Topics

moderated Add a convenient method to include a profile link in the signature.

Randy Thomson

For multiple reasons it would be convenient if subscribers could include a link to their profile in their signature (see my link below).
While it is possible to do this now if you are technically inclined, the general user would have no knowledge or skill to accomplish this.
Request that an option be added to insert a profile link in the signature text.
From an implementation standpoint, while it would make the signature formatting tool bar unique, it could be added there as another link insertion, which opens a dialog box with the URL pre-filled with the profile URL of the subscriber.
RandyT
--
Randy's Profile

RandyT,

From an implementation standpoint, while it would make the signature
formatting tool bar unique, ...
It needn't. It seems to me that tool could also be useful in composing normal posts. Maybe also event Descriptions.

I don't see an obvious utility for it in Wiki page composition, or member notifications, but then that may just be my lack of vision; there doesn't seem to be a reason to omit it.

On the other hand, providing a permalink on each member profile might be the more straightforward and consistent way to provide this capability. On the directory pages this would amount to little more than showing the permalink symbol next to each member's name.

Shal

Randy Thomson

On the other hand, providing a permalink on each member profile might be the more straightforward and consistent way to provide this capability.
On the directory pages this would amount to little more than showing the permalink symbol next to each member's name.

Shal

If I'm not mistaken, that link is already on the directory page, tied to the user name. The issue is providing it, easily, in an email message.

Randy

--
Randy's Profile ( https://beta.groups.io/g/main/profile/218069 )

Randy,

If I'm not mistaken, that link is already on the directory page, tied to the user name.

You are correct. But I think adding the link icon (as seen on Messages) would make it a lot clearer to the user:

The issue is providing it, easily, in an email message.

Understood.

And in thinking on this further, I agree that having a tool to insert the link to one's own profile would be more convenient than having to track yourself down in the Directory (assuming the group makes that feature available).

So I'd favor having both, with the link icon in the Directory for clearer reference to other member's profiles.

Shal