Topics

locked Hidden e-mail truncation in ellipses when clicked

Nightowl >8#

Mark,

When I checked out catlady's reply to me in message #10022, and click on the three dots ellipses, I still see my fig-leafed e-mail address. Is this something else to check, when the e-mail is ellipsed, does that show? It shows both Feathered Leader, and the truncated e-mail, and I would like it only to show Feathered Leader.

And this isn't something you missed, I just posted this tonight.

Please check it out, thanks.

Brenda

Feathered,

That's why you and others (not me) want fig leafs. The emails are showing onlist. That's your whole argument. And they show within the ellipses, too. The ellipses are gust for the purpose of collapsing prior posts when someone top posts and doesn't trim.

My point is that (a) it's a lot of work for the bad guys to have to go through all the messages and click on all the ellipses and (b) it would seem (naively) like a simple matter for the system to wipe email addresses from the site that appear as part of a top post or quoted message. Those are the bulk of the emails that show up (plumber references and the like would be few and far between), so wiping emails only in that case would solve your issue while leaving the plumber references intact.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 14, 2016, at 1:31 AM, Feathered Leader <featheredleader@att.net> wrote:

Mark,

When I checked out catlady's reply to me in message #10022, and click on the three dots ellipses, I still see my fig-leafed e-mail address. Is this something else to check, when the e-mail is ellipsed, does that show? It shows both Feathered Leader, and the truncated e-mail, and I would like it only to show Feathered Leader.

And this isn't something you missed, I just posted this tonight.

Please check it out, thanks.

Brenda

It's dumb to buy smart water.

I'm any case, as you will see when you reach that point in the old threads, this is now non-issue. Mark decided to make fig leafs an optional setting.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 14, 2016, at 7:33 AM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

J_catlady wrote:>>Feathered, That's why you and others (not me) want fig leafs. The emails are showing onlist. That's your whole argument. And they show within the ellipses, too. The ellipses are gust for the purpose of collapsing prior posts when someone top posts and doesn't trim...My point is that (a) it's a lot of work for the bad guys to have to go through all the messages and click on all the ellipses...<<

The bad guys in question would have no problem taking the time or energy to do just that. I've spent a great deal of effort in the last few years to keep this person out of my groups, and groups I'm in because of the lengths he will go to.

So yes, if Mark can eliminate the use of even the figleafed e-mail in the quoted part, even when hiddedn by ellipses, and only use the display or screen name, that would solve a lot of the problem.

Thankfully, I've seen no sign of this person having infiltrated this group, but I am always on guard.

Brenda
Nightowl >8#

Brenda,

So yes, if Mark can eliminate the use of even the figleafed e-mail in
the quoted part, even when hiddedn by ellipses, and only use the display
or screen name, that would solve a lot of the problem.
Eliminating email addresses altogether from the site's pages, including in message bodies and quotes, is something that was discussed at length as "Anonymous" groups - but that topic goes much further and also eliminates them from emails sent to members.

Currently the site "fig-leafes" (hides the domain part of) email addresses in message bodies (including quotes) when pages are seen by non-moderators. This is the same as what what Y!Groups do.

There is a proposal to make the "fig-leaf" optional on a group basis; implementing that option would show the entire email address to members (but not non-members, in groups with public archives).

So far as I'm aware there isn't a proposal to go the other way, and remove entire email addresses from message bodies as shown on site, without going all the way to "Anonymous".

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 08:10 pm, Shal Farley wrote:
There is a proposal to make the "fig-leaf" optional on a group basis

This is not just a proposal. Mark has said at least twice that he plans on implementing it but just hasn't gotten around to it yet.

It's dumb to buy smart water.