Topics

moderated Repeating request for character limit in auto signature

 

I’ve got many group members writing novels for their signatures., and it’s too hard to police and control them all by hand. I am now begging for a character limit option in the auto sig!


--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu

 

               I’ve got many group members writing novels for their signatures., and it’s too hard to police and control them all by hand. I am now begging for a character limit option in the auto sig!


If this could be optional, then o.k. If not I wouldn´t like that so much for in my two veterinary groups many details of the patients concerned are demanded in the signature. This way we save time looking up the history, weight, age, diseases etc.

 

Victoria

 

 

See below: “character limit option”


On Jul 29, 2018, at 9:54 AM, Victoria <dr.vcaesar@...> wrote:

               I’ve got many group members writing novels for their signatures., and it’s too hard to police and control them all by hand. I am now begging for a character limit option in the auto sig!


If this could be optional, then o.k. If not I wouldn´t like that so much for in my two veterinary groups many details of the patients concerned are demanded in the signature. This way we save time looking up the history, weight, age, diseases etc.

 

Victoria

 


--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu

 

And by the way, we use it for the same reason your group does. All we want is name, age, gender, weight, diagnosis, diagnosis method and date, current medical conditions, and all meds with dosages. But what we get in some cases are “I took Pookey to the first vet on such-and-such date (two years ago) and he said it was xyz, but the next day he threw up and we took him to the second vet who disagreed, so we tried bla bla and another vet...” and on and on this goes. Some of them are putting the complete medical history in the signature, despite exhortations about what to include and not to include. Then others copy them, and now it’s becoming an epidemic with no systemic or automatic way to stop it.


On Jul 29, 2018, at 10:37 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

See below: “character limit option”


On Jul 29, 2018, at 9:54 AM, Victoria <dr.vcaesar@...> wrote:

               I’ve got many group members writing novels for their signatures., and it’s too hard to police and control them all by hand. I am now begging for a character limit option in the auto sig!


If this could be optional, then o.k. If not I wouldn´t like that so much for in my two veterinary groups many details of the patients concerned are demanded in the signature. This way we save time looking up the history, weight, age, diseases etc.

 

Victoria

 


--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu

 

o.k. that´s understood, no novels.

Victoria

 

J. wrote: And by the way, we use it for the same reason your group does. All we want is name, age, gender, weight, diagnosis, diagnosis method and date, current medical conditions, and all meds with dosages. But what we get in some cases are “I took Pookey to the first vet on such-and-such date (two years ago) and he said it was xyz, but the next day he threw up and we took him to the second vet who disagreed, so we tried bla bla and another vet...” and on and on this goes. Some of them are putting the complete medical history in the signature, despite exhortations about what to include and not to include. Then others copy them, and now it’s becoming an epidemic with no systemic or automatic way to stop it.



Sharon Villines
 

I’ve got many group members writing novels for their signatures., and it’s too hard to police and control them all by hand. I am now begging for a character limit option in the auto sig!
I curious why these lists can’t be controlled. I send very occasional reminders and otherwise contact people privately to limit their signature lines. They do.

Sharon
------
Sharon Villines, Washington, DC
"As long as you have two or fewer, your ducks are always in a row." The Covert Comic

 

I send very occasional reminders and otherwise contact people privately to limit their signature lines. They do.
I don't know what your group is about, but either your are fortunate, or perhaps, unlike mine and Victoria's, which require information such as age, weight, diagnosis, and meds in the signature, your group does not require a certain set of information to be included in the sig. When you ask users for input, it is usually helpful to limit the space they are allocated for the input to prevent them from writing novels.
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu

 

And as has been stated in my original request and repeated, the request is for an option. If you don't want it, don't use it. Simple. :-)
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu

Jim Higgins
 

Received from J_Catlady at 7/30/2018 01:00 PM UTC:

And as has been stated in my original request and repeated, the request is for an option. If you don't want it, don't use it. Simple. :-)

Equally simple is my objection to tasking our host with options that replace basic management on our part as group owners.

Jim H

Marv Waschke
 

I have no opinion on this, but a question: Why put this information in an auto signature? What is the advantage over putting it in the body  of the message? I hate to prolong the discussion without adding to it, but you've made me curious.
Best, Marv

 

tasking our host with options that replace basic management
This feature is not particularly onerous on the system. Mark will of course make the decision. 
Have a good day.
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu

 

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 08:34 AM, Marv Waschke wrote:
Why put this information in an auto signature? What is the advantage over putting it in the body  of the message? I hate to prolong the discussion without adding to it, but you've made me curious.
Many of the best veterinary (and presumably, other medically-oriented) groups put basic info into the signature to avoid having to search through hundreds of messages each time - in our case, cat's age, gender, current weight, current meds with current dosages, diagnosis, and other medical conditions. It could take a half hour or more to find this basic status each time a member posts an update, and sometimes the updates were critical and the info needed to be found quickly, and sometimes the cat owners themselves could not provide it in a timely fashion. We did it out of necessity.
 
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu

 

BTW you must also consider the NuM a bad fearure, since it replaces a ‘basic management task.’ And pending membership notices. And the group guidelines monthly mailing. And all of the other features that make life more convenient and efficient for group owners.

In fact, grouos.io’s *business* is making mailing list management easier. So the idea that any feature that replaces a so-called basic management task is bad is I think sorely misguided. You can say you don’t like some optional feature suggested here, or that you would not use it. You can say (as I have done in the case of one or two suggested optional features) that it puts a drag on the system (this one doesn’t). But it seems inapposite to suggest that some feature should not be implemented because it creates work for Mark. Mark’s mission, and passion, is to make group management easy and efficient.


