moderated #suggestion - Take member directly to group if they only belong to one #suggestion

Tom Vail

As it is, when a member signs in they must then click on the group they want to go to.  If they only belong to one group, why not take them directly to that group?

For the non-tech savvy folks, who likely only belong to one group (which is the case in our group) it would be a cleaner interface for the user.  And isn't that a lot of what we are trying to achieve?

Yes, I know it is just one click.  But if you are reading this you may not be able to relate because you don't fall into the "non-tech savvy" group.

Peace,
Tom

I like the idea, but it would cause the user not to see the functions/features available on the main page, possibly forever (since, as you say, they may non-tech savvy and would never know to go one level up): topics, hashtags, calendar, "find or create a group."

Tom Vail

All those features are tabs on the left, which would not go away, and the "find or create a group" is in the upper header also not affected by the fact they do not have to click their group name in between signing in and getting to their group.  Maybe I missed your point?

Peace,
Tom

I don’t see them.

On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 02:48 pm, Tom Vail wrote:
All those features are tabs on the left
The ones on the overview page are different than the ones on the group page though.

Duane

Bob Bellizzi

I think that if one attempts to go directly  to a group's message/topic page and is not already logged in that
they will be taken to that page if they use the "email me a link to log in" function.
We have almost 3500 members between ages of 20 and 93, if I remember and since we moved to groups.io we have heard few issues with accessing the message/topic page
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Right.

On Jun 3, 2018, at 3:18 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 02:48 pm, Tom Vail wrote:
All those features are tabs on the left
The ones on the overview page are different than the ones on the group page though.

Tom Vail

Okay, I guess I did not make my suggestion clear.  So here is a step-by-step of what I was trying to suggest:

  1. Joe Member goes to the Group.IO site and clicks on "Log in"
  2. A screen comes up for him to enter his email and P/W
  3. The next screen is a list of all the groups he is a member of
  4. He clicks on his group and is taken to that group

What I'm suggesting is if the list in step 3 only has one group in it, why not just eliminate the step send him directly to the group?  (IE: If group-list >1, go to choose-group, else if group-list =1 go to group)

If they logged on to join another group, the "find or create a group" option is still at the top of the page.

This is not a suggestion made on the results of a massive number of complaints.  It is based on a presentation I did this morning on our group when I saw a way to streamline the sign on process.

Peace,
Tom

Duane

They would need some way to get to the overview page in case they needed to use the functions of the side menu items.  What happens if they're already logged in, which page does the site take them to?  They can create a bookmark to the group and skip steps 1, 2, and 3.  If their login expires (or they log out), they will get a login page via the bookmark, but it will take them to the group after they sign in again.

Duane

On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 05:28 pm, Tom Vail wrote:
I guess I did not make my suggestion clear.
You made it completely clear. The problem is that they lose the groups.io main page functionality that way, unless they know how to specifically go one level up to it.

Tom Vail

On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 05:42 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
they lose the groups.io main page functionality
Is it not true that all they have to do is click on the "Home" tab to go to the main page no matter where on the site they are?  Or is there a way to eliminate/hide the left side bar of tabs?

Peace,
Tom

On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 05:54 pm, Tom Vail wrote:
Is it not true that all they have to do is click on the "Home" tab to go to the main page
No but they can click on "groups.io" at the top. (Clicking on "Home" just takes them to the group home page.) So yes, they can get to the main groups.io page but they have to explicitly know to click on that.

The main objection I would have, even besides the problem of getting to the groups.io main page, is the inconsistency. Someone joins a second group and suddenly the landing page changes. Then they drop out of a group, leaving them back to one, and it changes back again. This has got to leave people scratching their metaphorical heads. :)

On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 06:01 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
Someone joins a second group and suddenly the landing page changes. Then they drop out of a group, leaving them back to one, and it changes back again. This has got to leave people scratching their metaphorical heads. :)
So you are saying that if someone does not have to choose their group because the system knows they only belong to one and it takes them right to it, and then they join another group they would not think something would change?  If that creates metaphorical head scratching then I would submit they would never even consider going to the Groups.io main page.

Peace,
Tom