Topics

locked the word "Edited" on edited messages is overly prominent

Edited

I just edited a message and I see that in the message list, the word "Edited" is *extremely* prominent. This is not good and I'd even call it - uh oh, that word again - unacceptable. It stands in a line all by itself, separated by a line of space from the message snippet. It's like the word "Edited" is the most important thing about the snippet.

EDIT: I'm editing this one so everyone in testversion can easily see what I'm talking about.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Whoa, this seems only to be happening in my own group. I don't see the behavior in beta....

It's dumb to buy smart water.

p.s. Yes, it is happening here after all. (I was in Threads view when I didn't see it.)

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Mark Fletcher

Saw it as well. That blank line should be gone now.

Thanks
Mark

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

I'm fine with the "Edited" tag, as it's showing now, in a cluster at the upper right with the original date and linkback link.

By the way, as I don't edit messages often at all due to the re-emailing of an edited message, is there any time limit on editing a message?  If so, what is it (or is that something that the group's moderator sets)?
--
Brian

Brian,

If you mean "as it's showing now" in the non-test version, then I agree. In testversion it's still too prominent, even with the extra line gone. It's all by itself in a line. That's wasted space and what's worse, makes the tag MUCH too prominent, etc. I would ditch this and go back to the old way. Or put it after all the hashtags.

The fact that a message was "Edited" is often (usually, I'd say) the *least* important characteristic about it. This placement makes it stand out as the most important. It draws the reader's eye, it's the last and most prominent thing in the text, etc. Writers know this. What you put at the end, the "bottom line," etc., is what draws attention and what the reader is left with. Perhaps the thought was to lessen its perceived importance by putting it at the end. But the effect is the opposite.

At minimum I'd put it after the author and date, in the same line. My first choice would be to just throw it in with the hashtags and minimize it. A middle ground would be to leave it as it is now in the non-test version.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

This is what I see:

Which is A-OK with me size and placement wise.  I don't think the "look at me blue" is necessary, though, but that's a separate issue.  The time-date-edited cluster is tucked in an unobtrusive location and collected together.

--
Brian

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Also, the height of the status cluster is precisely the height of the avatar on the left, whether it's one that's been uploaded or a default one.  It's symmetrical about the vertical axis of the message display box as well.
--
Brian

Yes, that's ok with me, too, and agreed - remove the blue. In testversion it's much too prominent.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Maria

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 01:31 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:
Which is A-OK with me size and placement wise.

 I'm fine with it too.

Maria

We're saying, ditch the testversion version. So the three of us actually agree on this? Miraculous. :-)

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Maria

Not so fast ;) I am saying I am fine with where the "edited" is placed on the screen in both the threads view and in the actual message view.

I have no opinion about the color. I abstain from that vote.

So, maybe we all do agree in some way!

Maria

Maria

Oh and I am only seeing things in testversion - i don't see the previous version any more unless i were to log out.

I'm not fine with testversion's placement of the "Edited" tag. I agree with Brian that it should back to its corner on the top right. :-)

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Maria

I'm confused. In the screenshot Brian shared the "edited" is from the test version and it's on the top right corner when in message view. Right?

Is it when it's on the bottom in the messages view (where you see all messages) that you don't like it?

Maria

Brian's screenshot is from the regular (not test) version. And I agree it's fine. So if we all agree the top right is fine, then Mark has to put it back there. LOL.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Unless - and please god, say it isn't so - there is more than one testversion?

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Maria

Test version screenshot attached:

Then this screenshot from the messages list:

Are we seeing same thing?

Maria

Yes, we're seeing the same thing. That's why I said Brian's screenshot was from the regular version. (You know, the one he said he's "fine with." And me, too.) It's in the top right there, not the bottom left, like here!

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

J,

        My screenshot is from the test version.  I still have the blue banner across the top of the screen, not black, so unless something's changed I've been running the test version almost exclusively.  I have only jumped over to "production" when I suspect there might be a difference and want to check out what the rest of the world is seeing.

         I just verified that I'm in the test version because if I go to http://groups.io/test I am currently being asked if I'd like to switch to the normal version.  I have not switched at all for the last 2 days, I think.

--
Brian