Topics

moderated New bulk topic actions

Hi All,

You can now do actions to topics in bulk:

- delete topics
- add/remove hashtags
- merge multiple topics into one topic
- set moderated/locked/sticky

I've put it up on a test page for now, for feedback. You can see it by going to /topics-test instead of /topics (ie groups.io/g/GROUPNAME/topics-test). You will only see a difference if you have archive editing privileges.

Please let me know if you see any issues or have suggestions.

Fantastic, I’ve been hoping for this for a long time! 😊

On Jul 13, 2018, at 1:14 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

You can now do actions to topics in bulk:

- delete topics
- add/remove hashtags
- merge multiple topics into one topic
- set moderated/locked/sticky

I've put it up on a test page for now, for feedback. You can see it by going to /topics-test instead of /topics (ie groups.io/g/GROUPNAME/topics-test). You will only see a difference if you have archive editing privileges.

Please let me know if you see any issues or have suggestions.

I just tried to merge a topic on the normal page and got a 404 page not found error.  After reading this topic, I tried using the new page and it worked fine.  Possibly related?  If not, let me know and I'll send details to support.  Buttons at the top of the new page look a bit funky/misaligned.

Hi Duane,

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 3:25 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
I just tried to merge a topic on the normal page and got a 404 page not found error.  After reading this topic, I tried using the new page and it worked fine.  Possibly related?  If not, let me know and I'll send details to support.  Buttons at the top of the new page look a bit funky/misaligned.

Old merge should be fixed now.

Mark,

You can now do actions to topics in bulk:
Please let me know if you see any issues or have suggestions.

There are some alignment issues with the action buttons. They seem to think they're constrained to a middle column despite being on their own row.

It gets funnier as you drag the window narrower: the left and right objects start stacking up also, apparently to avoid colliding with the whitespace between them.

Shal

Mark,

You can now do actions to topics in bulk:
Please let me know if you see any issues or have suggestions.
Nitpick: Adding -test to the topics list of a group you do not moderate causes a slight downward shift of the list of topics. The row for the absent buttons apparently still influences the layout.

Shal

Hi Shal,

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 12:44 PM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

There are some alignment issues with the action buttons. They seem to think they're constrained to a middle column despite being on their own row.

This should be fixed now.

Chris Jones

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 04:02 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

There are some alignment issues with the action buttons. They seem to think they're constrained to a middle column despite being on their own row.

This should be fixed now.
That's much better! Is it envisaged that this will become the standard "Moderators' View" or will it be user selectable along the lines of "Normal / Advanced"?

Chris.
PS: Have a good holiday!

Chris Jones

Mark; further to the above fix I have had a cautious "play" with the (potential) new capability and would offer the observation below.

With nothing "selected" the function buttons are effectively greyed out, but it isn't all that clear when something has been selected for action; the change in the appearance of the 4 new buttons is fairly minimal.

Would it be possible for the buttons to actually change colour when a selection is made, with the Delete button being red to minimise the risk of mishaps?* Different colours for the other three (Merge, Hashtags and More) might also be helpful.

* Being cautious I didn't put this to the test but can we assume that the Delete function requires confirmation before deletion actually occurs, much as it does now?

Chris

Chris,

With nothing "selected" the function buttons are effectively greyed
out, but it isn't all that clear when something /has/ been selected
for action; the change in the appearance of the 4 new buttons is
fairly minimal.
Agreed.

* Being cautious I didn't put this to the test but can we assume that
the /Delete/ function requires confirmation before deletion actually
occurs, much as it does now?
It does.

It puts up a Verify Delete dialog box that cites the number of topics selected and asks if you want to delete them. It has Cancel and Yes buttons.

Shal

Leeni

The bulk feature was very easy to use.

I just used the bulk actions for changing a newly added group's email privileges to being on moderation as a new member so I can see how they post. It did one page at a time which was great!!!! Then I went back to view the list to set those members who didn't have to be on Moderation giving them a check, and changed their settings by bulk to being able to post.

It worked really well. Much better then the Y group where you had to check each member's row individually.

I also changed everyone using the bulk to individual mail.

The bulk feature is a great one to have.

Ilene

  > With nothing "selected" the function buttons are effectively greyed
  > out, but it isn't all that clear when something /has/ been selected
  > for action; the change in the appearance of the 4 new buttons is
  > fairly minimal.

Agreed.

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 07:45 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
It puts up a Verify Delete dialog box that cites the number of topics selected and asks if you want to delete them. It has Cancel and Yes buttons.
Shal; thanks for that.

Chris

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 11:27 AM, Chris Jones via Groups.Io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:
Mark; further to the above fix I have had a cautious "play" with the (potential) new capability and would offer the observation below.

With nothing "selected" the function buttons are effectively greyed out, but it isn't all that clear when something has been selected for action; the change in the appearance of the 4 new buttons is fairly minimal.

Would it be possible for the buttons to actually change colour when a selection is made, with the Delete button being red to minimise the risk of mishaps?* Different colours for the other three (Merge, Hashtags and More) might also be helpful.

I've changed the colors. Please let me know what you think.

This will become the normal view for people who have archive editing privileges.

Chris Jones

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 06:00 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've changed the colors. Please let me know what you think.
Well I think that's much better. The change from "idle" to "active" is also a bit more obvious as well.

This will become the normal view for people who have archive editing privileges.
Thanks for the clarification. With "confirmation" required (as per your post in a different thread) being able to toggle the functions on and off is of much reduced importance.

Thanks for the above.

Chris

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- Looks very powerful, and especially helpful for merging topics.

I gotta admit though, I find the capability to delete 100 topics with just three mouseclicks to be somewhat unnerving. I'll have to do some retraining of my group co-owners when this goes live, so please give us a heads-up before you do that.

Thanks,
Bruce

Benoît Dumeaux

Excellent!!