moderated Yahoo Group transfers

Hi All,

I've made a policy change with respect to Yahoo Group transfers. Now, for free Groups.io groups, we will transfer the most recent 100,000 messages from your Yahoo group. If you have more than 100k messages and would like the entire archive transferred, I ask that you pay for a year of the premium plan (you can downgrade after that to free).

Also, I am woefully behind on responding to Yahoo Group invites. For anyone that's waiting, I humbly beg patience.

William Finn

Mark,

When does this go into effect??

Some have been waiting for two weeks before and still no acceptance of the transfer group invite.

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 9:58 PM, William Finn <liam@...> wrote:

When does this go into effect??

There's been a note at the top of the Yahoo Transfers page for a bit more than a week now, and I just pushed the final changes to the site right now.

I stopped processing group invites when I decided to make this change. The 100k number was picked so that only a very small number of groups would be affected. Also it applies per Yahoo Group, not per Groups.io group. So, you could move multiple Yahoo Groups that have over 100k messages each into one Groups.io (or one Groups.io and several subgroups of that group), and you're only upgrading one Groups.io group.

Mark,

Also, I am woefully behind on responding to Yahoo Group invites. For anyone that's waiting, I humbly beg patience.

If the CAPTCHA is a substantial bottleneck, perhaps (for Y!groups that are not invite-only) you could use the -subscribe email command, followed by the Membership Wizard to connect the subscription to the transfer agent account. Done manually that might not be any faster than the CAPTCHA, but it might be more readily automated.

Shal

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 12:36 AM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

If the CAPTCHA is a substantial bottleneck, perhaps (for Y!groups that are not invite-only) you could use the -subscribe email command, followed by the Membership Wizard to connect the subscription to the transfer agent account. Done manually that might not be any faster than the CAPTCHA, but it might be more readily automated.

It's that parenthetical that's the problem. When I first revamped the transfer system a couple of months ago, I did switch to a system that sent a -subscribe email. But it didn't work for a lot of groups, which is how I discovered that some are invite only (I previously had no idea that setting existed). It just seemed more straightforward and less prone to error to instruct people to send an invite than to ask them to go in and disable the invite only setting.

There are services that will solve captchas for you, but besides the icky feeling I'd having using one, I don't know how accurate they are.

Mark,

It's that parenthetical that's the problem. When I first revamped the transfer system a couple of months ago, I did switch to a system that sent a -subscribe email. But it didn't work for a lot of groups, which is how I discovered that some are invite only (I previously had no idea that setting existed).

Understood. I was thinking that the invite-only groups would be a tiny minority. If they are more than that in reduces the leverage of having a second method.

It just seemed more straightforward and less prone to error to instruct people to send an invite than to ask them to go in and disable the invite only setting.

True. I wasn't thinking of asking that. I was thinking that if the subscribe fails you would fall back on needing the invite.

There are services that will solve captchas for you, but besides the icky feeling I'd having using one, I don't know how accurate they are.

I was thinking of suggesting the Mechanical Turk, but that costs money. I don't know the current status of the war between Yahoo Groups' CAPTCHA and the image recognition engines that had once defeated it. But yeah, I understand not wanting to deal with the icky web.

Shal