Topics

moderated #suggestion - Tabs for subgroups #suggestion

Tom Vail

When you are in a subgroup, to return to the main group you have to go up to "Your Groups" in the header and click on the group from there.  For those who are reading this in the Beta group, this is not big deal...we have always done it this way.  But if you are a not-so-savvy new member of a group, it is a path that is not obvious.  When you are in the main group all navigation is from the tab bar on the left, and then all of a sudden you have to go up in the header.  This is not a hypothetical point of confusion, I'm dealing with it right now with new users.

I have a suggestion which I believe will help in the overall user-friendliness of the site.  It involved 2 changes:

1 - "stick" a tab at the top called "Main Home" which will always be there and take folks to the main group's home page.

2 - Indent the tabs for the subgroup.

It would look like this:

I believe this would go a long way in making the site navigation, especially for the new user, much more intuitive.

Peace,
Tom

I agree with this, just make the tab screen reader friendly! Though. :)

Tom Vail

I'm a little slow at times, but I just realized that the suggested indented format is used for the Admin functions.

So maybe the same basic logic would apply to subgroups.  The "Subgroups" tab would be a drop-down revealing the names of the subgroups.  Then when one is clicked on, the tabs for it would be revealed indented further.  So it would look like this when someone was on the home page of subgroup 1:

The advantage to this would be the user would see all the tabs available all the time, with just the additional subgroup tabs apparating when the subgroup is clicked on.

Peace,
Tom

Tom,

When you are in a subgroup, to return to the main group you have to go up to "Your Groups" in the header and click on the group from there.

​That is due to a relatively recent change. Previously clicking the Subgroups button on the left would bring you back to the primary group, and from there you could select a different subgroup or use the other buttons to access primary group pages.

That method was ​counter-intuitive at first, but handy once learned.

I have a suggestion which I believe will help in the overall user-friendliness of the site.

​Although I like your second proposal (nested under Subgroups) better than the original​, I think a far simpler approach would be to include a link to the Primary group on the Subgroups page. Perhaps above the Subgroups You Belong To heading, with a heading of its own: Primary Group.

I'd have to try it to be sure, but I don't think I'm a fan of having that nested list of pages open on the left whenever working in a subgroup. Especially as a group Admin, that column would get awkwardly tall I think.

Shal

Tom Vail

Shal,

That method was ​counter-intuitive at first, but handy once learned.
My point exactly.  It is counter-intuitive, so why have to train folks in that direction?

I have a suggestion which I believe will help in the overall user-friendliness of the site.

​Although I like your second proposal (nested under Subgroups) better than the original​, I think a far simpler approach would be to include a link to the Primary group on the Subgroups page. Perhaps above the Subgroups You Belong To heading, with a heading of its own: Primary Group.

That appears to be what Mark did, but you still have to "train" folks to go back to the "subgroup" tab to get to the main group, still not very intuitive to me.

I'd have to try it to be sure, but I don't think I'm a fan of having that nested list of pages open on the left whenever working in a subgroup. Especially as a group Admin, that column would get awkwardly tall I think.

If you notice in my suggested format, only tabs for the subgroup you have open would show, nested in the list.  (See "Subgroup 2" is not expanded.)  So I don't think the expanded list would be difficult to deal with.  On my desktop, it would all fit in the same screen, but would require scrolling down on my laptop.

Peace,
Tom