locked Why is there a 2 beside "New Topic" in my left menu? #bug?

Jennifer Christian

I'm looking at the left menu for my Beta Group homepage.  A couple of weeks ago, I noticed there was a "1" there,  idly wondered whether that's where the "latest" new topic lurks, and clicked -- nothing visible.  A few days ago, it became a 2.  Maybe I did something to change it -- or one of you did.

Do you have a number there, also?  If so, what is it?

Jennifer

Duane

That's the number of drafts you have saved. Click on New Topic, then on the Drafts button to see them. You can delete them or send them.

Duane

Jennifer Christian

Duane -

Ooh, thanks.  Feeling a bit dumb.  Starting to think I often don't notice horizontal menus.

Jennifer,

It's not intuitive. You couldn't be expected to know that clicking on 'new topic' would take you to your saved drafts. It's something that will require some help documentation.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 3, 2016, at 9:13 PM, Jennifer Christian <jhchristian@...> wrote:

Duane -

Ooh, thanks.  Feeling a bit dumb.  Starting to think I often don't notice horizontal menus.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Maria

Agree, I think that the drafts page should be reached via an item in the user nav bar and  only on that item should you see the number - otherwise a newbie will think :

" Oh there are 2 new topics!"

not "Oh I have 2 drafts to finish up or discard".

Maria

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

I've never liked this setup either.  Either the navigation should read "New Topic/Drafts" (way less preferable) or there should be navigation strictly for "New Topic" and another for "Drafts" which shows the number, if greater than zero, of the drafts you have.

I figured this one out on my own a while ago, but didn't think it was bothering anyone else because it's never come up.  And I would have thought it would have come up long before this, but since the opportunity has presented itself. . .

P.S. Does anyone else consider it "something that needs to be fixed" that if a hashtag is a part of a Subject that involves a question, and the question mark is not separated from the hashtag, that the hashtag is not recognized as a hashtag?  This thread being the second example in the last week or two that pops immediately to mind.
--
Brian

Maria,

Agree, I think that the drafts page should be reached via an item in the
user nav bar and only on that item should you see the number -
otherwise a newbie will think :

" Oh there are 2 new topics!"
I don't think this is much of a problem. As soon as they click on it to see the "new topics" they'll see that the number attaches to the "Drafts" button - the nascent topics are their own.

That is, any confusion they may have will be short-lived and won't lead to any negative consequences.

-- Shal

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 12:38 pm, Shal Farley wrote:
That is, any confusion they may have will be short-lived and won't lead to any negative consequences.

 I think it has already caused some confusion, even in this group. That's how the thread started. Short-lived or not (by whatever standard), it is confusing and could be improved

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

This comes right back to tying two unrelated tasks that share nothing but the fact that one has to type something and lumping them under a single action.

I was confused, and because of how I tend to scan pages it took more than a second for me to realize what was up.  Even though I now know this, and it does not cause me any confusion, it still feels like an unnatural arrangement.  I can't think of any other place (but I'm sure someone will know of one - again, outlier) where the edit draft(s) function is not separate from New Topic/Compose.
--
Brian

Full confession: I, too, was confused. And I still have to go through mental gyrations each time I click on it.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 4, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

This comes right back to tying two unrelated tasks that share nothing but the fact that one has to type something and lumping them under a single action.

I was confused, and because of how I tend to scan pages it took more than a second for me to realize what was up.  Even though I now know this, and it does not cause me any confusion, it still feels like an unnatural arrangement.  I can't think of any other place (but I'm sure someone will know of one - again, outlier) where the edit draft(s) function is not separate from New Topic/Compose.
--
Brian

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Linda Standart

Brian, I found that little number  for the first time while I was still learning IO. I explored it and figured out what it was. Once I had it, I wasn't bothered by it any more. BUT... That said, I think it would be easier for most users if there were a specific button just for drafts. that was separate from New Topics. The thing is that not all of our users are really tech savvy and some might not understand how to explore the option and learn how to use it.

The separate button would make it easier to understand. and use the saved incomplete message

Linda S.

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 8:36 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

I've never liked this setup either.  Either the navigation should read "New Topic/Drafts" (way less preferable) or there should be navigation strictly for "New Topic" and another for "Drafts" which shows the number, if greater than zero, of the drafts you have.

I have separated out the Drafts into its own menu link. It's only displayed if there are any drafts. Please let me know what you think.

P.S. Does anyone else consider it "something that needs to be fixed" that if a hashtag is a part of a Subject that involves a question, and the question mark is not separated from the hashtag, that the hashtag is not recognized as a hashtag?  This thread being the second example in the last week or two that pops immediately to mind.

I've made that code smarter. It will ignore question marks and exclamation marks at the end of hashtags when parsing subject lines now.

just noticed the Drafts tab and am loving it.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 03:30 pm, J_catlady wrote:
just noticed the Drafts tab and am loving it.

Seconded.  I have just created a test draft and this acts precisely as I would expect it to.

This message was also "drafted" and the ticker went up, just as it should as well.  Now lets see if it goes down once I hit the "Send to Group" button in the production system.
--
Brian

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

The ticker did increase when the last message was a draft and decrease after being sent.

I also quite like that the Drafts navigation only appears when draft messages are actually present.  Otherwise it's just clutter, but I will add that it's clutter I'd prefer be a permanent fixture rather than going back to the combined New Topic with hidden drafts button.
--
Brian

Maria

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 03:27 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I have separated out the Drafts into its own menu link. It's only displayed if there are any drafts. Please let me know what you think.

It's great.

Maria