Topics

moderated Fix Timezone default

Michael Pavan

My groups are all in the Eastern (US) Timezone.
The events all take place in the Eastern (US) Timezone.
However checking the Calendar with an email address of mine (that was transferred from YahooGroups as an email subscriber only and just today became a web access member) I find that events (real people gathering in person in real places) which all take place in the Eastern (US) Timezone are listed with Pacific Timezone times!
All of my groups were set up in the Eastern (US) Timezone for real people gathering in person in real places - to have Pacific Timezone foist on them by default is not appropriate. The fix as is requires all non-Pacific Timezone people to get web access (theoretically easy, but awkward for many if not most users) and make the correction(s).

This is a bad default.
I get that it makes sense to people from many timezones who are just gathering online (rather than in person) to have the time in their personal real time…

But the default should be that subscribers/members are in each group’s Timezone, rather than in the Pacific Timezone - which is Pacific Time chauvinist. ;-}
Or at least it should be a Group Owner setting to choose if a group is a Real Timezone or Virtual Timezone group!

Duane

It can't be fixed if it isn't broken...  You (and each member) can set any time zone you like for viewing your calendar at the bottom right.  There has to be some sort of default if nothing is chosen, so PST is as good as any.

Duane

> It can't be fixed if it isn't broken...  You (and each member)
> can set any time zone you like for viewing your calendar at
> the bottom right. There has to be some sort of default if
> nothing is chosen, so PST is as good as any.

Duane -
He's talking about groups that are primarily email users only. Many don't want to worry about web access. In a situation like that, it makes sense to have the owner set an initial time zone default along with the other group defaults an owner can set.

In the case of a group with no set default, I like Glenn Glazer's thought about making it UTC since groups.io is worldwide. Many users are familiar with Zulu time already through the various disciplines they are involved with.

Dano

Dano,

He's talking about groups that are primarily email users only. Many
don't want to worry about web access.
If they're not doing web access how does their Timezone setting matter?

Shal

Michael Pavan

If they're not doing web access how does their Timezone setting matter?
An email subscriber in the Eastern Time Zone (set by default to the Pacific Time Zone), subscribed to a group in the Eastern Time Zone, with events in the Eastern Time Zone on the group’s Calendar in the Eastern Time Zone, receives an email Reminder - what Time Zone will determine the time of the event(s) reported in the email Reminder?

Michael,

what Time Zone will determine the time of the event(s) reported in the
email Reminder?
The time zone specified in the event.

Which may default to the timezone of the person who created the event, but it is in any case not the timezone of the receiving subscriber.

Shal

Michael Pavan

what Time Zone will determine the time of the event(s) reported in the
email Reminder?
Which are you saying:

The time zone specified in the event.
Is this determined by the physical address (Town and State, or Zip Code) of the event?

OR

Which may default to the timezone of the person who created the event,
Is this the timezone of the person who created the event?

but it is in any case not the timezone of the receiving subscriber.
If the event were not a real, but a virtual gathering (with no physical address), set up in Eastern Time by an Eastern Time Zone member in an Eastern Time Zone group, but the subscriber is in the Mountain Time Zone that is default set to Pacific Time Zone, what Time Zone time is in the Reminder sent by the Calendar then?

Michael,

Which are you saying:
I'm saying
The time zone specified in the event.
When you create/edit an event you specify its Timezone along with its other attributes.

If the event were not a real, but a virtual gathering (with no
physical address), ...
The calendar events don't include a setting for that. Apparently members will have to translate the time to their local timezone if they are somewhere outside the timezone of the event.

Shal