Topics

moderated Updating existing file in Files #suggestion

YT9TP - Pedja

When I need to replace already uploaded file in FIles, I have to delete existing file first and then upload new with the same file name.

In the process, I also have to copy and save file description as I want to preserve it and then set it again on new file version upload.

I could not find better way to do it.

There is option to edit existing file but it allows editing file name and description only.

It would be good to have an option to simply replace already uploaded file with new one without loosing any other data about file.

I made this same suggestion awhile back. It might already be on the Todo list. I'm not sure.

This was brought up about 3 years ago, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/1545  It was on the TODO list at one time, but I don't see it now.

Duane

Toby Kraft

Another feature I suggested to Mark a while back is to incorporate an online office suite into the site.  This would allow users to collaboratively edit files without upload/download and "keeping it all straight" issues.  Before I came to groups.io, I used a site that had this and it was great.  Like having your own private to the group Google Drive.  Like OnlyOffice or some other open source online document editor package.  Lot of work to integrate with security model though I imagine.
Toby

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 7:36 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
This was brought up about 3 years ago, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/1545  It was on the TODO list at one time, but I don't see it now.

The Edit File dialog now has a button to bring up the file chooser and pick a file to replace the existing file.

YT9TP - Pedja

It works now, but it seems there is another bug: after file is uploaded, file list shows upload date as unchanged - it shows previous upload date.

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 06:45 PM, YT9TP - Pedja wrote:
It works now, but it seems there is another bug: after file is uploaded, file list shows upload date as unchanged - it shows previous upload date.
Your post on June 28 said that you didn't want to lose any other data about the file. While I agree that the date of upload and the person who did it should be updated, based on the original feature request the current behavior is a not a bug.

Regards,
Bruce

YT9TP - Pedja

I agree. That is why I said "it seems there is another bug".

I am actually thrilled how quickly you guys respond and fix bugs.

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 3:21 PM, YT9TP - Pedja <yt9tp@...> wrote:
It works now, but it seems there is another bug: after file is uploaded, file list shows upload date as unchanged - it shows previous upload date.

It will now show the new upload date.

dave w

OP-
Good document control practise is that you do not have a constantly named file unless it's iteration is also described.
People will inevitable download these things and then not know what version it is they have. (Ever been accused of misleading ppl only to find they have a 3 year old file they use for reference)?
Relying on a 'change date' field is a poor second best 'control'.

Not criticising Marks bug fix or reasons for change ;-)
regards
davew

YT9TP - Pedja

I agree but I need to have nonchangeable URL as this links may be posted in lots of places and it is not possible not practical to track and update them with each file update.

In WordPress site, which I maintain, I have download plugin that allows me to use fixed download link but when accessed it redirects to file name that contains version information. That provides me the best of both: fixed download link and file is saved containing versioned name.