locked Prefix "Offlist - " to subject lines of Send to Sender replies #suggestion

Shal Farley

Mark,

I'm pulling this one out because I think it merits its own thread.

Not that I think it needs a bunch of discussion, but I wouldn't want it to be lost in the shuffle.

The description here is written in terms of the current "Normal" group view, but the idea applies equally well to TestVersion's "Reply to Sender" and to whatever new implementation might replace those.

In message #9482 J wrote:
Interesting because I was about to suggest that the subject line for an
offlist message be *changed* to add the word "offlist," due to confusion
on the receiving end as well, not just the sending end.
https://groups.io/g/beta/message/9482

This doesn't help with the mixups that are the subject of that thread, but it would help with a related mixup by the replyee (person receiving the reply) who may not recognize that the message came to them directly rather than through the group.

This is something I try to remember to do manually but it would help if the web site feature "Send to Sender" (or whatever replaces it) would adjust the subject automatically.

IMO this simple change may be more beneficial than anything done about your original question for that thread.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Maria

I support this suggestion with the caveat that I think the term should not be "offlist". I agree with Jennifer who said that's a "term of art". As Groups.io is not just a listserv but so much more, I also think the wording should reflect the strong web component of this platform.

I'd prefer a term that is more relevant to those users who may have never used an email group before - and there will be /are plenty of those.

My preference is what twitter, slack, and instagram use: The word "Direct" - as in Direct Message / Direct Reply.

I had initially thought "Private Message or Private reply" but feel direct is more accurate and mirrors language users may have acquired via social media interfaces.

I also feel that adding a prefix automatically to the subject line will help a lot with regards to reducing mix-ups  - and it has added benefits when I sort offlist replies in my inbox.

Maria

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Here, again, I agree absolutely with the principle but defer to common practice for the prefix because the term "private message" in the context of a forum or e-mailing list is well known.  Either "Private:" or "Pvt Msg:" as a prefix would work perfectly, and there's probably not a soul out there who won't recognize what this means when the source is Groups.io or similar.  Virtually every forum (and, yes, one does have to look toward a forum in this instance since almost anyone knows how to address an e-mail to an individual if they have the address) has a private messaging system and the majority of them call it just that.  The abbreviation PM, as both a noun, e.g. "send me a PM," or verb, "PM me with that information," is used incredibly commonly.

I could go for "PM:"

If the word "private" simply cannot be tolerated then I'd far prefer "User Msg:" as the prefix because that should be clear in context, too.
--
Brian

Maria

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 11:57 am, HR Tech wrote:

My preference is what twitter, slack, and instagram use: The word "Direct" - as in Direct Message / Direct Reply.

I had initially thought "Private Message or Private reply" but feel direct is more accurate and mirrors language users may have acquired via social media interfaces.

 To be clear I'm fine with Private reply too, I just think it's worth considering direct/DM too as it may have advantages.

Maria

On 9 Jul 2016 at 11:57, HR Tech via Groups.io wrote:

My preference is what twitter, slack, and instagram use: The word
"Direct" - as in Direct Message / Direct Reply. I had initially thought
"Private Message or Private reply" but feel direct is more accurate and
mirrors language users may have acquired via social media interfaces.
Most web forums use "Private Message" as does Facebook. "PM me" is a
common phrase.

Personally, I would prefer "Offlist" or "OL" because of my groups'
beginnings as email lists.

In line with g.io's ability/intent to be the most configurable & powerful
group service (like the Vivaldi browser), why not a owner-specified prefix
to use for the purpose?

--
Jim
Poston@vch-nv.us

<< 'You've lived here all your life?' 'No - not yet.' >>

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 02:10 pm, Jim Poston wrote:
why not a owner-specified prefix
to use for the purpose?

I think that might confuse the heck out of people who belong to more than one group. And it adds no real functionality. I'd "vote" against this.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

On 9 Jul 2016 at 14:19, J_catlady wrote:

I think that might confuse the heck out of people who belong to more
than one group.
No more than the "confusion" of different phrases used by different
services. No matter what phrase is used, it will be different from many
other services that a user might use.

And it adds no real functionality.
It adds real functionality. It customizes the group to the wishes of the
owner.

--
Jim
Poston@vch-nv.us

<< Everybody wants to go to Heaven, but nobody wants to die. >>

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 02:28 pm, Jim Poston wrote:
No more than the "confusion" of different phrases used by different
services.

But this is ONE service. Not many different ones.

It adds real functionality. It customizes the group to the wishes of the
owner.

I wouldn't call that functionality. But maybe that's semantics.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

There are customizations that are, as Mr. Gray noted, "so much technological rococo."

By group customization of the denotation for a private message definitely falls into that category.  A standard phrase for a given service provider serves the functional purpose completely.

I'm now beginning to understand how Garmin chose to go from "everything can be set by the user" to "a few select things can be set by the user" as time progressed, not the other way around.  When you can tweak virtually everything it can, and often does, become utterly overwhelming very quickly.  There really is such a thing as too much choice, and there's research to prove it.
--
Brian

Brian,

I have nothjng against customization that deals with actual services (this proposed one doesn't ). But I agree, as you say, that even those should be limited. The best flower vendor here hands down has one arrangement per day. It's so awesome that I've never seen anything like it. Never seen half the kinds of flowers in it. It's like from outer space. And some restaurants serve one thing, and do it so spectacularly, that you're glad you don't have a choice.

Better that than being all things to all people.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 9, 2016, at 3:21 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

There are customizations that are, as Mr. Gray noted, "so much technological rococo."

By group customization of the denotation for a private message definitely falls into that category.  A standard phrase for a given service provider serves the functional purpose completely.

I'm now beginning to understand how Garmin chose to go from "everything can be set by the user" to "a few select things can be set by the user" as time progressed, not the other way around.  When you can tweak virtually everything it can, and often does, become utterly overwhelming very quickly.  There really is such a thing as too much choice, and there's research to prove it.
--
Brian

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Nightowl >8#

Jim Poston wrote:>>Personally, I would prefer "Offlist" or "OL" because of my groups' beginnings as email lists.<<

I also prefer "Offlist" if there is to be a prefix.

Brenda

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

That ship has sailed.   Even though I haven't been actively reading for days the prefix was set as "Private:"

That makes sense as it applies to both a forums format and a mailing list format.
--
Brian