way to distinguish one from another.

Users who have not set a display name are easier to ID as their email name (preceding the @) is shown in lieu of a Display Name. I'd suggest that both the users' display names and their email names be listed for photo album ownership reassignment. That way we'll be able to tell one Jim from another...

But even with these two suggestions it is not practical to edit photo album ownership in a group with more than a handful of members.

Drew

On 08/06/18 16:50, Tom Vail wrote:
When you edit a photo/album and try to reassign a new owner the list that comes up seems to be in Joined date sequence, not alphabetical.  If you type in the first letter of the name, S for Smith, it goes to the first occurrence of that letter, but if there are other "S's" who joined earlier, it will not find them, it just keeps going back to the first S as the search starts at the top of the list again.  I believe the problem would be solved if the list was alphabetical.
Peace,
Tom

Tom Vail