Topics

locked Photos Wishlist Thread #suggestion

RS

Some things I would like to see in a photos feature:

• Ability to create albums (possibly with a cover photo).
  • Navigation through an album with a left/right button on each side of the photo.  Not only current style, but also most easily mobile compatible.  Style isn't critical to me personally though. 
  • Ability to add a title and description to each photo. 
  • Ability to hashtag a photo, perhaps in a special section rather than the title or description.
  • Ability to comment on photos and reply to comments.  As I picture it, these would not go to the group or archives, but remain on the photos section.  Mods would be able to edit or delete these, as with any other content.  I guess you wouldn't need a description section if the comments idea could work.  Just add the first comment when you post it.  Comments either would not show up in the Navigator view I mentioned above, or else perhaps show up on the side Facebook style (I know, I know, FB bad ;) ).  Enable an option either way when creating the album maybe? 
  • Ability to rate photos with stars (1-4 or 5), thumbs (+/-), likes (+ only) or votes (#+/-), as the (mod/creator of the album) prefers. 
  • Ability to flag a photo as inappropriate.  This would notify the owner and designated mods, so that a review of the item can be made, and it can be removed/blocked if it violates group policies.  The flag would otherwise be invisible to other users so as not to provoke issues between members.  Mods would be able to see who flagged the picture.
That's all I have for now, what would you like to see in a photo section?

Judy F.

I moderate a buying and selling group that uses photos to show what item they are selling.  I have a requirement that I think is pretty much just the opposite of some of yours. 

1) we need two lines like Yahoo has now when you click Edit to provide information about the item and also the email address of the person selling the item.

2) no comments.  So if this could be turned off for the group that would solve that problem.  Our members contact the seller directly  so the photo is more or less just for viewing

3) an easy way for the seller to delete the photo if the item sells

4) photos do not need to be approved by a moderator

5) option to show latest posted photos first. 

6) currently Yahoo has a Photostream.  If we have something similar to this (in addition to the various albums) but have the information that was added to the photos that would be great

7) we use various albums and create new albums each month.  At all times we have the current month albums and the previous month.  Allow the naming convention to have the previous months albums below the current month.  I do that now by having an asterisk space before the album name for the current month and only the album name for the previous month. 

Note:  there are a lot of embroidery/sewing/quilting groups that use the photos basically the same way also.

Thanks,

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

Sent: Monday, January 12, 2015 10:55 PM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: [beta] Photos Wishlist Thread #photos #wishlist

• Navigation through an album with a left/right button on each side of the photo.  Not only current style, but also most easily mobile compatible.  Style isn't critical to me personally though. 
  • Ability to hashtag a photo, perhaps in a special section rather than the title or description.
  • Ability to comment on photos and reply to comments.  As I picture it, these would not go to the group or archives, but remain on the photos section.  Mods would be able to edit or delete these, as with any other content.  I guess you wouldn't need a description section if the comments idea could work.  Just add the first comment when you post it.  Comments either would not show up in the Navigator view I mentioned above, or else perhaps show up on the side Facebook style (I know, I know, FB bad ;) ).  Enable an option either way when creating the album maybe? 
  • Ability to rate photos with stars (1-4 or 5), thumbs (+/-), likes (+ only) or votes (#+/-), as the (mod/creator of the album) prefers. 
  • Ability to flag a photo as inappropriate.  This would notify the owner and designated mods, so that a review of the item can be made, and it can be removed/blocked if it violates group policies.  The flag would otherwise be invisible to other users so as not to provoke issues between members.  Mods would be able to see who flagged the picture.

RS

That brings up an interesting thought:

What about a "sales" page/feature that not only works like you describe but also integrates with services like paypal (if you are daring, maybe even bitcoin).  Paypal integration could also allow people to donate to a non-profit group, or just help keep the premium group funding going.  Money transactions going through the product does get much trickier I'm sure, but why not see about it? 

Thanks for the info on how you would use a photo feature.  Just to clarify, I'm personally in favor of anything people need for what they do!  Options are what make a service great.  Keep them coming!

Sent: Monday, January 12, 2015 at 8:21 PM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: RE: [beta] Photos Wishlist Thread #photos #wishlist

I moderate a buying and selling group that uses photos to show what item they are selling.  I have a requirement that I think is pretty much just the opposite of some of yours. 

1) we need two lines like Yahoo has now when you click Edit to provide information about the item and also the email address of the person selling the item.

