Topics

locked Message # and back/forth arrows appear 2 x on desktop in single message view #suggestion

Maria

I'm wondering why the message # with the back/forth arrows appears twice on single message views?

You see it on the top of the message and on the bottom.

Then you have the arrows to move back/forth in the thread ( different function) - but visually a lot of arrows.

Also you then see the message # 3 times.

Unless I am missing the utility of something - I'd suggest removing the top back/forth arrows + message # from the single message view.

That would make it similar on desktop to the way it's presented on mobile.

Of course - we are still left with the up arrow issue ( unless that's removed from this view)... but.. in the meantime, I think it would clean up the design on single message view a bit.

Maria

Maria

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 09:18 pm, HR Tech wrote:
I'd suggest removing the top back/forth arrows + message # from the single message view.

Actually on desktop, it may look better to remove the bottom duplicate ones, and keep the top ones.

Nightowl >8#

HR Tech wrote:>> Unless I am missing the utility of something - I'd suggest removing the top back/forth arrows + message # from the single message view.<<

Uhuh, not that one. That's the arrows that I use. I don't use the bottom set, nor do I want to always scroll down to get to the bottom set.

Please leave the double arrows with the Message# in the center at the top. I depend on it for navigation along with the Message # Box.

Get rid of the bottom one if no one cares, but I need the one on top. :)

Thanks.

Brenda
On High Anxiety Alert

Maria

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 02:07 am, Nightowl >8# wrote:
Get rid of the bottom one if no one cares, but I need the one on top. :)

I actually think removing the bottom one looks better and had posted a follow up stating that - so, I'm on same page.

Just don't think we need the back/forth arrows 2 x on single message view as it looks odd to have those repeat and then to see the message # three times on a single message.

Maria

I only use the ones at the bottom but I could adjust. I think it's more logical to use the ones at the bottom, because I think most people scroll to the next page when they get to the bottom of the page. I personally, at least, don't get to the bottom of the page and jump back up to the top to use the scroll buttons to get to the next page. I could adjust but it would cause having to take an extra (currently unneeded) step. I have no interest in looks if they trump efficiency.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 21, 2016, at 5:39 AM, HR Tech via Groups.io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 02:07 am, Nightowl >8# wrote:
Get rid of the bottom one if no one cares, but I need the one on top. :)

I actually think removing the bottom one looks better and had posted a follow up stating that - so, I'm on same page.

Just don't think we need the back/forth arrows 2 x on single message view as it looks odd to have those repeat and then to see the message # three times on a single message.

Maria

Maria

That was my first thought too ( remove the top ones), so all navigation options are at the bottom.

But then I wondered if it wouldn't be less confusing if the arrows that you can use to go back/forth within a thread were not on the same line as the arrows to move back/forth within message list. Which then brought me back to thinking the top ones should stay and bottom ones go. That and they look better on top then on bottom. But I figured if it's only a single message, unless it's super long, you aren't really having to scroll up, it's just clicking the mouse on top vs on bottom?

My main thing is I don't think we should have those arrows 2 x.

Maria

Maria

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 05:50 am, J_catlady wrote:
I only use the ones at the bottom but I could adjust. I think it's more logical to use the ones at the bottom, because I think most people scroll to the next page when they get to the bottom of the page

BTW I also mostly use the bottom ones, because that's where my eye is after I've read the message.

On mobile you only have the bottom ones, which is why the floating up arrow is an issue, but they'd feel and look awful on top on mobile because you always have to move the window down to read even a short post there.

I think on desktop you could make an argument either way but I'm not sure that means we need then twice (on top and bottom).

Maria

Maria,

I totally understand that reasoning. But I think the length of a thread vs the length of the message list as a whole tips the scale towards favoring the message list in this decision, leaving the controls at the bottom. I get your consideration of looks (although I'm less sensitive to that all things being equal, but I still don't think they're equal.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 21, 2016, at 6:30 AM, HR Tech via Groups.io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

That was my first thought too ( remove the top ones), so all navigation options are at the bottom.

