Topics

moderated Suggestion: Default date for Date field in database table should be allowed to be empty or different that current date #suggestion

YT9TP - Pedja

I am creating table in Databases and found strange issue: when I set date field in table, on creating new row it is by default populated by current date, and there is no option to change that. However there is checkbox to set if answer in a field should be required (which is obviously useless).

I do not want field populated with current date. For my specific purpose, I want it left empty until it is decided to be filled in. If it is filled with current date, that is wrong information for that particular field and may lead to one who updates records to overlook that date should be entered (actually fixed).

It is also possible that one may need default date to be different than current date.

So, my suggestion for improvement is user to be allowed to set default date as he needs it whether set it to empty or set for any other date.

On second thought, that maybe good to have option to set default value for all other field types too.

Linda Prain

Same situation here.  We're trying to collect travel information for an upcoming event.  Having the date default to today doesn't work.  Yes, I can change to a future date, but then as soon as I edit the line, it reverts back to today's date.  Perhaps a check box set by the table owner to either (a) default to today or (b) allow manual selection that does not revert to "today".

Hello,

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 12:39 AM, YT9TP - Pedja <yt9tp@...> wrote:
I am creating table in Databases and found strange issue: when I set date field in table, on creating new row it is by default populated by current date, and there is no option to change that. However there is checkbox to set if answer in a field should be required (which is obviously useless).

This was a combination of two bugs, both of which have now been fixed.

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

I tried to add a row to a database I was using to test this functionality, and I receive this error.

template: groupaddrow.html:156:43: executing "groupaddrow.html" at <index $.RowVals $ind...>: error calling index: index out of range: 1
--
Gerald

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 12:02 PM, Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...> wrote:
I tried to add a row to a database I was using to test this functionality, and I receive this error.

Whoops. Fixed now.

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 04:02 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
I tried to add a row to a database I was using to test this functionality, and I receive this error.

template: groupaddrow.html:156:43: executing "groupaddrow.html" at <index $.RowVals $ind...>: error calling index: index out of range: 1
--
Gerald

Follow up;

I re-tried the add a row test and continued to receive the same error. I even tried logging and out and back in. Finally, I wanted to review the information in the database, so I did an export to csv. Now, add a row works again.

I don't know what to make of this, sorry.
--
Gerald

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 04:13 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 12:02 PM, Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...> wrote:
I tried to add a row to a database I was using to test this functionality, and I receive this error.

Whoops. Fixed now.

 OK, thanks - ignore my previous message about the exporting to csv. I doubted that was what corrected the problem.
--
Gerald

YT9TP - Pedja

Thanks, it works now. :)

What about the second part: option to set default value?