2) no comments.  So if this could be turned off for the group that would solve that problem.  Our members contact the seller directly  so the photo is more or less just for viewing

6) currently Yahoo has a Photostream.  If we have something similar to this (in addition to the various albums) but have the information that was added to the photos that would be great

7) we use various albums and create new albums each month.  At all times we have the current month albums and the previous month.  Allow the naming convention to have the previous months albums below the current month.  I do that now by having an asterisk space before the album name for the current month and only the album name for the previous month. 

Note:  there are a lot of embroidery/sewing/quilting groups that use the photos basically the same way also.

Thanks,

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

Judy F.

Might work for others, but our group doesn’t charge a fee like eBay, etc. do. We don’t get involved with any money as such, because once a member places the ad on the group, the buyer replies directly to the seller and the money transaction is between them.   Has worked very well with us having over 17,000 members.   

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

Sent: Monday, January 12, 2015 11:52 PM
Subject: Re: RE: [beta] Photos Wishlist Thread #photos #wishlist

That brings up an interesting thought:

What about a "sales" page/feature that not only works like you describe but also integrates with services like paypal (if you are daring, maybe even bitcoin).  Paypal integration could also allow people to donate to a non-profit group, or just help keep the premium group funding going.  Money transactions going through the product does get much trickier I'm sure, but why not see about it? 

Thanks for the info on how you would use a photo feature.  Just to clarify, I'm personally in favor of anything people need for what they do!  Options are what make a service great.  Keep them coming!

Sent: Monday, January 12, 2015 at 8:21 PM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: RE: [beta] Photos Wishlist Thread #photos #wishlist

Thanks,

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

I own a couple groups with sizable contingents of older folks. One of the problems we've had is people putting photos in the Files area, or not putting single images into appropriate folders. It would be very helpful if moderators could move files around in Photos and Files and be able to move files between the two as well.

Dano

I agree with this. We get people who put their required files into the wrong folder or the main folder and we need to be able to move them to the correct location.

Susan B

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 8:31 PM
Subject: [beta] Re: Photos Wishlist Thread #photos #wishlist

I own a couple groups with sizable contingents of older folks. One of the problems we've had is people putting photos in the Files area, or not putting single images into appropriate folders. It would be very helpful if moderators could move files around in Photos and Files and be able to move files between the two as well.

Dano

Duane

My wishlist for a Photos section:

1. When photos are uploaded, "resize" them for online use. Many folks use the highest resolution and number of colors when taking pictures. These aren't needed for screen viewing, only for full size printing. I've had people email me photos at 4320x3240, 600 dpi, 32 million colors with a file size well over 3 MB when a file that was resampled to 35-50 KB would have worked as well. (not sure if it's feasible, but check for file type and not allow photos to be uploaded to the Files area.)

2. Sub-albums would be nice. I see it as having an album for each member, though not required, and having sub-albums for specific items.

3. I'd like each member to be able to use their own album/sub, but also be able to add to a general group album/sub when needed.

4. Title and description for each photo.

5. Allow owner/moderator to move photos (and files) as needed to maintain the intended layout of the group. Ownership of the file should be maintained by the person that uploaded it.

6. Comments, photostream, rating, and other options aren't currently important to me, but I can see how they could be useful.

Duane

Judy F.

Duane, everything you said is good and on my wishlist also. One thing you didn't mention was giving the owner/moderator of the group ability to remove or edit photos. The editing should also be allowed for the owner of the photo. No other member can edit or delete another member's photos.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2015 11:01 AM
Subject: [beta] Re: Photos Wishlist Thread #photos #wishlist

My wishlist for a Photos section:

1. When photos are uploaded, "resize" them for online use. Many folks use the highest resolution and number of colors when taking pictures. These aren't needed for screen viewing, only for full size printing. I've had people email me photos at 4320x3240, 600 dpi, 32 million colors with a file size well over 3 MB when a file that was resampled to 35-50 KB would have worked as well. (not sure if it's feasible, but check for file type and not allow photos to be uploaded to the Files area.)

2. Sub-albums would be nice. I see it as having an album for each member, though not required, and having sub-albums for specific items.

3. I'd like each member to be able to use their own album/sub, but also be able to add to a general group album/sub when needed.

4. Title and description for each photo.

5. Allow owner/moderator to move photos (and files) as needed to maintain the intended layout of the group. Ownership of the file should be maintained by the person that uploaded it.

6. Comments, photostream, rating, and other options aren't currently important to me, but I can see how they could be useful.

Duane

Benoît Dumeaux <dread_axefr@...>

Edited

* Add People can view to the group photos section option or give the to members the public option.
* Send Facebook notification when new photo is send to the photos section.
* If comments, send notification or the message to messages section