locked New search options

Hi All,

In the new mobile version, there are two new checkboxes for search. First, when viewing a particular thread and you bring up the search dialog, there's a checkbox to search only within the thread you're viewing. Second, in the search results page, there's a checkbox to Collapse Threads. This will return only matching threads. A matching thread is one where either there is a match in the thread subject, or a match in one of the message bodies within that thread. The Collapse Threads checkbox does not show up if you're searching within a thread.

Please let me know what you think and if you see anything weird.

Maria

This is very cool and will be super useful I am sure.

Just quickly a couple of weird things I am seeing:

1- When you enter your search term and then click "search" only in this thread - and then press return (or go on mobile) nothing happens because you've moved your cursor out of the search term box.  So - maybe we need a "search" button to activate the search next to the "close" button

2- After i selected search only this thread it didn't do that - it sent me back to messages

3- I am not seeing how it collapses threads... i'll continue testing.

4- If I search the term "slack" I still see my "I'm a novice with slack... " post 2 x

Thanks!

Maria

I like these ideas and anxiously await the version for desktop. :-)

It's dumb to buy smart water.

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 1:30 PM, HR Tech via Groups.io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

This is very cool and will be super useful I am sure.

Just quickly a couple of weird things I am seeing:

1- When you enter your search term and then click "search" only in this thread - and then press return (or go on mobile) nothing happens because you've moved your cursor out of the search term box.  So - maybe we need a "search" button to activate the search next to the "close" button

Hmm, I'll have to think about that. The reason there isn't a Search button right now is because of the two search fields (which would it submit?).

2- After i selected search only this thread it didn't do that - it sent me back to messages

Oops. Think it's fixed now.

3- I am not seeing how it collapses threads... i'll continue testing.

Collapsed threads will only return thread results, there are no individual message results.

4- If I search the term "slack" I still see my "I'm a novice with slack... " post 2 x

The first result is a match on the thread subject, so returns a thread match. The second result is a match on the message body, and is a message match. They look like duplicates because the thread match displays a message summary of the first message in the thread, which happens to be the same as your second match.

Not sure what the best solution to this is.

J,

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 1:35 PM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I like these ideas and anxiously await the version for desktop. :-)

They will "migrate" to the desktop when I merge in the new mobile version (maybe end of this week). If you have time, I'd appreciate you testing out the collapse threads option before then, because you were the main advocate of that and I want to make sure I got it right.

Maria

Thanks Mark,

Cool - the search with thread worked great now.

Ah, I understand now why there isn't a "search" button - that's tricky.. Maybe people will get used to clicking "search within thread" before entering their search term so the cursor stays in the field. Haven't tried yet on mobile.

I'm still not seeing how threads collapse - but this is me, I'm sure. I'm a bit exhausted today and I am using the term "slack" maybe i should try something else...? Maybe when others test they can share a term they used in which they then were able to collapse the threads. When i search "slack" then click "collapse threads" nothing happens and maybe that's exactly the way it should be.

Re: the duplicate search "i'm a novice". It's not a big deal and now that I understand why it's there, even less of an issue.

Maria

Maria

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 02:42 pm, HR Tech wrote:
When i search "slack" then click "collapse threads" nothing happens and maybe that's exactly the way it should be.

Aha! Now I see. I must have been doing something wrong before - it's working for me now.

Looks good !

Maria

Mark,

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 02:14 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
If you have time, I'd appreciate you testing out the collapse threads option before then,

Do I have to sign my email up to get the test mobile version? I was searching messages (ironically wishing that I could get threads back;) to see how I could test it, and all I found was one post saying I had to sign up for it. ?? Thanks.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

J,

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 8:37 PM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Do I have to sign my email up to get the test mobile version? I was searching messages (ironically wishing that I could get threads back;) to see how I could test it, and all I found was one post saying I had to sign up for it. ?? Thanks.

Just go to https://groups.io/test to toggle it. I believe the 'undefined' bug is also fixed in the test version.

Thanks, Mark, I know how to switch to test. But is that the same as mobile, which I think is what you wanted me to test? (You said the new search was in the mobile version.) I was assuming I had to download some app to get the mobile version but was hoping there was a way to get it on my laptop...???

It's dumb to buy smart water.

...p.s. If that even makes sense. I don't use many mobile apps, as you can probably guess. :-)

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 09:20 am, J_catlady wrote:
...p.s. If that even makes sense. I don't use many mobile apps, as you can probably guess. :-)

The new mobile version isn't an APP. It's mobile web via your mobile browser - just like before but an updated improved version.

What you are seeing at that test URL that you can toggle to is (i think)  what I see and I'm enrolled in the new desktop / new mobile version.

Try entering that URL in to your iphone's browser and your desktop and I think you will see what I see and the new search options.

I see the check boxes in both the desktop and mobile version because I'm in the new test version.

Maria

Thanks. I think this is going to be hard on my iPhone, which is still a5S (I'm skipping 6 and 7 on advice and waiting for 8), and I don't have an iPad. But I will soldier on for the cause LOL. :-)

While I'm at it: meanwhile I did go to the test version on my laptop, and I can't search at all from threads view. There's a magnifying glass but it doesn't seem to allow a search. This is probably just in a state of flux so I will ignore...

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Maria

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 09:45 am, J_catlady wrote:
There's a magnifying glass but it doesn't seem to allow a search.

Click the magnifying glass search icon.

It will open up a search window.

Maria

I did but the window didn't work for me. I'll try again later after taking a cat to the vet. :-) Thanks.