moderated Poll suggestions

Michael Pavan

-Open and Closed dates and times for Polls.
-Ranked Choice Voting
-No one can view results before a Poll closes.
-No one can view who responded to the Poll.
-Who can view who responded to the Poll and when.

Full Disclosure of Polls' selected options so that everyone knows what the terms and conditions are.

Results should include total numbers of votes for each choice, how many possible voting email addresses, and how many voted.

ro-esp

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 10:23 am, Michael Pavan wrote:

-Ranked Choice Voting
Please elaborate what you mean by that

-No one can view results before a Poll closes.
should be optional. I can imagine situations in which a poll doesn't close at all :-)

ro-esp

I'm not sure whether I asked this already or maybe it was already implemented:polls should be numbered. That way if they lead to discussion, you won't get confused as to which poll you are discussing about. Or if they come quickly after one another, about which ones you already answered.

"please answer poll 56" is a lot clearer than "there's a new poll"

groetjes, Ronaldo

Michael Pavan

-Ranked Choice Voting
Please elaborate what you mean by that
If there are not a majority of votes for a candidate (whatever is being voted on), then an Instant Runoff occurs using 2nd choices, etc.
http://www.fairvote.org/rcv#where_is_ranked_choice_voting_used

It is also known as Ranked Voting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranked_voting

-No one can view results before a Poll closes.
should be optional. I can imagine situations in which a poll doesn't close at all :-)
Yes, these where all suggestions of options for Polls.

Currently there are no specified Open and Close dates and times.
If a Poll has no stated Close date and time, and the results can be viewed by Moderators and/or Poll creators, then the Poll could be suddenly closed at any point when a desired outcome is in the lead. I’ve seen this happen.

If results can be viewed during a Poll, say by everyone, it is possible that some would not vote either because it appears their choice has a large lead or deficit.

My suggestions are motivated that Poll, should be set up to be transparent (everyone knows what its parameters are) and fair (no one has an advantage). Yes, because anyone may have more than one subscribed email address, we have ‘1 email address, 1 vote’ rather than ‘1 person, 1 vote’.

I concede that the objective of a Poll might not be ‘a fair election’, but rather an indication of ‘what is trending now’. However a Poll which never closes will run out of additional votes that can be cast if only 1 vote is permitted per email address, as at some point every email address that will vote already has. This could prompt some to subscribe with additional email addresses in order to have additional votes - I doubt this is desirable.

Additional Suggestion:
Only email addresses subscribed before a Poll is either Opened, or better yet already subscribed, should be able to vote in a Poll.

Michael Pavan

Excellent suggestion that all Polls should have a unique identifier - Number, Date, and/or Name.

Number - works but does not remind what the Poll was about or when.

Date - probably would have a higher recognition rate.
However if dated and there were more than 1 Poll in a day, how would that be handled?

Named, should also include a date (as many polls are likely to be repeated) - would have highest recognition rate.