Topics

locked Unread message marking and counting

See?

I new I should have made this a new thread (#9015). Now it has caused more comment than the original subject.[1]
https://groups.io/g/beta/message/9015

The big reason to separate them is that I want the Notification overhaul to have higher relative priority.

On the other hand I know that message marking is on a card listed under "The future?" on Trello. Hence I shouldn't expect that to happen anytime soon.

In message #9094, J wrote:

It's just annoying (IMO, I know you [Brian] disagree). I would find it
especially annoying (and actually disturbing) if the count had nothing,
or not much, to do with how many messages (or threads) I've actually
read, because I'm reading some of them in email and the system doesn't
know that; and because even though no reflective of reality, it would
not go away unless I clicked on it.
https://groups.io/g/beta/message/9094

I should make clear that the unread count display I suggested in #9044 is entirely unrelated to the placement and style I imagine for the Notification counter.

In particular this would be a count of unread threads (i.e. threads with unread messages) in the Threads View list, and a count of unread messages in this thread in the single Thread View. Hence its count would be in the same units as the page's numbers.

Moreover I hadn't imagined that one could make it go away by clicking on it. But now that it's been kicked around I do think it is a good idea that there be an easy way to zero the count manually. So yes clicking on it could mark all the counted messages as "read" and hence zero the counter, but I wouldn't make the count or its context disappear.

Would there be a utility to the opposite function: "Mark all unread"? I suspect only in the single Thread View context would that be in any way useful. A way of noting that you want to review that thread sometime.

Am I missing something? I think this is the area of disagreement already
identified, and it seems to be a matter of personal taste.
I don't think you're missing anything. And I agree that it is a matter of personal taste. I don't go quite as far as Brian (I can ignore them, but ringing phones do annoy me) however this suggestion is just a number in plain text. No bouncing, flashing, colors, or other attempt to catch your eye.

Shal

1: IMO starting with the second half of 9015 the following messages belong in this thread: #9020, 9023, 9044, 9048, 9050, 9051, 9053, 9054, 9055, 9057, 9058, 9059, 9061, 9084, 9086, 9087, 9088, 9089, 9091, 9092, 9094, 9100, and 9126 (so far).

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

As an aside, but a pretty directly related one, I really think there should be a "mark this forum as read" link/button/function that shows at the top of any messages or threads view of a given group on the web interface.  I use this quite frequently where offered so that the typical "bold text if there exists new content since I last read or marked read" goes away and that function remains meaningful for me.  There are often multiple threads in which I have no interest that get "read" using the "mark this forum as read" function.
--
Brian

Great idea.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Brian,

As an aside, but a pretty directly related one, I really think there
should be a "mark this forum as read" link/button/function that shows at
the top of any messages or threads view of a given group on the web
interface.
I hadn't thought of it when I first suggested a place for the unread message count, but now I think that's very much on point. For both all unread messages (in this group) and unread in this thread.

Out at the Your Groups level, maybe even mark as read across all one's subscriptions.

Shal

Maria

I hope I am posting in the right thread (and I'll premise i haven't had a chance to catch up with all the posts in the notification overhaul thread) but I had a thought...

Now that (at least on the mobile version) there is a message counter on the thread view for each thread - it's a grey oval with a white number - what if the color of the oval switched to a slightly different color when there are posts in a thread that are new? either new because you haven't read them via web or new because they fit in a certain window of established time (24 hours? and then they age back to grey?)

This way - if you are a web user you can see there is new activity because the oval will be a different color?

And if you read via email maybe it wouldn't be exactly accurate but the number wouldn't be affected... (not a counter of what you've read) just the color would be slightly different to indicate activity?

I am writing quick and I know I haven't fully thought this through... but I just wondered if the color aspect of that oval could help with providing a gentle indicator of activity?

Maria

ro-esp

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 07:03 am, Brian Vogel wrote:

As an aside, but a pretty directly related one, I really think there should be
a "mark this forum as read" link/button/function that shows at the top of any
messages or threads view of a given group on the web interface.
If you mean "mark all messages now in this thread as read" I agree.

If you means something else, I'm not sure what you mean

groetjes, Ronaldo

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Ronaldo,

          The "mark all messages in this thread as read" function is a thing of its own that I think should be available, too, but is, as the description implies, specific to a single thread.

           A "Mark this Forum as read" function marks all messages in all threads in a given forum as read.  When you really only want to read a few of the total active threads, but want the group itself to show as having no unread messages in the next level up (Groups), that's what the "Mark this Forum as Read" gives you.  I use this feature all the time on several other sites where I'm active because it allows me to "clean the slate" for a large number of threads I have no interest in reading at all in a single click.
--
Brian