Topics

moderated "mark as unread" function #suggestion

Sometimes I read a message in my group but don't have time to respond to it, but OTOH I don't want to forget that it's still on my todo list. It would be convenient to be able to mark messages as "unread" (i.e., make them turn back to blue).

p.s. As a hack, I have been resorting to marking them unread in my email. But this can be a PITA, because then, after dealing with the message on the site, I have to go back to email AGAIN and mark them "read." I'd rather to be able to deal with their read/unread status on the site.

Chris Jones

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 02:56 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I have been resorting to marking them unread in my email.
Mark; could Follow - up be added to the functions currently on offer on the "-test" version of the Topics page? It might need something more positive than simply "reverting to blue" as a warning flag, though.

That would provide the facility that J asks for and might well have wider applications.

Chris.

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 07:33 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
It might need something more positive than simply "reverting to blue" as a warning flag, though.

I haven't been following the test version of the topics page and I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I think that a new "mark unread" feature should result in nothing different than the current indicator for "unread," namely, making the message appear blue in the list. There should probably also be a "mark read" function that does the opposite.

J,

It would be convenient to be able to mark messages as "unread" (i.e.,
make them turn back to blue).
Groups.io does not (as yet) track which messages you've read. Your browser is doing that. Your browser history is a collection of the links you've visited - those are rendered in a different color than those you haven't.

If you clear your browser history that will reset all messages to unread. Depending on your browser, it may be possible to remove just the one message's URL from your browser history and thereby revert its color.

Shal

Oh, yeah, Shal, I totally forgot.
Well, it SHOULD! :-)

J,

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 06:25 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
If you clear your browser history that will reset all messages to unread. Depending on your browser, it may be possible to remove just the one message's URL from your browser history and thereby revert its color.
Having had a quick look it would seem that Firefox won't allow individual items to be cleared.

However, having thought about this a bit more, there is no obvious reason to suppose that it is only Owners & Moderators that might find a "Follow - up" capability useful; individual members might find it helpful as well. So... I will withdraw my earlier suggestion of incorporating it into the facilities currently on trial on the -test page and suggest that consideration be given to adding it to the "More" tab on each individual message, with the "Follow - up Flag" being an additional tab on the left hand side in much the same way as Drafts do.

Chris

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 09:24 PM, Chris Jones wrote:

Having had a quick look it would seem that Firefox won't allow individual
items to be cleared.
There is an extension for that:
https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/firefox/addon/remove-visited-link/

Chris Jones

On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 08:21 AM, Lena wrote:
There is an extension for that:
https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/firefox/addon/remove-visited-link/
But perhaps not really viable for the "less IT- savvy", IMHO

However, I just spotted another way of achieving the desired goal. (I think!)

  • Identify the post that requires a "follow - up" rather than an immediate answer.
  • Click on "Reply".
  • Refresh the page.
    The "typing area" that appeared when clicking on Reply will disappear, and a "Drafts" tab will appear on the left hand side.
  • Go away and do something else; the Drafts tab will still be there later when you come back, whenever that happens to be.
  • Open the draft (or the first of several) and complete the reply. When all the Drafts have been dealt with the tab will go away.

OK the flag is "Drafts" rather than "Follow - up" but it's a much more positive indication than reverting the thread topic to "blue".

Chris