Topics

locked Feedback on New Mobile Test Version

Maria

Just starting a new thread for this.

Brian had some feedback about the spacing of the buttons in the "reply" window as well as the items in the "more" area:

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 07:33 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:

  I love the change to the "Reply to Group" button to make it green while the "Reply to Sender" button is blue and "Discard" is red.   I'm not so wild about the relatively wide spacing between the "Reply to Sender," "Discard," and "More" buttons.  I also really prefer that the Add attachments function be a button and think that a "Reply" and "Reply with Quote" link at the base of the messages would be a better way to handle that than putting "Insert Quoted Message" as part of the "More" functions list.

I'm not bothered by the spacing of the buttons. It feels great to me right now, if anything, maybe the discard button can go under the "more" button? or be centered.

But would love a paperclip icon on the reply window toolbar for attachments. The add attachments button is there on new topic so that's fine. But maybe a paperclip icon would resolve the issue for those who don't see the "add attachments" in the reply "more" menu? Or maybe they'll just get used to it as is after one or two times.

I am also ok with the "insert quoted message" as part of the "more" functions because it's an advanced user option and more likely to be used on desktop than mobile where one does quick/on the go stuff. So on mobile I'd vote to keep it there so as to keep interface very simple.

Maria

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Maria,

           What is problematic here is that I am not talking about the mobile version, at least not per se, as this is what I see on my laptop screen using the web interface.

           I'm fine with the idea of an "Add Attachments" button with paperclip icon of some sort.  That's what I'm getting at, regardless of whether mobile or not, that's the convention, and hiding attachment handling under a "more" button seems like a step backward to me.

           As far as the web presentation I'm getting, I also really don't care for the "Reply" link at the bottom of a message being centered while the like is first thing on the left.  I tend to look for controls (whether links or buttons) in closely clumped clusters, which is how they present in the "floating toolbar" that's a part of the true mobile version.  All buttons are right next to each other and centered at the bottom of the screen, although when viewing the messages in a thread the same "left like link, centered reply link, right more link [or maybe they're buttons, I can't tell when things are not rendered as buttons used to be].  On a screen as small as most mobile devices have this arrangement works fairly well.  When you expand it out to a full-sized screen, it gets clumsier and clumsier as the screen gets larger and larger.

           I am really uncertain as to what's "test version" as opposed to "stable version" at this point, as I can't and don't "flip flop" myself between them and thought that the test version stuff had "gone live" now and is in the stable version.

           Mark, perhaps you can help me get some clarity.  If there is a way that I can self-toggle between using the test versus the stable versions that would probably be better for me, as I could then literally know that I am "on the same page" regardless of the interface I'm using as someone else is when I'm looking at something.  Right now, I really don't know whether what I'm seeing is what those using the stable version are seeing or not.

--
Brian

Maria

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 07:57 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
 I am really uncertain as to what's "test version" as opposed to "stable version" at this point, as I can't and don't "flip flop" myself between them and thought that the test version stuff had "gone live" now and is in the stable version.

I recall reading that those of us who see the new test mobile version on our phones, will also see many elements of that interface on desktop as well.

I'm sure that stuff will be adjusted further for the desktop version -  I imagine it will be fine tuned for larger screens.

I am keeping my feedback mostly related to the mobile version as I know that's actively being focused on, and I imagine the desktop version will adopt the elements of mobile which work great but make them  more "desktopy"?

I see what you are saying re: the desktop like/reply and more being stretched out - but it's not bugging me. I'm on a 15inch laptop though, perhaps it's worse on a large monitor/imac.

Maria

Duane

Brian,

It seems that everything you've mentioned is the mobile version. I don't see any of them on the desktop using the web.

Duane

Duane,

It seems that everything you've mentioned is the mobile version. I
don't see any of them on the desktop using the web.
Mark earlier said that the mobile and desktop are part of the same build. So if you've been moved to the test version you're seeing the test builds of both.

Hence Brian is seeing the test build of the desktop, but you're not.

