Topics

moderated Configurable date and time format options

Hi All,

In your account, on the Preferences page, the Relative/Absolute time preference has been removed. In its place are two new preferences, for how dates and times are displayed. You can display times either in standard format, or in military (24 hour) time. And dates you can display either MM/DD/YYYY or DD-MM-YYYY.

Dates formatted this way only shows up for dates that are older than this year. Otherwise, we continue to use 'Month Day' or, for something that happened on the current day, just the hour and minute (the complete date/time is available by hovering over the date). The calendar does respect the new date preferences.

At some point I will also add these preferences to the default sub settings for groups, but this was already a big change, and I wanted to wait and let the dust settle before I do that.

These changes touched every part of the website. I think I got all instances of dates and times, but there's a chance I missed some. Please let me know if you see any incorrectly formatted dates/times, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Sharon Villines

What about saving the time the message was sent in all the messages? I’ve already had an instance of having to prove the times of of messages. That’s how I discovered that they were not saved past the day of the message.

Sharon

From: Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io>
Reply: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io>
Date: June 21, 2018 at 7:39:11 PM
To: beta@groups.io <beta@groups.io>
Subject:  [beta] Configurable date and time format options

[...]

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 06:16 pm, Sharon Villines wrote:
What about saving the time the message was sent in all the messages?
It's already there. Just hover your mouse cursor over the displayed date/time at upper right.

Bruce

Sharon Villines

What about saving the time the message was sent in all the messages?
It's already there. Just hover your mouse cursor over the displayed date/time at upper right.
It isn’t on any of my lists.

Sharon

Bruce -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#17493): https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/17493
Group Owner: main+owner@beta.groups.io
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Mark,

And dates you can display ... or DD-MM-YYYY.
Reaching back in classmate group's Messages (and Topics) lists, and the messages themselves, I'm seeing 09-03-03 - that's just wrong. It at least needs to be four digit years so one has a 50-50 chance of guessing which field is which.

ISO 8601 for that would be 2003-03-09. If you're going to put the day first please ditch the hyphens. Use dots or slashes or something else to indicate that is a non-standard format.

Shal

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 09:27 pm, Shal Farley wrote:
I'm seeing 09-03-03 - that's just wrong. It at least needs to be four digit years so one has a 50-50 chance of guessing which field is which.

ISO 8601 for that would be 2003-03-09. If you're going to put the day first please ditch the hyphens. Use dots or slashes or something else to indicate that is a non-standard format.
I totally agree that 09-03-03 is definitely wrong. Weird punctuation is not going to correct the issue. The format needs to be non-ambiguous.

I am all for ISO 8601, but would live with Jun 22, 2018.

--
Gerald

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 03:45 am, Gerald Boutin wrote:
On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 09:27 pm, Shal Farley wrote:
I'm seeing 09-03-03 - that's just wrong. It at least needs to be four digit years so one has a 50-50 chance of guessing which field is which.

ISO 8601 for that would be 2003-03-09. If you're going to put the day first please ditch the hyphens. Use dots or slashes or something else to indicate that is a non-standard format.
I totally agree that 09-03-03 is definitely wrong. Weird punctuation is not going to correct the issue. The format needs to be non-ambiguous.

I am all for ISO 8601, but would live with Jun 22, 2018.

--
Gerald
I also meant to also say that I actually see 09/03/03 - not 09-03-03, for previous years and Jun 14 for previous dates this year.

--
Gerald

Chris V

Mark

good work

In the database option date columns are still mm/dd/yyyy and times are 9.00pm

not a great issue but would be good to be consistent.

Chris

On 22/06/2018 00:39, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know if you see any incorrectly formatted dates/times, and please let me know if you have any questions.

ISO 8601 for that would be 2003-03-09. If you're going to put the
day first please ditch the hyphens. Use dots or slashes or
something else to indicate that is a non-standard format.

Shal
I agree with Shal. I also think it's important to make the ISO standard one of the options. One of the big benefits to ISO 8601 is that an alpha sort on date will also fall in chronological order without any manipulation.

Dano

Arno Martens

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 06:21 pm, <@BruceBowman> wrote:

It's already there. Just hover your mouse cursor over the displayed date/time
at upper right.

Bruce

Bruce as I had mentioned somewhere else, hovering the mouse over the date in the daily digest does absolutely nothing.
Arno

Arno Martens

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 06:21 pm, <@BruceBowman> wrote:

It's already there. Just hover your mouse cursor over the displayed date/time
at upper right.

