locked New website is live + reply to changes

Hi All,

The new website is now live for everyone. Please let me know if you see any issues.

I never responded to the (massive) thread on preventing Reply to Group/Sender mixups, but I did read everything and have made some changes based on your feedback, which you will see on the site now.

If the group allows it, there's now a toggle button at the bottom right of the reply box. Clicking that button toggles the main reply button on the left. This is similar to how several other services handle this issue, and I think is an improvement over what we had before.

Also, for replies to sender, the word 'Private: ' is prepended to the subject line.

I played around with having some way of selecting where your reply goes to before the reply box opens up, but was unhappy with everything I tried.

Maria

Congratulations!

Thank you for all your hard work!

👏🙏💥

Maria

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 1:12 PM, HR Tech via Groups.io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

Congratulations!

Thank you for all your hard work!

And thank you and everyone else for the help!

Mark

Also: "delete" is now "discard" in both places! Yay!

It's dumb to buy smart water.

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 01:03 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
there's now a toggle button at the bottom right of the reply box. Clicking that button toggles the main reply button on the left. This is similar to how several other services handle this issue, and I think is an improvement over what we had before.

Also, for replies to sender, the word 'Private: ' is prepended to the subject line.

I played around with having some way of selecting where your reply goes to before the reply box opens up, but was unhappy with everything I tried.

I give this mixed reviews. Of course I'm still unhappy that the user still has to click "reply" before clicking on "private," which is the same problem I lamented before. So I'm unhappy that you were unhappy with all the possible solutions you came up with (I'd love to hear what they were).

But if you're going to stick with this (and I hope not), I think the "private" toggle should be much more obvious. Among the other choices at the bottom, it's the only thing without a color and is extremely inconspicuous. Is that intentional, to make it more difficult to click "reply to sender"? I think it just makes things more difficult in general.

Also, it's a step in the right direction that the subject includes the word "private," but I don't think that's enough. There have been many, many occasions when despite my typing "Offlist - private" into the title, the recipient still has no idea that the message is private because they ignore titles and are reading the message bodies. I myself have fallen victim to this many times. I eventually began each such message with the sentence "This is a private (offlist) reply." People can throw advice at me to be a more careful reader - in fact, I'm anticipating it, LOL - but that doesn't solve the problem. I think the message body itself should also include something at the top.

Bottom line, baby steps in the right direction, but it doesn't solve what for me is the crux of the problem.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 02:10 pm, J_catlady wrote:
"private" toggle should be much more obvious. Among the other choices at the bottom, it's the only thing without a color

Mark, Did you just turn it blue or was I imagining things? :-)

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Maria

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 02:22 pm, J_catlady wrote:
Mark, Did you just turn it blue or was I imagining things? :-)

When you click "private" both the "private" toggle button and the "reply to sender" ( which then appears and removes the "reply to group" option) turn blue.

So you get a written, iconographic, and a visual color cue that you are now in "private" mode PLUS the word "private" in the subject.

It was like that at launch. Likewise in groups where the default reply is to sender the inverse happens and it goes from blue to green ( sender to group) when you click the toggle button.

I've now tested it multiple times in our test groups and I'm loving it.

Maria

weebeequilting <weebee.1@...>

One of my members reports the following:

The text lines are stacked on my email on the iPad.  ???

I have told her to check her settings in her email program and in Groups.io.  I am using an iPad at this very moment and do not have that problem.  I have it set for HTML.  Is there anything else I should tell her?

Janice B

AZ

Maria

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 04:53 am, weebeequilting wrote:
I have told her to check her settings in her email program and in Groups.io.  I am using an iPad at this very moment and do not have that problem.  I have it set for HTML.  Is there anything else I should tell her?

I've seen this happen with Y! digests ( not sure if it happens with individual html emails too) and it's typically because the end user has enlarged her font size too much and it messes with the design.

She can go in to settings and slightly reduce the font size or maybe if she switched to plain text it won't happen.

This may be why you are seeing it fine and she is not? Just something to try...

Maria

Maria

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 04:59 am, HR Tech wrote:
I've seen this happen with Y! digests ( not sure if it happens with individual html emails too) and it's typically because the end user has enlarged her font size too much and it messes with the design.

That said, just now I was not able to reproduce this with a groups.io digest even at the largest font size, it still worked fine on iphone and ipad. So it may not be that...

but separately, kudos to Mark for creating a digest that doesn't get messed up when a user has max font size set. Yeahy.

Maria

J,

Also, it's a step in the right direction that the subject includes the
word "private," but I don't think that's enough. There have been many,
many occasions when despite my typing "Offlist - private" into the
title, the recipient still has no idea that the message is private
because they ignore titles and are reading the message bodies.
I think you're right. Perhaps a note inserted at the top of the body as well, something similar to the edited message notice:

[Private Message Follows]

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Shal, That's my suggestion. Glad you agree.

Sent from my iPhone

J,