locked Separate Admin Menu options from member menu options #suggestion

Maria

(Making this in to a separate suggestion from the sub-group and member directory threads)

Would it be possible to separate the menu options which are visible to both members and owners/mods from those only viewable to owners/mods?

So that all the owner setting and admin options are under the group menu options(home/messages/new topic/calendar/photos/files/databases/wiki/hangout/subscription etc) and not intermixed?

Perhaps the admin pages can be submenu items of a main "Admin" menu item to further differentiate?

This may also make it easier to think about potential menu options that resemble some admin options: like a potential member directory or a subgroups directory.

Thank you!

Maria

Linda

Hi,
If anything I would like the admin-only list at the top so it's not necessary to scroll down through the members' links every time.
Linda

Maria wrote:
I'd put all the member viewable options on top and the admin only on the bottom. Preferably in an Admin top menu with sub-menu choices.

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 6:40 AM, HR Tech via Groups.io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

(Making this in to a separate suggestion from the sub-group and member directory threads)

Would it be possible to separate the menu options which are visible to both members and owners/mods from those only viewable to owners/mods?

I had thought about doing this before but had not gotten around to it. I just pushed this change. Now there's an Admin menu option under Home, that's a drop down with all the admin menu items within it. Big change. Please let me know what you think.

Looks good to me! I haven't had a chance to use all the choices yet, but not expecting any glitches. ;>)

Duane

Second. Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 16, 2016, at 3:23 PM, Duane <txpigeon@gmail.com> wrote:

Looks good to me! I haven't had a chance to use all the choices yet, but not expecting any glitches. ;>)

Mark,

I'm now going to reverse myself on this. Everything that used to take one click before now takes two. I hate it!

Maria

These would be my suggestions:

1- Have an indicator next to "admin" to indicate pending activity - or pull out of there pending messages/members as that is stuff we tend to every day/ every hour...

2- Have the system remember if the admin expands the menu so that he/she doesn't have to repeat the expand each time. So, if you like the options always viewable you can have them that way because it remembers that you do..?

Otherwise, I do like that it's cleaner and that those items are separate from the user /member items. Less confusing.

I just think that if the system could keep it open for you when you expand it, that would be better - or at minimum to treat "pending" stuff differently as that's stuff we go to multiple times x day or hour.

Maria

Maria

So, I definitely think "pending" should be pulled out of the "admin" menu. I've been playing around with it and that would be my #1 suggestion.

Then, if it can just stay expanded and remember that until you close it yourself, as long as you are in groups.io, even if you bounce between groups, subgroups etc,  that would resolve the issue of having to make 2 clicks instead of 1.

But I really like that all the admin stuff is now clearly defined.

Maria

1. is already done, not good enough. If stuff is pulled out, it needs to include at least pending messages and members. Don't like the idea.

2. Is good. I'd want everything viewable at all times.

Yes, it looks nice. Loved it until I actually started using it.

To get to pending members now takes 4 clicks: Admin, Members, Members dropdown, Pending.

Mike Fay <mikefay8888@...>

Very nice !!

Mike Fay

Maria

Even before the re-organization of the admin menu items, I was feeling that we need a quicker way to get to:

1- pending messages

2- pending members

On mobile it's fantastically quick in that the list that shows all your groups has a direct link to pending messages ( one click ).

On Y! you see links for pending members and messages at the top of the browser and I always use those to access needed moderator actions.

I think here - on desktop - we need a one click access to access "pending" and in pending you can tab through to messages/photos/members.

Which is why I think making the distinction between "pending" stuff and the other admin/setting items would be useful on two counts.

I'd go so far as to suggest that owners/mods see active links to the right on the group name/messages breadcrumb trail - on that grey bar - 2 links: one to pending messages direct and one to pending members direct.

In addition to pulling "pending" out of admin and having it be it's own easily accessible area where you can get to pending stuff with one or 2 clicks. Messages with one, members with 2, etc because once you click "pending" you'd get to an area where there are tabs for all the pending items.

The other admin stuff, I actually really like that it's separate and that it takes extra steps to get to. It makes me feel secure that i won't go in to a settings page by accident. I like that extra layer of having to intentionally make a step to go there and for them being grouped together. There are also some menu items that I will hardly ever use, so why see them every day.

Maria

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 05:26 am, HR Tech wrote:

Even before the re-organization of the admin menu items, I was feeling that we need a quicker way to get to:

1- pending messages

2- pending members

Absolutely. It was borderline before, but four clicks I'd call unacceptable. I like the idea of pulling "pending" stuff out, even more than just out of "Admin." It already took THREE clicks to get to pending members.

HI All,

I've just made two changes to reduce the number of clicks needed to approve pending messages and members:

  • If there are any pending messages or members, the Admin menu is always shown as expanded.
  • If there are pending members, clicking on the Members link will take you directly to the Pending Members display.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks, Mark

Couple of problems here:

1. The numeral under the word "Members" in the sidebar is cut off at the bottom

2. There's now no easy way to get to the actual members list, since the pending members has taken the place of it.

I'd vote for getting rid of the whole "Admin" setup.

Maria

Or you could just have the pending messages section have a link/tab/dropdown so you can access pending members there too.

Keep the members going to the member list but have pending have a direct connection to pending messages and pending members.

I vote against getting rid of the new admin menu ( no surprise) :) - but am all for making the navigation simpler for pending items - without sacrificing the other important pages that one goes to maybe less often but that also require easy access.

Maria

I think it's too much of a burden to place on group owners to have to do two clicks for everything they need to do as admins. The first thing I normally do when going into my group is to check on the activity log. That now takes two clicks. Others may do other things first. Anything now under "Admin" that a good number of moderators do first thing on going into their groups is going to be a headache unless you make the "Admin" grouping an option or get rid of it altogether. What about simply putting "Admin" as a format-only difference - place it below all the regular functions in bigger letters, perhaps slightly left-indented, to set those functions off as a group?

I am just as opposed as ever to cosmetic changes that lessen actual usability. That's now the case with so many of the unnecessary (IMO) menu groupings that currently exist as hierarchies and that would actually make life simpler (if not the looks less cluttered) if they were eliminated entirely.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 1:14 PM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I think it's too much of a burden to place on group owners to have to do two clicks for everything they need to do as admins. The first thing I normally do when going into my group is to check on the activity log. That now takes two clicks.

If I make it remember whether you have expanded the Admin menu or not, would that address your concerns?

I like the Admin menu, for the reasons stated in this thread, and think it makes the service better. But happy to tweak.

Yes, remembering it's expanded would be great. Thanks.

I notice that below "Admin," the word "Integrations" sticks out to the left. It always makes me think it defines the boundary of the Admin items. Could it be shifted right so that it lines up with the rest?