Topics

moderated New Google Maps table view and table export

Hi All,

For premium groups, if a table has an address column, viewing that table now defaults to a new Google Maps view. I've created an example table so that you can see it in action here:

You can toggle the original list view as well.

Also, I've changed how tables are exported and imported. Now, Export Table returns a JSON object containing all the table information. And there's a new Import Table button that lets you generate a new table from a previous table export. You can still import CSV formatted rows into an existing table using the Import Rows button. Group exports now export tables using the new JSON object format.

Nina Eppes

>> Also, I've changed how tables are exported and imported. Now, Export Table returns a JSON object containing all the table information.

One of my subgroups has a database of chorus members that lists their names, voice parts, addresses (with separate fields for street, city, ZIP - thankfully not affected by the new maps view, which I would not want to use in this case), and so on. I sometimes need to export that database to a spreadsheet, so exporting to CSV format is useful. I have no idea what to do with a JSON object (I don't even know what it is :-) ). Is it possible to put JSON content in a spreadsheet? If so, how? If not, can the export database function provide options for CSV or JSON output?

- Nina

Toby Kraft

Mark,
I agree with Nina!  Adding Json is fine for the few geeks among us but don't take away the CSV export!
Also, please review the many requests for generating a download file in either CSV or XLSX format to make easy to grab and use the data.  Xls would be nice as that would include the data type for the columns.
Thanks!
Toby

Bob Bellizzi

I have to agree, removing csv format is not a great idea

--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Hi All,

I have restored the option to export a database in csv format, in addition to json format. Also, the exports automatically download now.

Toby Kraft

Awesome! thanks.

Linda Standart

I have encountered a new issue in my group (https://groups.io/g/SecondSaturdayAlteredBookGroup) when I go to the member address and phone book database I get an error.
" Groups.IO says
Geocode was not successful for the following reason:
OVER_QUERY_LIMIT"
It displays a partial map of the general region (South East) with indicators for the location of the addresses in the address book. But nothing on the page works and the information is not in table format

Not sure what this means or why it's happening. But it is new, so I am wondering if it has something to do with the new google Maps table view and table export
Any thoughts?

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 3:11 PM, Linda Standart via Groups.Io <standartlinda@...> wrote:
I have encountered a new issue in my group (https://groups.io/g/SecondSaturdayAlteredBookGroup) when I go to the member address and phone book database I get an error.
" Groups.IO says
Geocode was not successful for the following reason:
OVER_QUERY_LIMIT"

Some limit is being hit and I'm not sure what it is. I have a support request into Google and hope to have an answer back in a day or two.

Linda Standart

Thank you, Mark. That was a bit of an unhappy surprise. Fortunately my group is small, so I can generate a file with the information without too much trouble.That will serve for the time being.
Interesting addendum here, I accessed a similar file in another group to which I belong and did not encounter the problem
Linda

Linda Standart

I just realized that the other group is not a premium one. Interesting
Linda

Mark Irving

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 09:54 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I have restored the option to export a database in csv format, in addition to json format.

JSON format exported data include a "row_num" attribute corresponding to the ID shown on screen, but CSV data don't. This seems inconsistent.

JSON data include a lot of "date": "0001-01-01T00:00:00Z" and "time": "0001-01-01T00:00:00Z" attributes of data fields, but all set to those same constant values. These don't seem very useful, and neither format includes the Updated date-time as shown on screen.

Could the two data formats please be made to include the ID and Updated information?

 - Mark

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 8:50 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 3:11 PM, Linda Standart via Groups.Io <standartlinda=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have encountered a new issue in my group (https://groups.io/g/SecondSaturdayAlteredBookGroup) when I go to the member address and phone book database I get an error.
" Groups.IO says
Geocode was not successful for the following reason:
OVER_QUERY_LIMIT"

Some limit is being hit and I'm not sure what it is. I have a support request into Google and hope to have an answer back in a day or two.

This should be fixed now.