locked Suggestions for edits to “Subscription” page

Maria

Hi All

Given the thread I started detailing my confusion surrounding the "follow" process and its effect on email delivery. I looked at the subscription page and thought of how the language could have helped me better understand what was going on there. I still have a few questions/concerns re: the way following triggers retro-active individual emails which are not formatted as others, as well as why we see the option to follow if we are set to "all messages" or "no email",  but I thought sharing what may have made more sense to me language wise, would be constructive. I'm sure it could use improvement - technical writing is a skill I don't pretend to know well.

So here goes:

EMAIL DELIVERY:

Individual emails ( Shal suggested: "Immediate Delivery” in message 8974 - but in moderated groups it may not be immediate…?)
You will receive each message in an individual email

Full Featured Daily Digest
Group messages together as one email instead of being sent individually (rich formatting).

Plain Daily Digest
Group messages together as one email instead of being sent individually (plain formatting).

Special Notices Only
You will only receive special notices from the moderators.

No Email
You will receive no emails.

In the Email Delivery section above, you have chosen your preferred method of email delivery (Individual Emails, Daily Digest, Special Notices or No Email). The advanced preferences below will allow you to further customize what threads and hashtags are delivered to you in accordance with your email delivery preference settings. The default setting is all messages, please be aware that making changes below will decrease the amount of messages you receive and refine your selection to only the ones you specify.

Please note: If you have selected special notices only, or no email (** “no email” should be removed in groups where “no email” isn’t an option), the below preferences will not override your email delivery selection.  ( And perhaps this is a good area to explain what effect advanced message selection would have on a special notice/no email subscriber?)

Message Selection

All Messages
Every message posted to your group is emailed to you, according to your Email Delivery Selection, except threads or hashtags you've muted.

Following Only
Only the messages in threads or hashtags you have chosen to follow* are emailed to you, according to your Email Delivery Selection.
*Threads and hashtags can be followed by manually selecting “follow this thread/ hashtag” in the “manage my subscription” “all messages” area.

    First Message Also
    In addition to the threads and hashtags you have selected to follow, the first message of every new thread is also emailed to.

    Auto Follow Replies
    In addition to the threads and hashtags you have selected to follow, you automatically follow any threads you start or reply to.

    (I put this is a sub item of "following only" because I'm not sure why it's separated out? is it because you could just auto follow replies without selecting all messages or following only? If so then maybe this is a good area to clarify that ?)

So, just some ideas. I hope it's helpful.

Maria

Maria

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 08:12 pm, HR Tech wrote:
Message Selection

 And maybe that can have additional language to further reinforce the explanation... Like:

Message Selection -  [ customize the content of the emails/digest you receive]  In case someone didn't read the preamble.

Maria