moderated Some footer quirks

Mark,

While you're talking about footers, and since you've taken it upon yourself to obsolete my recent efforts to document them...
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Footers
I'll serve you back with this volley of quirks.

o Formatted Digest View/Reply Online link opens a Reply composition box. The View/Reply in individual messages just navigates to the message.

I'm not sure if that leads to an excess of abandoned drafts - maybe the system doesn't store the draft if the user doesn't type into the Reply composition box. Either way, I prefer just navigating to the message.

o Formatted Digest View/Reply link is followed by a count of the messages in that topic. Which seems out of place; in an individual message it is followed by the message number.

o Formatted Digest footer has the word "group" included in the linkified text, along with the group's posting address. It seems like the link should only include the address, as elsewhere.

o Formatted Digest header has the group's posting address link to the group's Messages section, in Messages view, whereas the footer has it link to the group home page. I think they should both be the group home page.

o Formatted Digest has no ToS link.

o Formatted individual footers have no automatic separators surrounding the group-specific addition. Compare to the plain-text footers. I think perhaps a short horizontal rule is in order. Say <hr style="width:10%">. Or maybe just an indent, to save vertical space

Shal

Hi Shal,

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 12:49 PM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

While you're talking about footers, and since you've taken it upon yourself to obsolete my recent efforts to document them...
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Footers

Sorry about that...

o  Formatted Digest View/Reply Online link opens a Reply composition box. The View/Reply in individual messages just navigates to the message.

I'm not sure if that leads to an excess of abandoned drafts - maybe the system doesn't store the draft if the user doesn't type into the Reply composition box. Either way, I prefer just navigating to the message.

If the user hasn't input anything, a draft isn't saved. With digests, I think it's more important to have the reply window default to open than with individual messages. With an individual message, it's easy to reply within the email program. You can't do that with a digest. So I'd venture to guess that the majority of people clicking that link in digests, are doing so to reply.

o  Formatted Digest View/Reply link is followed by a count of the messages in that topic. Which seems out of place; in an individual message it is followed by the message number.

Fixed.

o  Formatted Digest footer has the word "group" included in the linkified text, along with the group's posting address. It seems like the link should only include the address, as elsewhere.

Fixed.

o  Formatted Digest header has the group's posting address link to the group's Messages section, in Messages view, whereas the footer has it link to the group home page. I think they should both be the group home page.

Fixed.

o  Formatted Digest has no ToS link.

The individual messages are now missing the ToS links as well.

o  Formatted individual footers have no automatic separators surrounding the group-specific addition. Compare to the plain-text footers. I think perhaps a short horizontal rule is in order. Say <hr style="width:10%">. Or maybe just an indent, to save vertical space

I added the hr. Please let me know what you think.

Linda

Hi Mark, you wrote
If the user hasn't input anything, a draft isn't saved. With digests, I think it's more important to have the reply window default to open than with individual messages. With an individual message, it's easy to reply within the email program. You can't do that with a digest. So I'd venture to guess that the majority of people clicking that link in digests, are doing so to reply.

I use the link from the html digest when I want to hit the Like button, which saves an empty draft.
It would be better if a draft wasn't saved when the user hasn't input anything.

Thanks,
Linda

jamie <jaimemcgill27@...>

hi all

i have saw another thing on the footers it is missing there is not a link for going to the group home page and i used to use this all the time could this issue be fixed please

thank you jamie

If the user hasn't input anything, a draft isn't saved. With digests, I think it's more important to have the reply window default to open than with individual messages. With an individual message, it's easy to reply within the email program. You can't do that with a digest. So I'd venture to guess that the majority of people clicking that link in digests, are doing so to reply.

I use the link from the html digest when I want to hit the Like button, which saves an empty draft.
It would be better if a draft wasn't saved when the user hasn't input anything.

Thanks,
Linda

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 04:41 am, Linda wrote:
I use the link from the html digest when I want to hit the Like button, which saves an empty draft.
It would be better if a draft wasn't saved when the user hasn't input anything.
I prefer to highlight a section of text and then hit the reply button to quote it. This is much easier than hitting the quote bubble icon and then editing out all the fluff.

With the message composition box already open, I have to hit Discard first whether I eventually reply or not.

It would be better if the link simply took me to the message and let me decide what to do from there.

Bruce