Topics

setting to moderate every thread a member starts #suggestion

A setting on the member page to moderate every thread the member starts would be helpful.

J,

A setting on the member page to moderate every thread the member
starts would be helpful.
Could this be something like a sixth choice under Posting privileges, say "Override: new topics moderated"?

The question then becomes what happens to replies they make to existing topics. I'd propose that they be handled according to the group's policy (not overriding group-wide moderation, if in effect).

Shal

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 11:04 am, Shal Farley wrote:
Could this be something like a sixth choice under Posting privileges, say "Override: new topics moderated"?
Shal, I envision it as a subsetting under "override, moderated" and therefore all their replies to other topics would be moderated, as well. I can't see that someone with this setting would not ALSO be moderated.

J,

Shal, I envision it as a subsetting under "override, moderated" and
therefore all their replies to other topics would be moderated, as
well. I can't see that someone with this setting would not ALSO be
moderated.
Oh! I was confused - I had thought you were going for an ability to let the member freely reply, but not start new topics without moderation.

You mean to moderate the entire topic not just the topic starter. That is, moderate replies by anyone to any topic this member starts.

Shal

Exactly. Any topic they start would be a moderated topic. It would also force the member to be on moderation (if not already).

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 23, 2018, at 3:56 PM, Shal Farley <@Shal> wrote:

J,

Shal, I envision it as a subsetting under "override, moderated" and
therefore all their replies to other topics would be moderated, as
well. I can't see that someone with this setting would not ALSO be
moderated.
Oh! I was confused - I had thought you were going for an ability to let the member freely reply, but not start new topics without moderation.

You mean to moderate the entire topic not just the topic starter. That is, moderate replies by anyone to any topic this member starts.

Shal
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: Every message in topics or hashtags you are following is emailed to you.
The first message of every new thread is also emailed to you.
You automatically follow any topics you start or reply to.

View/Reply Online (#17522): https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/17522
Unfollow This Thread: https://groups.io/unft/22657711/20540
Mute #suggestion: https://groups.io/mk?hashtag=suggestion&subid=48838
Group Owner: main+owner@beta.groups.io
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I actually really like Shal's idea of " an ability to let the member freely reply, but not start new topics without moderation." This would work really well for people who can reply OK within threads but who are incapable of creating a coherent subject line using hashtags correctly for their own threads.

Thanks.

Helen

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 11:50 am, Helen wrote:
I actually really like Shal's idea of " an ability to let the member freely reply, but not start new topics without moderation." This would work really well for people who can reply OK within threads but who are incapable of creating a coherent subject line using hashtags correctly for their own threads.
Personally, I have a bigger problem of people hijacking other people's threads, forcing me to engage in a split-and-merge frenzy. An option of this nature would not only fail to fix that problem, but actually encourage subscribers to do it.

Please count me as one vote in the "nay" category.

Bruce

I'm afraid you've lost me. I can't see how what Shal described would encourage thread hijacking, because people wouldn't know it applied to them (plus I don't think people hijack threads deliberately, they just don't think).

In any event this moderating option would be in addition to existing moderating options, not instead of them. With posters such as those you describe, I would have thought you would just deal with it as you currently do, presumably by moderating them permanently. But for my members who start threads with meaningless subject lines such as "#intro help" when they really need "new here, problems inserting the needle #intro #subqs," this option would be great.

HTH

Helen

I'd like to revive this request please. Getting very tired of subject lines full of hashtags and nothing else. Having the option to moderate threads members start but not ones where they only respond would be so helpful.

Thank you.

Helen

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 3:49 AM, Helen <helen@...> wrote:
I'd like to revive this request please. Getting very tired of subject lines full of hashtags and nothing else. Having the option to moderate threads members start but not ones where they only respond would be so helpful.

There are two separate discussions in this thread. Initially, J asked for a new per-member Posting Privilege, something like "Override: all topics this person starts are moderated", which also implies all replies the person sends are moderated (at the message level).

Helen, I think what you're asking for is another per-member Posting Privilege, something like "Override: moderate messages by this person that start new threads".

So, J's setting moderates the entire topic. Helen's setting just moderates the first message of the topic.

Do I have this right? And if so, how can I set this up so that it isn't completely confusing?

Chris Jones

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 06:22 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
And if so, how can I set this up so that it isn't completely confusing?

I don't think you can; I am almost completely bewildered, but in my case it doesn't matter because I don't have to try to find a way of implimenting "it" whatever "it" actually is.

Helen's case is clear (at least it seems so!) in that specific members are prevented from starting Topics without a Moderator releasing them. J's initial case did not specify if she was looking for a setting to apply to specific members or all members. I also cannot see why subsequent replies would also need to be moderated, if the problem lies in the way new topics are started, especially in the way the subject line is designed.

