Topics

moderated allow more than one email delivery method #suggestion

It would be nice to allow users to choose more than one email delivery method for a group. I'd like to get both individual emails and the daily summary for my group, for example.

I don't want this. I already have a lot of email as is.

On 25 Jul 2018, at 13:05, Robert Kingett <kingettr@...> wrote:

I don't want this. I already have a lot of email as is.

I think the proposal was for it to be an option, so you wouldn’t have to take it.

best

Nick
__

dUNMUR | member of the Association of Photographers

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 03:08 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
It would be nice to allow users to choose more than one email delivery method for a group. I'd like to get both individual emails and the daily summary for my group, for example.

I can't take credit for this idea as I only found out about it while tracking down why some users had two accounts. Each account is set for a different delivery method. I use the concept myself, with my main account for online viewing (no email) and another for email delivery.

Of course, this idea does require multiple email addresses, but that isn't very difficult these days.

--
Gerald

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 05:05 AM, Robert Kingett wrote:
I don't want this. I already have a lot of email as is.
It would be an option.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 05:11 AM, Nick Dunmur wrote:
you wouldn’t have to take it.
Exactly.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 06:07 AM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
this idea does require multiple email addresses, but that isn't very difficult these days.
The idea is for it not to require multiple accounts (email addresses).

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 09:00 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
The idea is for it not to require multiple accounts
Seems to me it would be a lot less work for Mark (as in none) to just use a second account, then forward those to the one you want to use if you want them all in one place.

Duane

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 07:45 AM, Duane wrote:
Seems to me it would be a lot less work for Mark ..
I don't care how Mark implements it. The suggestion is to make it be, or even just look like, the one account is receiving all the various formats it wants, rather than the user having to create and use separate accounts to get it. (I, too, have resorted to using separate accounts in order to receive both individual emails and the summary. This seems a waste and unnecessary.) It seems to me that it would be easier to implement by just sending the user every format they want. But of course I don't know for sure.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 07:45 AM, Duane wrote:
Seems to me it would be a lot less work for Mark (as in none) to just use a second account, then forward those to the one you want to use if you want them all in one place.
Also this would not accomplish the desired goal. It assumes that I just want one account to receive a certain set of formats (or in your assumption, all of them). But that's not what I'm requesting. I'm simply requesting that any account ask for and receive any subset of formats they want.

The easy way is to subscribe with two email accounts (as two accounts, not a merge) and set them accordingly..

HH

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 03:50 AM, Helen Howes wrote:
The easy way is to subscribe with two email accounts
Right! And that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid having to do. :-)

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 10:30 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 03:50 AM, Helen Howes wrote:
The easy way is to subscribe with two email accounts
Right! And that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid having to do. :-)

I still think this is a fishy idea, but I also have another really fishy idea.

There is an issue that just popped up on GMF and it appears to have to do with email addresses with and without periods. I don't think it is entirely sorted out, but if there is a loophole in the GIO account system (eg - bug), then you might be able to have your cake and eat it too.

Make another GIO account with the same email address you already are using, except add some extra punctuation characters such as a period, dash or underscore in the email address. It is still treated as the same email address for email, but it seems that GIO might accept it as a different email address. After it was set up you could have individual emails and digests sent to the same actual email address.

Yes, I know that's not what you want, but I did say it was very fishy. Another caveat, I don't know for sure if this would actually work.

--
Gerald

Definitely fishy. ;p

Maybe "phishy" is more accurate. ;)