locked Reminder for "Following Only" Digest/Email Recipients that there are more/new topics?

Maria

I was looking at one of my test accounts; one that is set to receive digests of only topics that are specifically being followed, and I was wondering if there is any way to automatically remind recipients of digests and emails who have  the "only following" setting that there are more/new topics to pick from within the message archive?

This ties in to my concerns about the "following only" option and the description in the advanced preferences area (https://groups.io/g/beta/thread/2069633#9060) but tackles it from another angle.

If someone sets their advance preferences in a way that they didn't intend to, or if they forget they were set to "following" only, it would be great for the digest to automatically remind them that they are set for "following only" and that they can visit the web archive to see/follow all/other new topics. It took me a few minutes to realize why I hadn't gotten a digest in that test email account in a few days and then when i found the last one, it only had one post, and then i remembered I was using it to test this feature.

Even if people had intentionally set themselves to "following" only, I think it would be a nice idea to remind folks that there are more topics to follow. Seeing a digest with only a few posts could give an impression that a group isn't active (when it actually is). Maybe you've forgotten about your settings and haven't visited the web interface for a while... I am concerned that this could give a false perception which in turn could affect group participation.

Maybe if the digest is for someone who is "following only" or similar, it could say:

(where "follow new threads/hashtags" would link to "all messages" and "new" refers to in past 24 hours")

or

or in an individual email:

Or maybe there can be a section at the bottom of the messages followed - but before the footer - that lists linkified titles only of all new topics in the past 24 hours. A "More recent topics: Please click here to follow them" section that brings you to the "all messages" section where you can read and/or start to follow them.

Maria

Maria

I see that the individual emails (not digests) have info on them such as:

"You receive all messages sent to this group.
You automatically follow any threads you start or reply to"

Just adding that to this thread to be thorough - I am not sure what these say when you are not set to receive ALL messages?

Maria

Frances

Agreed. People do set and forget.

Frances

ro-esp

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 05:47 am, HR Tech wrote:

Maybe if the digest is for someone who is "following only" or similar, it
could say:

"This is a digest for xxx @groups.io. There are xxx new topics in your group.
Follow New Threads and Hashtags, Change Your Subscription"
I don't think anyone cares to be told how many new threads there are. You'd want to be notified about their *subjectlines*

(where "follow new threads/hashtags" would link to "all messages" and "new" refers to in past 24 hours")
It should have clickable links to the threads you want rather than to "all messages".

As to the "24 hours".. not everybody gets their digest daily. I'm thinking the list should include the new topics since the previous digest (maybe even those since the digest before that), or after 3.5 or 4 days. Whichever comes first.

or in an individual email:

"You are following this thread/hashtag on xxx @ groups.io. Change Your
Subscription, Follow New Threads and Hashtags."
I think people who choose a digest don't want extra individual mails. I think the list of new topics should be included in the digest one gets anyway, or separately after 3.5 or 4 days of not getting any digests at all.

it sounds like a lot of programming to me, but do you understand where I'm coming from?

groetjes, Ronaldo

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 04:28 pm, ro-esp wrote:
it sounds like a lot of programming to me, but do you understand where I'm coming from?

 Totally.

And to clarify - I didn't mean that if you are set to daily digest you should get any individual emails at all - as that would defy/betray your settings. I was just saying that those who get individual emails of ONLY the thread they follow could also use a way/reminder to help them be aware of what else is going on in the group. A link on their emails to help them pick more threads to follow if they want.

I didn't realize the digest wasn't every 24 hours -so yeah, in that case, new topics since last digest...

My suggestion of it linking to "all messages" was because I figured that might be simpler than actual thread subjects being listed.

That said - i love the idea of suggested topics both in the digests of those who are not seeing everything, as well as in general when you search for stuff.

I love anything that helps members get more involved with the interface as it helps define the space more as a place one feels is useful and comfortable.

Maria