Topics

moderated Better control of muted hashtags #suggestion

bbannayan@...

It's been a couple years since this suggestion was made but as a new user this is nearly the first thing that came to mind.  Hiding unwanted hashtags would radically increase the signal to noise ratio in at least one of the groups I'm a member of.

Drew,

I was thinking of simply going to #Hashtags in the index and being able to select ones to mute/unmute.

​I agree with that, but I see it as separate from the question of whether to filter the Messages and Topics lists according to those selections.
The important thing is that online users should have the same functionality as email users.

​Currently one only has that functionality in the Topics and Hashtags lists available on the Groups.io home page (click the logo in the upper left). But those lists includes topics from all of your group subscriptions. And because there the Topic mute/follows are separated from the Hashtag mute/follows none of those exactly mirrors what you email inbox would have.

Shal

Drew

Shal,

I was thinking of simply going to #Hashtags in the index and being able to select ones to mute/unmute. But any way it is implemented would be fine with me. The important thing is that online users should have the same functionality as email users.

Drew

On 06/18/18 12:58, Shal Farley wrote:
Drew,
If there is going to be an online option to mute/unmute hashtags these
settings should also apply to the online message display.
​I've suggested <https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/16241> that this
functionality be included in the message list filter (funnel icon). That
way the user can control it easily. The filter panel currently has only a
Date selector, but checkboxes to exclude muted or unfollowed
threads/hashtags seems like a natural fit to me.
​Shal

Drew

The ability to mute hashtagged messages in the online display makes functional sense as well as logical sense.

Just to be clear I wasn't referring to Topic muting, but Hashtag muting only. I realize that in some groups, where all subscribers are permitted to create hashtags at will, there is probably little distinction between the two.

But our group uses hashtags for specific categories of messages administered by the owners. It would be very useful for our subscribers to be able to filter messages in the online display based upon these fixed hashtag categories. Currently, they can only select to view specific hashtag categories of messages; there is no way to hide a hashtag category as email subscribers are able to do. Having the ability to do so would make online browsing of messages much more convenient, in the same way it does for email subscribers.

If someone doesn't want to plow through specific categories of messages in their emails there's no reason they should have to do so in the online listing.

Drew

On 06/18/18 12:21, Bruce Bowman wrote:
On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 04:28 am, Drew wrote:

If there is going to be an online option to mute/unmute hashtags these
settings should also apply to the online message display.
While this makes a great deal of logical sense, it would be very difficult to implement. Personally, l like the ability to see threads I've muted online. Being forced to unmute a topic just to see if I *really* want to unmute it strikes me as counterproductive.
Regards,
Bruce

Drew,

If there is going to be an online option to mute/unmute hashtags these settings should also apply to the online message display.

​I've suggested that this functionality be included in the message list filter (funnel icon). That way the user can control it easily. The filter panel currently has only a Date selector, but checkboxes to exclude muted or unfollowed threads/hashtags seems like a natural fit to me.

​Shal

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 04:28 am, Drew wrote:
If there is going to be an online option to mute/unmute hashtags these settings should also apply to the online message display.
While this makes a great deal of logical sense, it would be very difficult to implement. Personally, l like the ability to see threads I've muted online. Being forced to unmute a topic just to see if I *really* want to unmute it strikes me as counterproductive.

Regards,
Bruce

Drew

If there is going to be an online option to mute/unmute hashtags these settings should also apply to the online message display. That is, if you choose to mute a hashtag you should not be served the muted messages either in your email or while browsing the Messages listing on the group page.

Drew

On 06/17/18 17:13, Dan Hartford wrote:
Hi,
I think it would be quite helpful to use the Hashtags page to allow group members to mute or un-mute various hashtags.  Each hashtag box should have a button at the bottom to "mute this hashtag" or "Un-Mute this hashtag" (depending on its current state for the user).  This would achieve several things.  1) easy to see which hashtags you have muted (maybe even including the remaining duration of the mute),  2)  easy for a new member to scan through the list of hashtags and mute those that are of no interest to them, and 3) allow a central place on the web interface to add/remove hashtag muting.
Thanks -- Dan

Dan,

I think it would be quite helpful to use the Hashtags page to allow
group members to mute or un-mute various hashtags.
Agreed. Same for Follow / Unfollow.

In fact I think this could be two checkboxes, one for Mute and the other for Follow.

Yes, I know that only one applies, depending on the Message Selection setting in your Subscription, but I'd make both visible at all times so that you can view and adjust them without having to first go change your subscription.

Shal

Dan Hartford