I suggested #testversion for people commenting on the test version. I thought desktop could be default with #mobile for people commenting on mobile experience.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 11:33 am, Duane wrote:
It seems that everything you've mentioned is the mobile version. I don't see any of them on the desktop using the web.

 As I've already mentioned, and more than once, those of us who were set up to be using the new mobile version as testers are *also* seeing changes in the web version that others are not.  If you weren't a "new version test guinea pig" then it's unsurprising that you're not.

I just wish there were some way I could know when what I'm looking at has ceased to be the test version, as it is not clear when everything I'm seeing may have, or have not, rolled out to the stable version.

It would be far preferable to me if there were an alternate URL that one used to clearly know that one was viewing the "testing version" of the web interface.  As it stands right now, there isn't, and I can't be certain if or whether I've been switched back to an updated version of the stable version or am still on the test version.

Mark, I guess you could consider this a "feature request" of sorts.  It had ought to be possible to have the beta software perched atop the same database of real messages as the production version, but have a specific URL that those of us who wish to be willing guinea pigs would use to be sure we were under that interface, whether on mobile platform or regular one.  There's got to be something, regardless of the mechanism, that would make it:

  1. Obvious which version, stable versus testing, one is using whether on mobile or regular.
  2. Allows the end user to flip-flop back to "the other side" where there is a need to see what's happening in one interface version versus the other.

The "tweak at the profile level where I have no way of knowing what I'm using" method is suboptimal.

Brian

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 01:54 pm, Shal Farley wrote:
I suggested #testversion for people commenting on the test version. I thought desktop could be default with #mobile for people commenting on mobile experience.

 Shal, thanks for repeating what I was typing at the time:  that those of us on the test version see changes on the mobile and desktop platforms.

That being said, I will reiterate:  There is no clear way, other than at the very start, to be certain of which version you're using after you've been using it for a while and see "Site Updates" posts that suggest or directly indicate that what you're seeing may now be a part of the stable version.  There is no marker of any kind for those of us who are using testing to know that remains the case, and as test things get rolled out to the production version it gets harder.

I actually like being a part of the testing, but have become convinced that those of us who are need some clear way of differentiating whether what we're looking at is the testing version, and a way to toggle ourselves back to "regular" if needed or preferred for some reason.

Brian

Brian,

What is problematic here is that I am not talking about the mobile
version, at least not per se, as this is what I see on my laptop screen
using the web interface.
Mark answered this a while ago: if you signed up for the test version then you're seeing the test build on all platforms.

I am really uncertain as to what's "test version" as opposed to "stable
version" at this point, as I can't and don't "flip flop" myself between
them and thought that the test version stuff had "gone live" now and is
in the stable version.
As far as I know, the only way to do that at present would be to subscribe with a second email address. Then you can switch yourself by which one you log in with.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 02:09 pm, Shal Farley wrote:

Brian,

What is problematic here is that I am not talking about the mobile
version, at least not per se, as this is what I see on my laptop screen
using the web interface.
Mark answered this a while ago: if you signed up for the test version then you're seeing the test build on all platforms.

And, as those test things "go production" and production looks like what test had looked like, life gets very, very confusing.  It's not enough, and as someone who's just jumped on the testing bandwagon recently I'm hoping to make that clear.

At some point, everything I'm seeing is likely to be everything that the other users are seeing.  It makes no sense whatsoever not to have there be some visible marker of being in the test environment, and I'm asking for one.

I can't have any sort of rational discussion regarding anything related to the production version at the moment, that's for sure, and I'm not certain what of what I currently see may have made it out to production.

Brian,

I actually like being a part of the testing, but have become convinced
that those of us who are need some clear way of differentiating whether
what we're looking at is the testing version, ...
That makes sense. Something visible, but which doesn't invalidate the testing.

Displaying an alternate Groups.io logo, like the word TEST stamped in red diagonally across it, would be obvious but not interfere with other page elements.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Maria

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 01:54 pm, Shal Farley wrote:
I suggested #testversion for people commenting on the test version.

Sorry Shal and others! I forgot to add that hashtag to this thread :(

I can't edit it now but maybe Mark can.

Brian - I see the old version when i log out and just read @beta on my ipad or desktop without signing in.