It would be a lot easier if suggestions specified the exact problem they were trying to address rather than propose some sort of solution to a problem that has not actually been defined.

Chris

Thanks, Mark. Obviously I can't speak for what Janet wants, I originally thought we wanted the same thing, but having re-read the thread, i agree she may well have been asking for something other than what I would like.

Yes, what I would like please is the ability to moderate the first post in any thread started by certain members. You are correct that I don't mind if they then can respond without moderation within their own threads, and I am happy for them to be unmoderated when responding to other people's threads.

This is purely because I have a number of members who are incapable of using subject lines correctly. For example, they just use a list of hashtags. (I believe such posts weren't allowed through previously, which I preferred, but it seems the subject line now becomes the hashtags). I also insist upon meaningful subject lines, but certain members can't manage those either. So I go and change them, but then people responding via e-mail end up in the original thread with the original subject line, and then I have to keep merging the threads.

In terms of confusion, I take your point. How about Moderate First Post In Any Threads Started By This Member?

Many thanks.

Helen

Chris Jones

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 11:37 AM, Helen wrote:
How about Moderate First Post In Any Threads Started By This Member?
(My Bold!)

Now that does make sense IMHO. I could not - and cannot - get my head around the idea that in a group of (say) 26 people A to Y could start and reply to topics without moderation, with Z being able to reply without moderation to topics initiated by A to Y, while any topic started by Z was not only moderated but forced A to Y to be moderated in their replies.

I simply cannot see what forcing A to Y to be moderated in the above case achieves or why it it is seen to be necessary.

Chris

Jeremy H

More generally, I would suggest 'Topic (thread) starting posts' as general moderation option, that can be set both for group and member (and for new members for first n), alongside the more general 'any post' moderation (which obviously includes 'first in topic' posts).

And that (if not already there), 'moderate topic' be present as a standard option on moderating messages.

Jeremy

ro-esp

This thing starts to make sense now. Yes, it can be a nuisance when people use the reply-button for things that are not replies.

However, a "new threads moderated" feature won't solve that...

groetjes, Ronaldo

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 11:28 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
J's initial case did not specify if she was looking for a setting to apply to specific members or all members. I also cannot see why subsequent replies would also need to be moderated, if the problem lies in the way new topics are started, especially in the way the subject line is designed.
I don't know why I missed these updates to this thread. First, yes I did specify that the setting would be on a per member basis. Otherwise, it would make no sense (having it apply to all members would essentially turn the group into a moderated group). Second, the reason I am asking for the entire thread to be moderated for any thread the person starts is that some people tend to create inappropriate threads, period. Not the subject line, the thread topic itself. (Of course, the subject lines in those and other cases can be problematic, but that's not the issue I'm addressing with this request.)

In answer to Mark's question below, about how to implement both Helen's and my requests without confusing the heck out of people, I'm sure there would be a way to word it. I haven't thought about it, but off the top of my head, I think something like this would work:

[checkbox] Override: moderate the first message of every topic
              [if above checkbox is checked, then display sub-checkbox] Also moderate all replies to every topic started

Now looking to some other prior replies I missed before, I think the language "by the member" suggested by people above is inconsistent with the current language of the posting privilege options, which is why I left it out. I think it's clear from the context (i.e., we're in the member page) that the setting refers to topics started BY THE MEMBER.

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 04:18 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
I simply cannot see what forcing A to Y to be moderated in the above case achieves or why it it is seen to be necessary.
I don't think you understand the concept of a moderated thread. They are extremely useful.

Chris Jones

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 08:21 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I don't think you understand the concept of a moderated thread.
Funnily enough I do, and agree with your comment on their usefulness.

What I don't understand is why a thread should be moderated for all simply because it was started by one specific person, of one of a small number of specified persons.

I look forward to hearing the underlying reasoning.

Chris

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 03:37 AM, Helen wrote:
I go and change them, but then people responding via e-mail end up in the original thread with the original subject line, and then I have to keep merging the threads.
Exactly! I used to go through this all the time and I eventually just stopped changing subject lines. Now if there's a subject line that's unacceptable for some reason, I edit out the whole message to make it blank (deleting the message prevents locking the thread), lock the thread, and ask the person to repost. Your suggested feature would be very helpful.

My suggestion does, as Mark has pointed out, go beyond yours. And I would prefer to have both. But if he decides to implement only yours, it would still be a help. If I set people whose threads I want to moderate to "moderate first message of every topic," at least I would have a chance to catch their topic before it becomes active and could still put the whole thread on moderation manually.