Topics

moderated Problem with the way Groups.io sends group messages

Chris V

See
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/22405820#9379

I have just set up a group of some 300 and been hit by this 'feature'
This is MORE than just a spam issue. People sign up to talk to others of similar interested.
BUT they do not sign up to have everyone know their email address.

Because of this and the EU GDPR regulations I have had to close the group I just set up (lasted a couple of days)

For me to set up more groups larger than a handful of people this MUST be changed to send emails from only a groups.io email address

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 7:14 AM, Chris V <chris@...> wrote:
See
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/22405820#9379

I have just set up a group of some 300 and been hit by this 'feature'
This is MORE than just a spam issue. People sign up to talk to others of similar interested.
BUT they do not sign up to have everyone know their email address.

It sounds like you're looking for a forum type system, strictly (or mostly) web based. We're probably not the right solution for you.

Because of this and the EU GDPR regulations I have had to close the group I just set up (lasted a couple of days)

FWIW, my lawyers have no issue with respect to GDPR regulations about how we send messages.

Cheers,
Mark

Chris V

Mark

It sounds like you're looking for a forum type system, strictly (or mostly) web based. We're probably not the right solution for you.

You may well be right, a forum but one you can post to via emails.
An option to send emails in the form of the digest option (which does not have user email addresses) would be marvellous.

Chris

Laurence Taylor

Chris V <chris@cevsystems.co.uk> wrote:

Mark

It sounds like you're looking for a forum type system, strictly (or
mostly) web based. We're probably not the right solution for you.
You may well be right, a forum but one you can post to via emails. An
option to send emails in the form of the digest option (which does
not have user email addresses) would be marvellous.
Chris, the digest does have email addresses, as you can see (I take the
digest). You can still send emails to a list from whihc you take the
digest, I'm doing this now.

I agree with Mark, I think an email reflector is not what you want, as
they all work in pretty much the same way. (Yahoo did provide the
facility to relay messages without the sender's address, but such
"anonymous" senders could not post by email.)

Alternatively, people who do not wish to publicise their usual email
address can simply create a new one for group messages - this is by no
means uncommon.

--
rgds
LAurence