But then I wondered if it wouldn't be less confusing if the arrows that you can use to go back/forth within a thread were not on the same line as the arrows to move back/forth within message list. Which then brought me back to thinking the top ones should stay and bottom ones go. That and they look better on top then on bottom. But I figured if it's only a single message, unless it's super long, you aren't really having to scroll up, it's just clicking the mouse on top vs on bottom?

My main thing is I don't think we should have those arrows 2 x.

Maria

Yes, yes, yes. Yes! That's where your eye goes. I totally agree. That's why putting them only at the top would cause most users an extra step.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 21, 2016, at 7:15 AM, HR Tech via Groups.io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

[...]

I like having them both places.

The top is convenient when skimming through short messages - the buttons stay relatively put and you can just keep your mouse still while clicking.

The bottom is convenient when you've scrolled down a long message and now you want to go on. It saves the extra step of popping to the top again. I'll admit it seems a bit repetitive with shorter messages, but then there's nothing else to be down in the lower right corner so I don't find it objectionable.

(My comments pertain to desktop rather than mobile use.)

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

I realized the convenience of both just recently, when I noticed that the top arrows were missing for databases. This means you can't easily get to pages of a table past page 1 without laboriously paging through each page. I'm about to write a suggestion that the top buttons also be included for databases. The bottom arrows are needed for the opposite reason: when you get to the bottom of a page and want to go to the next one, you don't want to be forced to go back to the top of the page.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 23, 2016, at 9:01 PM, Shal Farley <@Shal> wrote:

Maria,

I'm wondering why the message # with the back/forth arrows appears twice
on single message views?

You see it on the top of the message and on the bottom.
I like having them both places.

The top is convenient when skimming through short messages - the buttons stay relatively put and you can just keep your mouse still while clicking.

The bottom is convenient when you've scrolled down a long message and now you want to go on. It saves the extra step of popping to the top again. I'll admit it seems a bit repetitive with shorter messages, but then there's nothing else to be down in the lower right corner so I don't find it objectionable.

(My comments pertain to desktop rather than mobile use.)

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Maria

Then I wonder if in single view the blue message # can be embedded into the link icon?

We see the message # 3 x....

It's too much  - and the message content area would look much cleaner and better, as it does on mobile.

Maria

Maria,

Then I wonder if in single view the blue message # can be embedded into
the link icon?

We see the message # 3 x....
Tough call.

The message # between the date and the permalink is consistent with the presentation on Thread View and Expanded View. It may be my hobgoblin showing, but I prefer the consistency of presentation over the (IMO) minor clean up that would occur by removing, in Single View only, the number from between the date and the permalink.

You didn't suggest it, but I also can't see removing the message # between the arrows. It serves to concisely identify the function of the arrows - the new user would readily intuit that those arrows are next and previous in message number order.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Nightowl >8#

Shal wrote:>>Tough call. The message # between the date and the permalink is consistent with the presentation on Thread View and Expanded View. It may be my hobgoblin showing, but I prefer the consistency of presentation over the (IMO) minor clean up that would occur by removing, in Single View only, the number from between the date and the permalink.<<

Absolutely. I want the message Number to show up in both top locations.

Sometimes when I click to the next single message, the system hangs, and if I wasn't paying absolute attention, (Say I'm also watching the news), I don't know if it went to the next message number except for noting that both numbers are still the same and then I know. Plus, it puts a dotted blue box around the right arrow when this happens.

Shal wrote:>>You didn't suggest it, but I also can't see removing the message # between the arrows. It serves to concisely identify the function of the arrows - the new user would readily intuit that those arrows are next and previous in message number order. <<

As for not having the number between the arrows, same problem, if I don't see it create the dotted blue box around the right arrow and the number not change, I wouldn't realize it hadn't. And I agree, it points people to know that the arrows change the messages by number in single view.

And as for having the third number on the bottom, when reading a long post, both top numbers scroll off the top. so being able to note the number to write down or to remember for some reason, is easy, I look at the bottom one. If I had to, I would live without the bottom one, but not the top two.

If something needs to go in the permalink, make it the link icon itself, and keep the number to reference the link. I never even knew the link icon referenced the message number until it came up in one of these discussions.

Brenda