Topics

moderated Searching In databases

Leeni

Would it be possible to have the search feature in the database be less sensitive. I guess that is what you could call it. As it is set now in order to bring up a record in the database the wording has to be exact. For instance if I am looking for a group in my database called Tags For You (made up name)  and I type in Tags - nothing comes up because it listed in the database as TagsForYou.

It would be really helpful if you can just plug in the search the word Tags or any part of the group's name and then all records with Tags or whatever partial word was put in, what I will be looking for will come up.

So many times I am trying to do a search but I don't have the name in the database exactly as it was entered.

I am sure other members would benefit from this change as well.

Thanks for attention to this matter. Ilene

Duane

This was discussed quite awhile back.  If you just use normal words, it won't have a problem, i.e. Tags For You instead of TagsForYou.  When this new version of search was added, one of the restrictions noted was that it won't do partial word searches and it wasn't a high priority addition.  You should have been here about 3 years ago when the search function was really bad!  I'm thankful to have what we do and do my best to make it work.

Duane

Leeni

3 years ago I didn't even know IO Groups existed. Wish I did.
I now have 2 of my groups moved and in the process of 3 more getting moved and then I will do the last 2 of my groups.

I understand about using normal words.
But many members when putting their groups in the database - write it as it is listed in groups IO like tagsforyou instead of Tags For You so it would be great if partial names would be picked up.

Well I am not going to sweat the small stuff.

At least I know with groups IO, messages go through to the group when they are sent!!!!!!

Ilene

This was discussed quite awhile back.  If you just use normal words, it won't have a problem, i.e. Tags For You instead of TagsForYou.  When this new version of search was added, one of the restrictions noted was that it won't do partial word searches and it wasn't a high priority addition.  You should have been here about 3 years ago when the search function was really bad!  I'm thankful to have what we do and do my best to make it work.

Duane

Ilene,

I guess that is what you could call it. As it is set now in order to
bring up a record in the database the wording has to be exact.
I call it partial-word matching. And I'd love to see it too.

Not just in Database, but everywhere. The only place in Groups.io that I know implements partial-word matching right now is the Members list. It is really needed in the Activity log and Messages as well.

Shal

Leeni

Well maybe one day it will happen.........
It is needed.
Ilene