From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Christopher
Hallsworth
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 11:51 PM
To: Beta <beta@groups.io>
Subject: [beta] Why are we seeing our own email address after the
unsubscribe link?

Good morning.

The question is in the subject. Again, why are we seeing our own email
address next to the unsubscribe link? This is located in the footer of all
emails sent to a Groups.io list. Surely we have a privacy/security
vulnerability issue here. And, I don't mean to burst any bubbles here, but
in the EU new laws on data protection took effect as of Friday 25 May 2018.
In brief, all businesses, regardless of size, must now explicitly receive
permission from their customers regarding any form of personal data. You can
find out more on the General Data Protection Regulation, or GDPR, around the
web.

Thank you very much. I hope Mark looks into this sooner rather than later,
before something bad happens.

Kind regards Chris

Chris,

... why are we seeing our own email address next to the unsubscribe
link?
It is an aid to support with assisting users with unsubscribe requests (in the event they can't figure out how on their own).

Actually, I think it mostly helps to head off such requests in the first place - by clarifying the subscribed address in the event the user has multiple addresses, and especially users that forward messages among their addresses.

Surely we have a privacy/security vulnerability issue here.
Your address is revealed to you. What is the concern?

And, I don't mean to burst any bubbles here, but in the EU new laws on
data protection took effect ...
You aren't. Search for the multitude of prior messages on the subject in this group.

Shal

Christopher Hallsworth <challsworth2@...>

I see. Thanks for all the clarifications. Actually a good idea now I think about it, to assist users in unsubscribing from one or more lists.

On 13 Jun 2018, at 08:22, Shal Farley <shals2nd@gmail.com> wrote:

Chris,

... why are we seeing our own email address next to the unsubscribe
link?
It is an aid to support with assisting users with unsubscribe requests (in the event they can't figure out how on their own).

Actually, I think it mostly helps to head off such requests in the first place - by clarifying the subscribed address in the event the user has multiple addresses, and especially users that forward messages among their addresses.

Surely we have a privacy/security vulnerability issue here.
Your address is revealed to you. What is the concern?

And, I don't mean to burst any bubbles here, but in the EU new laws on
data protection took effect ...
You aren't. Search for the multitude of prior messages on the subject in this group.

Shal

Sharon Villines

On Jun 13, 2018, at 3:22 AM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@gmail.com> wrote:

Actually, I think it mostly helps to head off such requests in the first place - by clarifying the subscribed address in the event the user has multiple addresses, and especially users that forward messages among their addresses.
This will be very helpful. People do change their addresses or have 2-3 subscribed. They need to remember which one is receiving mail and be reminded that if they are changing email addresses, they need to change their email address.

Subscribers often have multiple addresses because they want to be able to send from work, etc., and may not be able to use other email addresses from work (no web access or limited access). They set the send only addresses to no mail.

On Yahoo it is possible to have more than one email connected to the same account. That doesn’t seem to be possible at Groups.io — right? Not sure it is necessary since signing up for an account is so simple — just asking.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Takoma Park DC and MD
"Neighbors Talking to Neighbors"
TakomaDC@Groups.io

Sharon,

On Yahoo it is possible to have more than one email connected to the
same account. That doesn’t seem to be possible at Groups.io — right?
Correct.

In Groups.io each address is the login ID for its own account (not including Alias addresses, but those don't receive messages from any group).

Not sure it is necessary since signing up for an account is so simple
I would find it somewhat handy to be able to visit groups subscribed under different email addresses without the need to logout and back in; or to keep them in separate browsers/devices.

But that feature does add some complexity to the user interface, more choices for people to make, more ways to get confused. So any implementation would have to be very carefully designed so that it doesn't mess up the nicely streamlined sign up and join flow we have now.

Shal