Topics

locked View All xx Messages In Thread no longer scrolls to this message #bug

Shal Farley

Mark,

I'm not sure when it changed, but some time in the last few days the behavior of the "View All xx Messages In Thread" button has changed.

It used to be that clicking that took you to the Thread View, but scrolled to the position of the message where you clicked. Now it takes you to the "top" of the thread (as defined by your current sort-order).

Notably the #msgnum fragment element is still on the URL when you hover over the button, and still displays in the address bar when you arrive at the thread; suggesting that the change in behavior was not intentional.

Having it scroll to the position of the message was handy for me because I would arrive at the message (Single View) by way of the View This Message link in an email message. My intention being to skim the rest of the thread before completing my reply to the message in question (in case my comment or question is mooted by later replies). I could click "View All xx Messages In Thread" and reading forward from that point. Now I land at the top of the thread and have to find that point again.

I realize I can use the Arrow to the right of that button to read the rest of the thread in Single View, and that's a good affordance too, but when just skimming I find scrolling the Thread View to be more convenient than clicking across the Single Views.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Edited

I thought I was imagining things or threads were being split. I'm now finding it very difficult to find the whole thread at all. I have to instead do a search on terms.

EDIT: Actually, in re-reading Shal's thread I think I'm seeing different behavior. Cancel what I just said. I haven't put my finger on what's going wrong yet. I'll check it out some more.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Hi Shal,

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Shal Farley <shalfarley@...> wrote:

I'm not sure when it changed, but some time in the last few days the behavior of the "View All xx Messages In Thread" button has changed.

It used to be that clicking that took you to the Thread View, but scrolled to the position of the message where you clicked. Now it takes you to the "top" of the thread (as defined by your current sort-order).

This broke when I added the infinite scroll stuff. It should be fixed now.