What I was trying to say in prior post was that I believe that what we are seeing in the new test version mobile and desktop are things we should be sharing feedback about -but  I am keeping in mind that the changes are being made first on mobile and then I think they will get tweaked on desktop. So some stuff, like font sizes and positioning of layout stuff might keep changing as the mobile is brought to a place that feels good. I am assuming Mark will then go to the desktop and tweak stuff there too.

So I'm not offering too much feedback yet about the desktop version because I think the mobile one needs to get finalized first.

Hope that helps.

Maria

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 02:36 pm, HR Tech wrote:
but  I am keeping in mind that the changes are being made first on mobile and then I think they will get tweaked on desktop.

 Perhaps, but even though I joined in on the testing for the mobile platform, I use it less than the desktop platform, and the two are inextricably bound in certain respects.

I will have far more input to offer, as a general rule, about what I'm seeing on the desktop testing version than mobile.  If something resolves itself then it does, but I think the two things are operating in tandem and that there could be a lot of presumptions made that are not true without timely feedback about "the user experience."

I'll keep offering observations about "the test version" regardless of which environment I'm experiencing things on, but try to be clear about the environment I'm talking about.

Brian

Maria

I am also going to make sure when I share feedback on the test version to specify which mobile device I'm viewing in ( iPhone 5 or 6+) as those screens are different sizes and then for desktop related feedback probably a good idea to specify screen size.

Maria

Maybe you should start a subgroup for mobile. Kidding. (Or am I???)

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 25, 2016, at 3:12 PM, HR Tech via Groups.io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

I am also going to make sure when I share feedback on the test version to specify which mobile device I'm viewing in ( iPhone 5 or 6+) as those screens are different sizes and then for desktop related feedback probably a good idea to specify screen size.

Maria

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Hi All,

I agree that being forced to use either the new version or the old version without the ability to switch is not wonderful. I hope to make the new version the real version on July 5th, which is I suppose one way of addressing the problem. :-)

You are seeing the test version if the navigation bar at the top is blue, not black.

And as Brian has noticed, changes to the test version for mobile are also 'bleeding into' the desktop version, hopefully for the better. Because of that, it'd be great if I could get a few more testers. You don't need to use the site on a phone. If you're interested in using the new version, please send me your email address off-list.

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 3:51 PM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Maybe you should start a subgroup for mobile. Kidding. (Or am I???)

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 25, 2016, at 3:12 PM, HR Tech via Groups.io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

I am also going to make sure when I share feedback on the test version to specify which mobile device I'm viewing in ( iPhone 5 or 6+) as those screens are different sizes and then for desktop related feedback probably a good idea to specify screen size.

Maria

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Hi All,

I've made the following changes to the new mobile version:

- There's a paperclip button in the editor toolbar now to add attachments.
- I've removed the 'Insert Quoted Message' button and replaced it with a button in the editor toolbar.
- I've changed the spacing/ordering of the Reply/Like/More buttons.
- I've updated the new search results page to use the new formatting.

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 10:04 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi Mark

- Paperclip is great

- button to add quote is great

- change of space of reply/like/more is on desktop. On mobile it's just the order. Both are great.

- search result new formatting is great

It's looking awesome.

Thank you!

Maria

Maria

Is there any way on the new mobile version, when in a message to add spacing in between the subject line and the hashtags? It feels crowded.

Maria

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 3:12 PM, HR Tech via Groups.io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

Is there any way on the new mobile version, when in a message to add spacing in between the subject line and the hashtags? It feels crowded.

I've moved around the hashtags a bunch and fixed a couple things. Please let me know what you think.

Maria

I see the change in single message view.

I'd keep the subject bolded because the hashtag boxes compete with the subject line so it needs the added weight of bold.

I like the increase in spacing between the subject line and the top of the hashtags.

I see the subject is now below the horizontal hairline whereas before it was above. I prefer it above I think... but am assuming it looked weird with the added space between subject and hashtags? If not I'd vote to put it above hairline again.

I only see the changes in single message view though and whatever you decide should probably be consistent even in thread view when you click on a thread and see the first message.

Maria