Bruce
Retracting my previous post.
One must hover the mouse over the date or time for a longer than typical PC time to get a reaction.
Arno

Arno Martens

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 09:27 pm, Shal Farley wrote:

ISO 8601 for that would be 2003-03-09.
Don't know why we cannot state it as a scientific notation in declining order of importance.
2018-06-22 17:18

Even though, my favourite to eliminate ambiguity is 2018-Jun-22

Arno

Hi All,

I have changed the date format to YYYY-MM-DD. I have also fixed the date and time formatting issues in tables, and in the activity search boxes.

Mark Irving

The full date and time displayed when the mouse pointer hovers over a date (in the Topics and Database-table views, at least) is format "Jan 1, 2016 ..." even when I have my date format set to YYYY-MM-DD. Not a significant problem, but it does feel a bit inconsistent. I'd expected the tool-tip date and time to be based on the main display date and time (so "22:40" might expand to "2018-06-22 22:40" and "2016-01-01" to "2016-01-01 01:23").

I like the effect of Mark's change to date formats.

 - Mark

Sharon Villines

I have changed the date format to YYYY-MM-DD. I have also fixed the date and time formatting issues in tables, and in the activity search boxes.

Hooray! In addition to being less ambigous, it sorts properly in chronological order.

Sharon

Sharon Villines

The full date and time displayed when the mouse pointer hovers over a date

I finally found it but by accident because people keep saying it is there. The arrow is very small and doesn’t always show at all. I found it on one message but when I clicked again in the same spot nothing happened. On three other messages, nothing.

It also appeared so briefly unless I held the mouse right there that I wouldn’t be able to type the date somewhere else. And I woulf forget it.

I’m using Safari on a Mac.

I haven’t been able to get signed in with Firefox or Opera. I don’t use Chrome — I think the last time I tried it insisted I link all my Google accounts. (I’m getting paranoid about Google.)

I’ve reset passwords etc. but nothing works. Safari does.

Sharon

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 03:24 pm, Sharon Villines wrote:
I finally found it but by accident because people keep saying it is there. The arrow is very small and doesn’t always show at all.
Mouse pointer issues in Safari are a somewhat "known" problem. People have also reported difficulty clicking on the Edit button of hashtags.

See https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/17067

Bruce

On 22 Jun 2018 at 14:19, Arno Martens wrote:

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 09:27 pm, Shal Farley wrote:

ISO 8601 for that would be 2003-03-09.
Don't know why we cannot state it as a scientific notation in declining order of
importance. 2018-06-22 17:18

Even though, my favourite to eliminate ambiguity is 2018-Jun-22
I totally agree with that, even though I never use dates in either of those
formats. For my own use (depending on context) it would be either 22-06-18 or
22 Jun 2018 (or even occasionally, as when writing a cheque 22nd June 2018).

All quite a contrast with olden times. I've seen a number of old wills in which
the equivalent was written as "The 22nd day of June anno Domini 2018",
sometimes with the "anno Domini" part written (fully) in Englsh translation,
and sometimes with even the numbers written out in words instead of figures.
Must have taken quite a time to write all that lot out with a quill pen!

Jim Fisher

--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 04:39 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know if you see any incorrectly formatted dates/times
There's a bug in the Event setup of the calendar.  I've got my preference set to 24 hr time, Start looks fine, but End shows a 12 hr clock (though the default end shows correctly.)  Another user has the 12 set, but sees 24 for End.  We both get an error, "You have entered an incorrectly formatted date or time." in red when trying to add the event.  Seems like a simple switch on the End time code.

Michael Pavan

Duane suggest I cross post this from GMF here

Calendar Time bugs

I've tried many times to create an Event in the Calendar, but keep getting the message:
"You have entered an incorrectly formatted date or time.”

The event is 4th Sundays, 2-5pm

1) I think the problem is with the time function in “End”

“Start” allows me to select: 2:00pm

however the “End” time box then displays “Invalid Date”, its pull down menu offers:
00:00 to 23:30 in 1/2 hour increments.
I’ve tried both 3:00 (duration) and 17:00 (24 hour clock)
and still get the same message when I click on "+ Add Event":
"You have entered an incorrectly formatted date or time.”

I would also prefer being able to specify times, rather than having to select 1/2 hours.

2) It is most annoying and frustrating that the form is then cleared and I have to re-enter every field again, instead of just indicating which fields need correction / completion

I find nothing in Help for: Calendar

I also searched in the GMF Wiki for: Calendar and the only result that comes close is
but it doesn't cover these bugs