Topics

moderated #suggestion - Remove hashtag tab when none exist and restricted #suggestion

Tom Vail

I would like to suggest the Hashtag tab be removed when there are no hashtags and only moderators can create them.  It is the same principle as files, photos, databases, and Wiki.  If they are disabled the tab does not show.

If the group is set by the owner not to allow members to create hashtags, and there are no hashtags to be used, why confuse the issue by having the hashtag tab available?

I assume most groups us hashtags to some degree, but they do not fit our application.  It would be nice to not only clean up the display but eliminate the "What does the hashtag tab do?" questions.

Peace,
Tom

I think this would be a lot of work for the system to keep track of. Every time someone created a hashtag in a group, or unchecked the setting "only moderators can create hashtags," the layout would have to change. (BTW, the other features (Files, etc.) do not work that way. They appear even under the conditions you're describing.)

Tom Vail

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 07:11 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I think this would be a lot of work for the system to keep track of. Every time someone created a hashtag in a group, or unchecked the setting "only moderators can create hashtags," the layout would have to change.
This is what computers do, and is the same process as it does today.  It would not be a manual process.

(BTW, the other features (Files, etc.) do not work that way. They appear even under the conditions you're describing.)
Sorry J, but you are mistaken on how it works.  If you disable "databases" the database tab does not appear on the list of tabs for the members, see below.  And I know Wiki works the same way, although I've not tested photos and files.

Peace,

Tom

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 08:06 AM, Tom Vail wrote:
It would not be a manual process.
Of course it wouldn't. But it puts a completely unnecessary load on the system to run through the check every time someone creates a hashtag in a group or changes that setting.

I've not tested photos and files

Maybe you should do that.:-)

BTW in my groups with no databases and no files and only moderators can create them, these tabs still appear. I'm not going to bother to check the rest. Perhaps your group has databases invisible to members, as well?

In fact, even when made invisible to group members, the database and files tabs appear (and presumably the rest as well). The only time they disappear is when you check "disabled." If a group disables one of these features, as you have apparently done, it seems reasonable to disappear the tab.

Bottom line: you currently can't disable hashtags, so there's no equivalency. If Mark adds a "disable" checkbox for hashtags, then your suggestion seems reasonable. Otherwise, it's not reasonable in my opinion.