Topics

moderated moderator access to group member email aliases #suggestion

This morning a new member posted from a completely unknown (to me) email address. I found the pending message in my email. There is no identifying information in the pending notice about who this member is.

This was disconcerting. Based on the content, I had a theory about who it was and went into that person's member page, but it turns out moderators don't have access to members' email aliases. So I couldn't be sure.

Is it possible to either make that information available, OR include the member's display name (and/or regular email address used for the group) in the pending notice?

p.s. Of course I later went into the site to find out who it was. But I think that either the alias info should be available to moderators in general, and/or the member info should be available in the emailed pending-message notice.

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 12:36 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
This morning a new member posted from a completely unknown (to me) email address. I found the pending message in my email. There is no identifying information in the pending notice about who this member is.

This was disconcerting. Based on the content, I had a theory about who it was and went into that person's member page, but it turns out moderators don't have access to members' email aliases. So I couldn't be sure.

Is it possible to either make that information available, OR include the member's display name (and/or regular email address used for the group) in the pending notice?

Jim Higgins

Received from J_Catlady at 7/29/2018 07:38 PM UTC:

p.s. Of course I later went into the site to find out who it was. But I think that either the alias info should be available to moderators in general, and/or the member info should be available in the emailed pending-message notice.

This seems like a matter that should be handled between you and the group Owner. I don't believe it's appropriate for Groups.io to make changes that bypass the privileges the group Owner has chosen to not give you as a Moderator.

Jim H

I’m the group owner. I could change my entire request to read ‘owners or moderators’ with granular permission for moderators if necessary. But I don’t think it’s necessary. An alternate email address is low-level infornation, below the level that mods already have.

On Jul 29, 2018, at 5:01 PM, Jim Higgins <HigginsJ@...> wrote:

Received from J_Catlady at 7/29/2018 07:38 PM UTC:

p.s. Of course I later went into the site to find out who it was. But I think that either the alias info should be available to moderators in general, and/or the member info should be available in the emailed pending-message notice.

This seems like a matter that should be handled between you and the group Owner. I don't believe it's appropriate for Groups.io to make changes that bypass the privileges the group Owner has chosen to not give you as a Moderator.

Jim H

And I think you misunderstood. This info is currently not available to owners, unless it’s there and I can’t find it. The email issue applies either way: there’s no member identifying info in the pending message notification, and I am requesting that it be added.

On Jul 29, 2018, at 5:43 PM, J_Catlady <@J_Catlady> wrote:

[...]

Hi J,

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 12:36 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
This morning a new member posted from a completely unknown (to me) email address. I found the pending message in my email. There is no identifying information in the pending notice about who this member is.

This was disconcerting. Based on the content, I had a theory about who it was and went into that person's member page, but it turns out moderators don't have access to members' email aliases. So I couldn't be sure.

A member's email aliases are listed on the member page (go to Members under Settings, then click a member). Or are you asking about something else?

Toby Kraft

It might be useful to note that if the member has no aliases, nothing regarding Aliases is shown on the member page.
If there are aliases, then there is a section titled "Aliases" under the Joined date that lists them.
Toby

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 09:31 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
A member's email aliases are listed on the member page ... Or are you asking about something else

Mark, I'm not sure any more what I'm asking about. I have a group member who consistently posts using a different email address from what she's subscribed under, and the email address she posts from is neither listed as an alias of hers nor is subscribed as a separate member. How is this possible? I assumed she was posting under an alias and I just couldn't see or find it on her page. I will email you the details to support, unless someone here can explain this. Thanks.

p.s. The logs show the messages as coming from her subscribed address, but in my inbox, they look like they're from the non-subscribed address and it's impossible to glean any information about the group member's identity.

J,

p.s. The logs show the messages as coming from her subscribed address, but in my inbox, they look like they're from the non-subscribed address and it's impossible to glean any information about the group member's identity.
Your email interface may be showing you just the Display Name part of the From address. See if there's a way to have it show you the rest of the address. I have that problem looking at some member's messages in Gmail's web interface, I have to click the little "Show details" icon to see the full From address.

Shal

No. It's showing her other email address. Not the display name or anything associated with her groups.io account. Zero and zilch. That's why I initially could not identify her.

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 3:51 PM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

J,

p.s. The logs show the messages as coming from her subscribed address, but in my inbox, they look like they're from the non-subscribed address and it's impossible to glean any information about the group member's identity.
Your email interface may be showing you just the Display Name part of the From address. See if there's a way to have it show you the rest of the address. I have that problem looking at some member's messages in Gmail's web interface, I have to click the little "Show details" icon to see the full From address.

Shal

Oh, you mean the display name of the email address, not her groups.io display name. But that's not it, either. It's showing "xyz@....
 I asked the member in question about it this morning and she said "oh, I sometimes post from my other email address, sorry." But I don't know how she can do that without having an alias. Possibly the alias is staring me in the face on her member page but I'm still not seeing any. I've emailed the details to Mark at support.

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 3:54 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
[...]

Correct, I was thinking that the From field might say something like:
However...

 I asked the member in question about it this morning and she said "oh, I sometimes post from my other email address, sorry." But I don't know how she can do that without having an alias.

That does sound like an Alias, except that I thought when I tested it that the alias in a Groups.io account put the subscription address in the outbound From field, so you wouldn't see this confusion.

Possibly the alias is staring me in the face on her member page but I'm still not seeing any. I've emailed the details to Mark at support.

I'm interested in what you find out.

Shal

This is what the pending notification looks like:

A message was sent to the group https://groups.io/g/Feline_Smallcell_Lymphoma from xyz@... that needs to be approved (bla bla bla).
There is no indication of who the member is, or her actually subscribed email address. After the message is approved, it comes through showing her subscribed email address, not the xyz address. So the problem manifests in the pending notification, not the email that comes through. Still, I don't understand how she can be doing this with xyz not being an alias. (If xyz is an alias and I simply am not seeing it in her member page, there is STILL the problem that the pending notice doesn't tell me who she is, or link in any way to her subscribed address.)

Beta apparently is set to mask email addresses, so what shows up in my post quoting the pending notification is not actually what I see in the notification . The notification doesn't figleaf - it shows the entire email address, which I'll rewrite here as

xyz [at] gmail.com