Topics

locked problem: edited date wipes out date posted #suggestion

Messages now show "edited [date]" at the bottom in the messages list. I think it's a problem that the edited date has taken the place of the originally posted date. Is it possible to show both? I know that the posted date shows up in the individual message view after the message is clicked on. But the missing posted date seems to be a lack of basic info in the message list.

BTW, I had to start a new thread for this issue, because using the search function it was not possible find the exact word I was looking for (namely, "edited") in order to conveniently include this message in the thread I wanted to include it in. Even with the word in quotes, I got back every single message containing the word "edit" (which includes every case of someone having prefaced an actual edit in the text with the word "EDIT"); every message containing the word "editing"; etc

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Duane

I personally don't see a reason for the original post date/time on the Messages View. If an edit has been made, then I'm interested in the correct(ed) information and when it was posted to make sure I've seen it. It doesn't change the sort order as far as I can tell, still uses the original date/time on the view.

I believe this was done to minimize the impact on mobile users by "combining" the Edited button/icon and the posted date/time.

Duane

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 06:18 am, Duane wrote:
believe this was done to minimize the impact on mobile users by "combining" the Edited button/icon and the posted date/time.

It was done after I (and others?) complained that the "Edited" badge was too prominent. I liked the solution of moving it down to the bottom with the rest of the basic info. But I didn't realize at the time, because I was looking at one individual message rather than the list, that the original posted dates are now missing in that location. I find that very bothersome.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Maria

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 06:18 am, Duane wrote:
I personally don't see a reason for the original post date/time on the Messages View. If an edit has been made, then I'm interested in the correct(ed) information and when it was posted to make sure I've seen it. It doesn't change the sort order as far as I can tell, still uses the original date/time on the view.

 I feel the same way. Unless, I'm missing something... ? I'm not sure why I need to see the original post date and the edit date in the messages list view. As long as it's in the single message view...

Maria

It's not a big deal. It's just a little thing that bothers me (and may eventually bother your average user...) But I'll pick my battles. ;)

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Ok, the nagging feeling that something is wrong with leaving out the date just took shape in the form of an example. Say you're scrolling through the message list by date, trying to find a message that you know was posted on a certain date. Say that's one of the key things you know about it. You don't remember the message #, because, as has been pointed out, who would? You might know who posted it (or you might not), and you probably know something, ranging from vague to definite, about its contents. Searching on terms may (or may not) be helpful. The only thing you're sure of is the posting date (or even date range.)

Or say you want to find all messages posted on a certain date (and there is not yet a "date range" advanced search option).

In either of those cases, you're screwed. If you remember it was posted in October, 2015, and you're scrolling through in that date range, you might see other posts during that month (or you might not - there might not have been any). If you did see some, you could check the surrounding messages (if there are any), but you would not see the message you're looking for AS POSTED ON THAT DATE.

That's the problem.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Duane

But the sort order is still the original posting date/time, so you'd find it right where you were looking. I've verified this on one of my groups.

Duane

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 09:53 am, Duane wrote:
But the sort order is still the original posting date/time

Yes, it is. I'd already checked that. I don't think that's good enough, and in fact makes things a bit worse IMO, since the dates displayed may seem to jump around.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

To emphasize/clarify the prior example: If I'm looking for a post from October 2015, and it was edited this morning, and either there are no other posts from October 2015 OR the ones from that month have ALSO been edited, there's practically no way I'm going to find the post by scrolling.

There clearly needs to be a date-range search at some point, but at this point, scrolling is all we've got, and with the posting date missing, it doesn't cut it for me.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

p.s. In fact, I'm going to "reclassify this" (at least in my own mind) as a serious problem or lack. You need to be able to search on, or at least scroll through, messages by date posted. Without that, it's like shooting in the dark.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Duane

Which, to me anyway, comes back to the fact that it was edited. In my mind, once an edit is made, I'd rather see it sorted by the edit date as though it were new.

Duane

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 11:52 am, Duane wrote:
In my mind, once an edit is made, I'd rather see it sorted by the edit date as though it were new.

First, it is NOT sorted by the edit date now. It is still sorted by the posted date (as you yourself pointed out). Yet that date is now gone from the list.

Second, I feel that the edit date is not the key date of the message. There can be many edits but only one "posted" date.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

In essence, it is sorted by a date that does not even show any more.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

To clarify: I am not at all requesting that the sort order change. The messages should continue to appear by posting date (IMAO). But I think that the date needs to be displayed in the list.

It's dumb to buy smart water.