Topics

locked searching activity log for "joined" brings up blank screen #bug

Self-explanatory: Go into Activity, select Member Activity, select action = Joined, screen comes up blank. Happens in both my main group and my test group.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Duane

Hmm, works on my groups, both normal and test version.

Duane

Mine yields results for "applied for membership" but not "joined." Maybe this is because mine is a restricted group? It still seems weird. "Joined" should be when their membership was approved and I would log it as a separate step from "applied for membership." Otherwise, in a restricted group there should not be a separate search item called "joined." (Just as in a non-restricted group there should not be one called "applied for membership.")

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 8:11 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
Hmm, works on my groups, both normal and test version.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Duane

That must be it. I didn't think to check on my restricted group earlier. It shows a blank results page.

Duane

I think having a search item called "applied for membership" that yields a blank page is ok in a non-restricted group, because it's understandable. (You don't "apply for membership" in a non-restricted group.) But I don't think it's ok to have a search item "join" in a restricted group and have it yield a blank page, because people do - in the conventional use of English - "join" even a restricted group. They join it BY applying for membership and then be approved. It's non-intuitive to search on "joined" and find no members. I was sure that the system was not logging all the members who have joined the group recently, and that there was a bug. Only much later did it occur to me that the word "join" has a special meaning here.

If possible, I would remove "joined" from the search items in a restricted group - or preferably, log it as the time the membership was approved and the person DID actually join. Less importantly, because it causes no confusion, I would also remove "applied for membership" as a search item in a non-restricted group.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Duane

I was looking over the log on the restricted group this morning and discovered a related problem. Not all applications are approved, so they didn't necessarily join just because they applied. I agree that there should be a record of when their application was approved and that would be used as the join date/info.

Duane

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 7:35 AM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

If possible, I would remove "joined" from the search items in a restricted group - or preferably, log it as the time the membership was approved and the person DID actually join. Less importantly, because it causes no confusion, I would also remove "applied for membership" as a search item in a non-restricted group.

What about when you start a group as restricted and then change it to unrestricted (or vice versa)? You wouldn't be able to access the corresponding activity records that way.

Member approvals/rejections are indeed logged. They're under Moderator Activity. Look for Approved Member and Rejected Member.

Very good point about changing the group's status.

It's dumb to buy smart water.