On Jul 30, 2018, at 9:10 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

tasking our host with options that replace basic management
This feature is not particularly onerous on the system. Mark will of course make the decision. 
Have a good day.
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu

Randy Thomson
 

Seems to me that a way to easily include a profile link in the signature and then include all of the verbiage only once, would be a good option, since it would eliminate replicating the “novel” in every message. The profile link is available already, in-group, to owners/moderators, and optionally to others,  but not in email messages (unless you copy it to the signature). Members who wanted consultation would need to provide access to the profile in their Profile Privacy.

 

As an experiment, I’ve added a link to my profile in my signature, so anyone can get to the information there, from this message, even if it’s in their email (my permissions allow access from anyone in the group). Copying the link into the signature is beyond the technical skills of many group members, but the addition of a method to add the link with the click of a button (possibly from the signature editing bar), would resolve that issue.

 

RandyT

 

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of J_Catlady
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 11:14 AM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Repeating request for character limit in auto signature

 

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 08:34 AM, Marv Waschke wrote:

Why put this information in an auto signature? What is the advantage over putting it in the body  of the message? I hate to prolong the discussion without adding to it, but you've made me curious.

Many of the best veterinary (and presumably, other medically-oriented) groups put basic info into the signature to avoid having to search through hundreds of messages each time - in our case, cat's age, gender, current weight, current meds with current dosages, diagnosis, and other medical conditions. It could take a half hour or more to find this basic status each time a member posts an update, and sometimes the updates were critical and the info needed to be found quickly, and sometimes the cat owners themselves could not provide it in a timely fashion. We did it out of necessity.
 
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


--
Randy's Profile

 

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 12:27 PM, Randy Thomson wrote:
include a profile link in the signature
A nice thought, but the info we need is not in the profile. And there may not even be a profile. And if you're suggesting the member page (rather than the profile), that is accessible only to mods. We need the info available to all group members, i.e., anyone who might be responding to the member's post.
 
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu

 

OTOH we could require the info to be put in the member's group profile rather than the signature. But that does nothing to solve the problem of them writing a novel, just in a different location.

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 12:31 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 12:27 PM, Randy Thomson wrote:
include a profile link in the signature
A nice thought, but the info we need is not in the profile. And there may not even be a profile. And if you're suggesting the member page (rather than the profile), that is accessible only to mods. We need the info available to all group members, i.e., anyone who might be responding to the member's post.
 
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu



--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu

 

I'm thinking that I like your profile idea more and more. The problem is that it would not be available to people responding only via email, and that includes some of the most knowledgeable people in our group (including the vets). So we would have to stick with the signature. And as I've said, it still doesn't solve the length problem...but I do like the idea.
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu

Randy Thomson
 

Actually, if a profile link could be placed in the signature that would be available even in emails. Unfortunately, the link I added in my signature (at the far bottom of this email, as well, I think) doesn’t go to my profile, as I thought it would. More research needed.

 

RandyT

 

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of J_Catlady
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 2:39 PM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Repeating request for character limit in auto signature

 

I'm thinking that I like your profile idea more and more. The problem is that it would not be available to people responding only via email, and that includes some of the most knowledgeable people in our group (including the vets). So we would have to stick with the signature. And as I've said, it still doesn't solve the length problem...but I do like the idea.
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


--
Randy's Profile

 

True, but the person would have to be logged in to access the link, and the people who use exclusively email for the group are usually not logged in. But you're still making a pretty good case. I'll think about it for my group. Would still have to solve the length issue, though. Your idea is more or less separate from that.

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 12:55 PM, Randy Thomson via Groups.Io <k5mw@...> wrote:

Actually, if a profile link could be placed in the signature that would be available even in emails. Unfortunately, the link I added in my signature (at the far bottom of this email, as well, I think) doesn’t go to my profile, as I thought it would. More research needed.

 

RandyT

 

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of J_Catlady
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 2:39 PM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Repeating request for character limit in auto signature

 

I'm thinking that I like your profile idea more and more. The problem is that it would not be available to people responding only via email, and that includes some of the most knowledgeable people in our group (including the vets). So we would have to stick with the signature. And as I've said, it still doesn't solve the length problem...but I do like the idea.
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


--
Randy's Profile



--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu

Randy Thomson
 

Ok, for some reason the first link wasn’t the correct one. I think this one will work. Click Randy’s Profile at the bottom of the message. Hopefully it will go to my profile. I’m working strictly from email, except for creating the profile and grabbing the link to put in the signature. The signature (with profile link) is attached to the email message by groups.io, per normal group email. My ‘real’ signature is manually included so it doesn’t get stuck after the message I’m replying to, in MS Outlook.

RandyT

 

 

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Thomson via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 2:55 PM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Repeating request for character limit in auto signature

 

Actually, if a profile link could be placed in the signature that would be available even in emails. Unfortunately, the link I added in my signature (at the far bottom of this email, as well, I think) doesn’t go to my profile, as I thought it would. More research needed.

 

RandyT

 

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of J_Catlady
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 2:39 PM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Repeating request for character limit in auto signature

 

I'm thinking that I like your profile idea more and more. The problem is that it would not be available to people responding only via email, and that includes some of the most knowledgeable people in our group (including the vets). So we would have to stick with the signature. And as I've said, it still doesn't solve the length problem...but I do like the idea.
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


--


Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#17784) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [k5mw@...]

_._,_._,_


--
Randy's Profile