locked Message # / permalink icon display

Mark,

From #10184, but that thread drifted off-topic:
Ok, I linkified the message number. I'm undecided on it. What I don't
like is that, because the link icon is oversized, the underlining when
you hover over the message number is not a straight line. I tried
reducing the size of the link icon but that looks weird in its own way.
https://groups.io/g/beta/message/10184

I don't know if some further tweaking has happened, but in the message Single View and Expanded View (on Firefox) it looks just fine: the underscore appears as an unbroken line under both. Looks good.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Maria

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 02:49 am, Shal Farley wrote:
I don't know if some further tweaking has happened, but in the message Single View and Expanded View (on Firefox) it looks just fine: the underscore appears as an unbroken line under both. Looks good.

I'm seeing it as one line too on firefox and I like it.

I think presenting it this way has the added benefit of providing an implied explanation for the link icon, which makes that message # ( the second of three on single view) feel more functional, whereas the other 2 are just for reference - like page #'s on a book. Maybe at some point the top navigation arrows can remove the message # all together as it's both there linkified and at the bottom of the page. In a book you'd have page #'s only once. But maybe there are reasons here why it's needed in both places that I'm not recognizing.

Maria

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Chrome the line is not joined, but no matter whether you hover over the message number or the permalink icon both become underlined at the same time.

This is not a huge issue to me because just the behavior when you hover tells you that what you're dealing with is a single linked entity.  However, if you want the look and feel to be 100% consistent take a look at what's going on in Chrome.   I'm on version 51.
--
Brian

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

If the one-link-line is an absolute must, and is difficult to impossible to achieve across browsers, then I'd vote for "un-linkifying" the message number and presenting it in italic font instead.  There just needs to be some visual indicator as its being its own entity not connected to the time.

I prefer keeping the message number and permalink icon as a link even if the line cannot be rendered as connected on certain browsers.  While unusual, it's not difficult to understand that these two things are one and the same just based on hover behavior.
--
Brian

Maria

On mobile, the time stamp and the message # permalink/icon (when viewing a message or a full thread ), perhaps should not be on the same line.

Maybe, in mobile, the time/date stamp could be tried in light grey under the display name? Or above the permalink. Not sure...there is something about the fact that the message # and icon + date isn't aligned with the display name.

Can't put my finger on it.

Maybe in mobile you just see the time/date + the icon without the number written out in single message and when in a thread?

Maria

Maria

Also on mobile, the time or date ( and message # if it stays) would probably look better in a smaller font. And I do think it's worth trying a light grey for the time/date and moving it on it's own line or under display name ( only if light grey and smaller font).

I just don't think it should have same weight as the message content or display name as it's secondary info you read only if you need that info. It's not central to the reading experience.

Sorry, obsessing over the visual elements on mobile ;)

Maria

Nightowl >8#

HR Tech wrote:>>Maybe at some point the top navigation arrows can remove the message # all together as it's both there linkified and at the bottom of the page. In a book you'd have page #'s only once. But maybe there are reasons here why it's needed in both places that I'm not
recognizing.<<

In my view, the main reason that I need it to stay in the middle in Single Message view, is so we can see that it changed. That's my indicator that I actually clicked it right, or that I changed the number.

Frequently, for some reason, after about 5 arrow clicks to change pages in single view, sometimes a click won't change it, it stalls. Then I know it didn't change and click it again.

It doesn't appear in Expanded Messages view, or in Message List.

Thanks, hope that helps. I'm at this point thrilled, and breathing a sigh of relief that the Message Number issue is fixed and working for me again. It's been a really bad week, and this made my weekend to get it fixed. :)

Brenda

Nightowl >8#

Maria wrote:>>Sorry, obsessing over the visual elements on mobile ;)<<

You shouldn't be sorry for that. You need the visual elements to work for you on mobile, just the same way I need them to work for me on desktop. There's nothing wrong with stating what you need or would work better for you. :)

Brenda

On 16 Jul 2016 at 2:38, Shal Farley wrote:

Mark,

From #10184, but that thread drifted off-topic:
Ok, I linkified the message number. I'm undecided on it. What I don't
like is that, because the link icon is oversized, the underlining when
you hover over the message number is not a straight line. I tried
reducing the size of the link icon but that looks weird in its own way.
https://groups.io/g/beta/message/10184

I don't know if some further tweaking has happened, but in the message
Single View and Expanded View (on Firefox) it looks just fine: the
underscore appears as an unbroken line under both. Looks good.
Weird.

I looked at it with Vivaldi, Opera 12, IE, and Chrome, and the underline is
offset 2 pixels on all except Opera, which is 1 pixel.

IMO, totally not something to worry about. You don't even see unless you
hover over it, and even then it's only for a second before you click it.

--
Jim
Poston@vch-nv.us

<< Will the information superhighway have any rest stops? >>